Floor Pump Chuck Replacement?

Old September 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
Ken

Default Floor Pump Chuck Replacement?

Steve Sr. wrote in
:
Does anyone know if replacement chucks are available and if so where
to get them?

Bike shops sell presta chucks. Silca and Topeak are good brands.
Old September 23rd 03, 02:24 AM
Nigel Grinter

Ken wrote in message ...
Steve Sr. wrote in
:

http://www.lickbike.com/m0038200.htm
Old September 23rd 03, 07:02 AM
Mark Hickey

Steve Sr. wrote:

I have an 20+ year old Cycle Pro floor pump that is in good shape
except the chuck is on it's way out. The original chuck is Schrader
only with a Presta adapter. The rubber in the Presta adapter has
gotten so hard that I actually pulled a stem out of a Presta tube the
last time I used it!

Does anyone know if replacement chucks are available and if so where
to get them?

I haven't really liked ANY pump head I've used for years. Until
now... I got a Topeak SmartHead for my pump, and it's a different
story. It does presta and shraeder (without changing anything), and
best of all, locks on securely with a flip of the (long) lever.
Perfection. OK, it's kinda clunky looking and too large to fit my
disc wheel... but I can live with that.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 23rd 03, 01:10 PM
Matt Locker

Steve:

I would definitely second the Topeak, which I think is a fantastic
chuck. It's easy to use for both Schraeder & Presta. I personally
think Silca pumps & their chucks are way overrated.

MOO,
Matt

Ken wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote in
:

Old September 23rd 03, 10:10 PM
GregR

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:02:42 GMT, Mark Hickey
wrote:

I haven't really liked ANY pump head I've used for years. Until
now... I got a Topeak SmartHead for my pump, and it's a different
story. It does presta and shraeder (without changing anything), and
best of all, locks on securely with a flip of the (long) lever.
Perfection. OK, it's kinda clunky looking and too large to fit my
disc wheel... but I can live with that.

Mark is right, you cant go wrong with the Topeak Smarthead. Its also
available separatley as an upgrade. Picked one out of the Performance
bargain bin today for $9

The rest suck in comparison..

A big reccomendo from me..

Old September 24th 03, 12:04 AM
Ken

Steve Sr. wrote in
:
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I'll check out Silca and Topeak.
These don't seem to be cheap at $18.50 - $26.50 for the chuck and
hose.

Silca brass presta head (clamp to your existing hose) should cost $6 to $8
(depending on model) at most bike shops. Mine is over 10 years old and still
works fine.

$26 for a chuck is pretty silly. You can buy a brand new good quality floor
pump for that much.
Old September 24th 03, 12:43 AM
Matt O'Toole

"Ken" wrote in message

$26 for a chuck is pretty silly. You can buy a brand new good quality floor
pump for that much.

Yeah, but it'll have a crappy chuck, and in a few months you'll be right back
where you started. The problem is the chuck... so fix it.

Matt O.

Old September 25th 03, 08:05 PM
Douglas Landau

Why would you ever need a new brass chuck on a Silca?
I replaced only the little rubber donut.

dl