Pulse Rate Monitor

Old March 24th 15, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Pulse Rate Monitor

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:05:44 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 23/03/2015 9:33 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:57:13 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 23/03/2015 8:49 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B. Slocomb:
Any suggestions?

Find out if you smartphone supports something called "ANT+".

If it does, consider getting just a chest band and one of the freebie
pulse monitoring apps.

I think most current smart phones running an app like MapMyRide or
RideWithGPS or whatever will support ANT+ and HRMs.

The problem for me is that the display on the phone isn't usually
visible in sunlight. They do make these adapters now with typical cycle
computer displays that connect to your phone via blue tooth.
I'm not sure though that after all that you aren't better off just
getting a lower end Garmin or similar.

I don't much use a GPS, other than occasionally when I get lost :-)
and I find that in sunlight my hand phones are nearly impossible to
read. I had a wrist watch type of pulse monitor some years ago that
worked well.

Then I guess the first question is why not use the one you were happy
with? Assuming you can't get that one, are you looking for a self
contained device or something that acts as a sensor and connects to a
phone? The second question is what do you consider cheap? You can get
the self contained ones for ~50 from amazon or ebay.

I intend to :-) My original inquiry was intended to get (hopefully)
some suggestions for specific makes and model pulse monitors.

As I thought I'd explained sourcing from America can be a trial. If
the goods are shipped by mail it is usually not a problem, but a great
many companies seem to ship only via FedEx, or other shipping
companies, and that can be a problem.

I use it mainly to keep myself slowed down - I tend to
get all big headed and get with it.... then ten miles further I
realize that I shouldn't have done that :-(

Yeah, pacing is something that takes time to learn. Keep at it and with
experience you should be ok. g

Geeze, I've been at it for 20 years, or so. Will I ever learn :-)

Practice practice practice.
--
duane
Old March 24th 15, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay old and decrepit...why the monitor caws O n D reduces attention and comprehension

bit by bit....

one bit over the line and.....

its the 15% on Monday morning

Old March 24th 15, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 02:36:22 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. Slocomb considered Tue, 24 Mar 2015
08:06:43 +0700 the perfect time to write:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:12:07 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. Slocomb considered Mon, 23 Mar 2015
10:19:02 +0700 the perfect time to write:

I would like to use a pulse rate monitor when riding. But which one.

I can calculate pulse rate ranges, maximum rate, etc., and want
something that primarily tells me what my current pulse is. If it has
a second line that tells me what range I'm in, fine, it is not a
problem, nor do I care if it records hours of riding. I'm mainly
interested in "what I'm doing right NOW" and when I stop "how quick
does my pulse return to normal"?

These monitors are not especially common here and mail order from
America is usually not the best method of procurement due to shipping,
import duties and so on. I did find a Garmin shop that has several
models - a Forerunner (three models) and a VIVOfit. I'm assuming, at
the moment, that either choice would include added cost for the chest
band.

Any suggestions?

For decent reliability at a reasonable price, I'd recommend Polar
every time, and although they don't seem to have an agent in Thailand,
some shops seem to sell them (there's one in Phuket that I've seen
recommended).
So we might need to know which countries is it easiest for you to deal
with and how important backup service is - the chest straps usually
have an embedded battery that needs to be changed (only every few
years) by a service centre - Singapore has Polar agents, and they
might be your closest.

Of course, there may be "no-name" HRMs that will do what you want for
less than a base model Polar, but quality would be far more of a
gamble.

Yup, I had a Polar years ago. I stopped using it when the elastic in
the chest strap wore out. When I went back to the place I bought it
(15 years later) they weren't there :-(

I just got back from five days in Singapore but was so busy while I
was there that I never gave any thought to HRM's. Although, I might
add, costs in Singapore have risen to the point that it is no longer
"the place to go to buy stuff".

Give me a reference to the Phuket place, if you have it, as I'll go
down there in a week or so.

Good thing that browsers keep history :-)

Phuket Bicycle Shop
14/34 Moo1, Chalong, Muang
83130 Phuket
tel: 076-375922

RPM Health Club
68/2 Thapkrasatre Rd., Koh Kaew, Muang
83200 Phuket
tel: 076-360885
fax: 076-360887

I've got them.

The bike shop at Chalong is kind of interesting. I think I've vaguely
heard of it but my impression was that it was a sort of part time,
hobby, sort of shop - I like bikes and maybe I can make a buck at it -
sort of place. But I'll have a look when I'm down there.

