Where Do I Shop For Tools?

Old January 9th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Where Do I Shop For Tools?

Hi there...

I need some tools to work on my own bikes. Where's the best place to
get them and who has the best prices?

Many thanks,

Casey Keller
Valencia, CA
Old January 9th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote in message
Hi there...

I need some tools to work on my own bikes. Where's the best place to
get them and who has the best prices?

Many thanks,

Casey Keller
Valencia, CA

There really aren't that many specialty tools you need for general bike
repair. A decent local shop will probably have most of what you need
(which, as I implied, won't be all that much). Bring your bike in and
they'll be able to tell you what you need for the work you'd like to do
on it.

You might also consider getting a decent repair book first, because that
will give you an idea of what you want to get into, as well as the tools
involved. The Park repair book is a very good one, and they have an
excellent on-line website that goes with it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 9th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 9, 12:18*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

the advice regarding getting the book first is the best in my opinion.
it is very easy to screw up your bike just one tool- knowledge is
better before experience
Old January 9th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 9, 11:07*am, wrote:
Hi there...

I need some tools to work on my own bikes. *Where's the best place to
get them and who has the best prices?

Many thanks,

Depends on what you wanna do. If you're planning on tearing a bike
totally apart, one of the $99 toolkits from the big online retailers
can be a good value--replacing the gimpy tools as they break--, but if
you're just truing a wheel one month, and taking off a cassette the
next, might as well just stop by the bike shop and get the specialty
tools piece by piece.

Old January 9th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike...

Thanks for responding. First, a thank you. 10 years ago when I was
first getting into cycling, you were a big, big help with all your
advice.

Yes, I have a book. I'm also about to take the beginner course at the
United Bicycle Institute up in Oregon. (let's see how many
opinionated posts THAT arouses!)

The tools I need are bike specific. A good cable cutter/crimper, a
fourth hand and a heavy duty chain tool.

Do you have a preference between Park & Pedro's? Where are they on
sale for good prices?

Thanks again,

Casey Keller
Valencia, CA

Old January 9th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 9, 10:14*am, wrote:
Mike...

Thanks for responding. *First, a thank you. *10 years ago when I was
first getting into cycling, you were a big, big help with all your
advice.

Yes, I have a book. *I'm also about to take the beginner course at the
United Bicycle Institute up in Oregon. *(let's see how many
opinionated posts THAT arouses!)

Here's an opinionated post: take your bike and your skis. The Mt.
Ashland Ski Area doesn't have much snow right now, but it is open and
a great steep and cheap small ski area very close to town.
https://www.mtashland.com/Page.asp?NavID=101

There is no snow in town or the lower hills, so take your bike and a
wide range cassette because it can get pretty steep down there. Skip
Medford (no offense to my Medford friends and family). Have fun and
let us know if the class is worth the money. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 9th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Casey: Sorry to top-post but my reader isn't properly dealing with your
email.

If you're going to UBI, I'll bet they have an arrangement with UBT
(which, I believe, used to be somehow related to UBI) for tools at a
reasonable price. I'd certainly enquire with the UBI folk first, as it
would be nice to be on the same page (using the tools they recommend in
their classes).

As for my own preferences, depends upon the tool. My mechanics have a
preference for Pedros cone wrenches, but we generally use Park for just
about everything else. There are many decent tools out there though.
Again, talk with UBI and see what they recommend.

Good luck, and have fun at UBI!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old January 11th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
wrote in message
[...]

A home mechanic does do not need special cable cutters
or cable housing cutters. To cut cable housing put some
old or left over cable in the housing at the cutting
point, put side cutters on it, then give them a good hard
squeeze. Now clean up the cut end and maybe file it.

Please post your replies after the writings you reply to.

http://www.oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#upside

--
Michael Press
Old January 11th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 10, 4:59*pm, Still Just Me wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:20:18 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

A home mechanic does do not need special cable cutters
or cable housing cutters. To cut cable housing put some
old or left over cable in the housing at the cutting
point, put side cutters on it, then give them a good hard
squeeze. Now clean up the cut end and maybe file it.

I usually find that it's best to work the cutters between the spiral
wraps so that you are cutting the housing from the inside out
(effectively) rather than crushing it. I still prefer to finish up on
the grinder and with a quick ream but there are days when that's not
an option.

A quality, sharp pair of cutters is needed to do the cable itself.

I like the Park or Shimano cable cutters for STI cable housing,
although I suppose I could use ordinary cutters with a cable in the
housing. With no cable, you squash the housing. They're not terribly
expensive and worth owning. Other worthwhile tools for the sometime-
mechanic are three-way wrenches: the usual socket and hex sizes. It
seems these days, though, that sockets are unnecessary except for add
ons like fenders. I only use sockets on my historical bikes.

Thinking my way around my current racing bike, there are no parts with
wrench flats except the hub cones and the notched external bearing
cups on the BB. No crank bolts. No pedal flats. I kind of miss
working from the outside of the crank arm with a pedal wrench rather
than from the inside with a big hex wrench or, in my case, a hex bit
in a socket. Now that I think about it, except for installing or
removing a few parts and wheel bearing repacking, all I need are a
couple hex wrenches and plastic tire irons to get by. Wrenching is
just not as interesting as it used to be. I am going to have to turn
my half-dozen or so headset wrenches in to a wind chime. -- Jay
Beattie.

Bike shop woes = need a better shop Sir Ridesalot Techniques 19 June 21st 07 03:51 PM
FA: Shop Tools Don Jernigan Marketplace 0 October 19th 06 06:17 PM
What tools do I need? elyob UK 9 July 28th 06 01:24 PM
Tools Javier Techniques 22 December 17th 05 05:27 PM