Hi-vis backpack?

Old December 4th 04, 10:24 AM
Richard Bates

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 10:26:51 +0000, passing tyke
wrote:

I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

I cannot remember the name of the company but a leaflet arrived with
my latest copy of the CTC mag, which somebody here may be able to lay
their hands on easily...

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

Old December 4th 04, 10:59 AM
David WE Roberts

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 10:26:51 +0000, passing tyke wrote:

I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

One option is to look for a high vis rain cover.

I bought a 'One Valley' rucksack which came with a bright orange rain
cover.

I have Googled briefly but can't find this item online - I bought it in a
craft outlet in (I think) Yorkshire.

However a reflective cover would work for any backpack.

A slightly tacky variation would be to fit one of those cheap, lightweight
reflective waistcoats around your backpack, or even a Sam Brown belt.

This would at least give some reflection to aid visibility, although I
think the belt would only be really effective at night.

HTH
Dave R
Old December 4th 04, 11:02 AM
Doki

passing tyke wrote:
I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

Howies make a backpack with a big blue "keep right" arrow sign, in
reflective material.

Old December 4th 04, 11:17 AM
Hel

wrote:

I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

I cannot remember the name of the company but a leaflet arrived with my
latest copy of the CTC mag, which somebody here may be able to lay their
hands on easily...

The company is called Vissi, they do a fluorescent backpack cover with a
range of reflective designs for £8. Contact details on
http://www.vissiwear.com/ or you can buy online from
http://www.bikedock.co.uk/

Helen

--

(remove the last letter of the alphabet to e-mail me)

Old December 4th 04, 11:26 AM
Nick Kew

In article ,
passing tyke writes:
I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

Use panniers, not a backpack. Far easier and more comfortable.

Failing that, have you contemplated whether one of those bright yellow
stripes could be suitably attached to your pack?

--
Nick Kew
Old December 4th 04, 11:46 AM
Tony Raven

passing tyke wrote:
I wear a high visibility jacket for cycling. Unfortunately, once I've
out my backpack on, most of it is covered up (I'm very small). Does
anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material? I've Googled in vain.

I've sometimes worn my jacket over my backpack - mainly to keep the rain
off it and to stop the sweaty bit where the backpack presses the jacket
onto your back. It would also solve your problem.

Tony
Old December 4th 04, 02:43 PM
Ian Smith

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:02:26 -0000, Doki wrote:

Howies make a backpack with a big blue "keep right" arrow sign, in
reflective material.

Which is a monumentally stupid thing to wear on your back, and I'm
surprised the powers that be haven't stopped them selling the things.

Two questions:

What happens when you want to turn right?

Do you really think it's a good idea to dress up as an item of
street furniture?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Old December 4th 04, 07:51 PM
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a backpack made of the same flourescent
material?

Get a backpack that you like. This is itself hard.

Then sew some 3M reflectolite strip to it. This stuff is expensive
(few quid a yard), but easy enough to find from a haberdasher's.
Another source (which may be much cheaper) is to find a hi-vis jacket
and cut it apart.

The sewing isn't hard. Finding a good backpack is.

Or, given that you're quite small, try a backpack aimed at schoolkids.
Many of these have reflective panels.

--
Smert' spamionam