Tubular Clencher Tires

Old February 25th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Tubular Clencher Tires

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 11:29:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 8:23:27 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:32:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 2:38:05 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 08:44:49 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/22/2019 8:47 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

The first AFAIK was the Clement 2001:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...a-e35b050d3d89

I would prefer a set of used race wheels with actual
tubulars (roughly the same price as two new Tufos).

As always YMMV.

The problem is that tubular wheels just aren't that common over here.
I don't believe that I have ever seen a new set of tubular wheels in a
bike shop.

Yes, I could order them from somewhere and then pay the shipping and
import duty to get them into the country which usually makes them
considerably more expensive then e-bay in the U.S. but just like many
posters here, I'm cheap :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Since you can buy tubular carbon or aluminum wheels really cheap -$300 a set or so, and since USPS delivers to Thailand if memory serves - it isn't like using tubulars would be difficult. Moreover, Amazon can deliver tubulars pretty cheaply.

The problem isn't delivery per se. The problem is shipping and import
duties which is charged on CIF (Cost, Insurance, Freight).

--
Cheers,
John B.

You need no insurance and often no freight on Ebay sales. But tubulars are NOT a good tire to use as the large number of tubular wheels for sale with virtually no use show.

I'm just telling you how customs duties are determined in Thailand. It
is on CIF, Cost, Insurance, Freight. I suppose that you could tell the
Customs department that you paid no freight on something but I doubt
that they would believe you, given that there is going to be some sort
of shipping document that shows a cost.

I'm not arguing what is right or wrong, I'm simply telling you what
the Customs Department does here.

Contrary to claims, a tubular can pop off the rim under the proper (improper?) conditions and they are usually racing tires with very poor wear characteristics. I tried them for awhile, learned their shortcomings including taking them apart to fix a flat and having to re-sew the sewup back together and dropped them. 5 or 6 years ago I discovered an entire dairy crate full of sewups - most of them new - on a shelf in the garage. The guy that owned the local racing team gave them to me before he died. I offered them for almost free on Craig's list and not one taker. So I tossed them in the garbage.

So clinchers are slightly better and my feeling is that Tubeless will turn out to be better yet. At least the tubeless I'm using now are all sorts of superior to what I previously thought were tubeless.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 25th 19, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 14:39:49 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/23/2019 4:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

New tubular wheels are a totally different subject. And
price range!
Check with the used-bike shops, or at a cycle club, for used
race wheels first.

I have never seen a tubular rim or wheel for sale in a bike shop here
and, if I remember correctly, I've seen, perhaps, one set of tubular
wheels at the big swap meet held at the Telephone Authority of
Thailand and that was probably a year ago.

The Telephone Authority seems a strange place for a swap meet but
apparently someone who works there is a 'bike nut" and got the
Authority to let him use the parking lot for a swap meet. You pay
about 10 dollars to rent a space about 6 x 6 feet for the weekend.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 25th 19, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/24/2019 6:06 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

I looked on Ebay Singapore, assuming you could make a visit
there, and found no used classic race wheels. Cheapest
tubular wheel sets are carbon rims, new from China, around
US$155/pr. Probably too expensive for the purpose,
confirming your thoughts above that used race wheels are
uncommon in the region. Here, rideable used race wheels are
often below $100/set and plentiful at swap meets.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 25th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:02:46 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Singapore is about a two hour flight from Bangkok and on the economy
airlines not expensive, perhaps US$100. We usually visit at least once
a year although we haven't been there for a couple of years now.
Getting old, I guess.

There are still a couple of shops there that get into the nuts and
bolts of bicycles, rather than just selling bright shiny new ones, and
I can check with them next time I go. I know that they both build
wheels so I might even have a pair made. Generally speaking, Chinese
made stuff is substantially cheaper in Singapore then what I see
mentioned in U.S. adverts so I might even look into having a set of
spiffy carbon wheels made.

(Although I'm not sure how well carbon fiber aero wheels will go with
my 50, or so, year old down tube shifter steel frame bikes :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 25th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 9:47:33 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

They were supposed to give the benefits of sew-ups without the glue mess. I only ever knew of one guy that rode them, who commented they seemed a bit squirrely, that was at a training race some years ago. I know he never bought another set. You might find them comfortable as long as you aren't taking any high speed corners on choppy pave' (like the industrial park we were in). He was one of the better crit riders around, so I took him at his word..
Old February 25th 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 15:07:30 -0800 (PST), Zen Cycle
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I think that if I can locate a second hand set of
tubular wheels that I'll try those as I checked the prices at the one
supplier I've found here that sells tubular clincher tires and it was
a bit breath taking.

--
Cheers,
John B.

wtb: tubular tires Lee Marketplace 2 June 4th 05 09:15 PM
F/s *** Tubular Tires *** Dan Donnelly Marketplace 0 March 11th 05 04:22 PM
F/S *** TUBULAR TIRES *** CritUSA Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 02:35 PM
FA: Tubular tires Steven L. Sheffield Marketplace 0 November 13th 04 03:09 AM
F/S *** TUBULAR TIRES *** CritUSA Marketplace 0 November 11th 04 09:46 PM