The reference comes from a previous person recommending on a web
forum, and is a couple of years old, so I'd phone before putting
significant traveling in, if I were you.

A slightly more recent reference gives the Thai importer (and service
agent, which I didn't find on the Polar global website) as SpXZone.
Apparently (at the time of that posting) they have an office in "The
Trendy" (whatever that is) on Sukhumvit soi 13. Tel: 02-646 2508, and
I believe they also have a website with a list of dealers.
Found a further reference he
http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/busines.../spx-zone.html
Since I only speak English and bad English with a smattering of
gobbledygook I can't make any headway from there, but you might.

My Google-fu must be improving :-)

Yes there is SpXZone - that is the Trendy Building and from what I can
gather they are an importer that supplies mainly these "Fitness
Centers" that are springing up.

I've got one other place to visit to see if they stock the Polar and
if not I'll call SpXZone and see if they can put me onto their
retailers.

I also ran across a Garmin shop that sells "fitness" devices as well
as GPS and they stock a watch sort of gizmo that includes a HRM chest
band in the package at about the price I seen mentioned in U.S.
adverts that I may pursue.

But I did learn something. I discovered that apparently one can't just
get up and run 6 Km before breakfast like we used to. Now you have to
spend a couple of hundred bucks to buy a "fitness Band" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 24th 15, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

O.K. got those and will visit when I'm next in Phuket. Maybe next
week.

The reference comes from a previous person recommending on a web
forum, and is a couple of years old, so I'd phone before putting
significant traveling in, if I were you.

A slightly more recent reference gives the Thai importer (and service
agent, which I didn't find on the Polar global website) as SpXZone.
Apparently (at the time of that posting) they have an office in "The
Trendy" (whatever that is) on Sukhumvit soi 13. Tel: 02-646 2508, and
I believe they also have a website with a list of dealers.
Found a further reference he
http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/busines.../spx-zone.html
Since I only speak English and bad English with a smattering of
gobbledygook I can't make any headway from there, but you might.

Yup. They are in the "Trendy Building" and apparently are an importer
and supplier for the "Fitness Centers" that are becoming rather
"trendy" here :-)

I also discovered a Garmin Center that sells "fitness Bands" that
appear to be necessary to improve fitness. I wonder about the old days
when one just got up a little early and ran 5 K before breakfast :-)

Old March 24th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 5:15:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
HELLO JAY this is your monitor. The right ventricle is slowing 15% every hour.

http://goo.gl/fMoAON

I had an early Polar monitor that I used about five times, and then it died. This was back in the early 90s. I didn't miss it and was never one for scientific training. I don't need technology to tell me how bad I suck.

My formula for riding within my limits: ride with slow people. Otherwise, I'll chase -- regardless of what my heart is doing. I chased my brother up a hill (or tried) while basically dying of a pulmonary (saddle) embolism (from a leg clot after a fracture repair). I literally couldn't breathe, but I still made it home at about 1/4 speed, and ultimately to the cardiac ward. That was the only time my brother beat me to the top of a hill. BTW, I chalk-up my survival to good heart heath from riding.

Now that I'm old and decrepit, I still chase, but more like an old dog with a short attention span, but that still gets my heart going.

-- Jay Beattie.

I find that as long as one is alone it is easy to just pedal along and
have a good time but when these young whippersnappers whip by
maintaining the steady pace is very difficult and one tries to catch
up, and sometime does. Whereupon the rest of the ride becomes a drag
(one might say).

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 24th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Duane:
I'm not sure though that after all that you aren't better off just
getting a lower end Garmin or similar.

In spite of what I said earlier, I would have to agree with that. Also,
with the Android Phone/ANT+ approach, the phone could be at risk
depending on the activity.

For paddling, I actually have two units: a fancy-schmancy one that shows
heartbeat and bunch of other things and an older, cheaper one that just
shows speed in large letters.

There is something to be said for simple dedicated devices.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 24th 15, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

couldn't get worser

Heart Rate monitor [email protected] UK 2 January 22nd 09 09:59 AM
Heart rate monitor? John Burns UK 2 October 20th 07 09:39 PM
Heart Rate Monitor Help Neil Watson Australia 3 April 27th 04 04:00 AM
Heart Rate Monitor Giant ATX 860 Mountain Biking 12 April 2nd 04 01:17 AM
Herat Rate Monitor Jim Mountain Biking 13 February 10th 04 06:28 AM