Compact cranks: Bontrager Race x lite vs FSA SL-K MegaExo?

Old March 28th 05, 05:03 PM

Default Compact cranks: Bontrager Race x lite vs FSA SL-K MegaExo?

I'm ordering a new bike and I have my choice between these two compact
cranks; Bontrager Race-X-Lite or FSA SL-K MegaExo.

I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, pro's, cons,
around stiffness, bearing reliability, shifting between rings, etc.
The FSA's are slightly more expensive, but that is not an issue. Also,
I believe the FSA's may be slightly lighter as well.

Thanks

Old March 28th 05, 09:03 PM

Mark Maral writes:

I'm ordering a new bike and I have my choice between these two
compact cranks; Bontrager Race-X-Lite or FSA SL-K MegaExo.

I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, pro's,
cons, around stiffness, bearing reliability, shifting between rings,
etc. The FSA's are slightly more expensive, but that is not an
issue. Also, I believe the FSA's may be slightly lighter as well.

I see in the Trek page a subliminal message in their text:

# Trouble-free carbon arms that are lightweight and durable.

# 7075-T6 alloy chainrings with hard plated gray finish for
exceptional durability.

# Tru-Vativ Giga X-Pipe bottom bracket assembly eliminates power
robbing flex.

# Available for standard, triple or compact road chainrings.

I haven't seen aluminum cranks proffered as "trouble free" or
"durable". This appears to contain a message. Names like "Giga
X-Pipe" is not reassuring either. All this under a push for credible
"exceptional durability".

I think they have a problem with durability and I'll stay with my old
metal cranks until they have sorted it out. I've had enough problems
with crank failures to undertake a new series of reliability tests for
a component manufacturer at my expense.