stainless steel chain

Old March 15th 15, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default stainless steel chain

I got hold of a stainless steel chain a while back and
the guy said there was no need to oil it because of
the stainlessness. Is that true?

And, when I examine the chain now, the plates are
indeed rust free, but it appears not so the cylinders
in between. Is this common? If so, is it not false
advertising?

--
underground experts united
Old March 15th 15, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Emanuel Berg schreef op 15-3-2015 om 11:45:
I got hold of a stainless steel chain a while back and
the guy said there was no need to oil it because of
the stainlessness. Is that true?

And, when I examine the chain now, the plates are
indeed rust free, but it appears not so the cylinders
in between. Is this common? If so, is it not false
advertising?

They only good property of stainless is that is doesn't rust. Of course
you have to lube the chain. It is common that the cilinders are not
stainless, only the outerplates are stainless. Stainless steel chain is
a waste of money IMO.

Lou
Old March 15th 15, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

https://www.google.com/#q=METALS+LOW+FRICTION+SURFACE

BRASS and bronze are 'slippery'...the Worlds fair Exhibit at the Smithsonian is filled with brass bushinged machinery.

Babbit may be slippery..you now Babbit ?

http://goo.gl/yxsGlt

stainless nuts n bolts at the hardware store are usually weak mmmm like grade 2 or 2+...marine stainless is better and costs more...then there is Chinese stainless, prob Japanese which is prob good, and Americam (maybe)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=wbkjjr

tap the stainless blue link at bottom chart
Old March 15th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 12:01:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

https://www.google.com/#q=METALS+LOW+FRICTION+SURFACE

BRASS and bronze are 'slippery'...the Worlds fair Exhibit at the Smithsonian is filled with brass bushinged machinery.

Babbit may be slippery..you now Babbit ?

http://goo.gl/yxsGlt

stainless nuts n bolts at the hardware store are usually weak mmmm like grade 2 or 2+...marine stainless is better and costs more...then there is Chinese stainless, prob Japanese which is prob good, and Americam (maybe)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=wbkjjr

tap the stainless blue link at bottom chart

sssssssssssssssssssssssssteel

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-st...sheets/=wbkq6d
Old March 23rd 15, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 3/15/2015 5:45 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I got hold of a stainless steel chain a while back and
the guy said there was no need to oil it because of
the stainlessness. Is that true?

And, when I examine the chain now, the plates are
indeed rust free, but it appears not so the cylinders
in between. Is this common? If so, is it not false
advertising?

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

Old March 23rd 15, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:42:39 -0500, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

On 3/15/2015 5:45 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I got hold of a stainless steel chain a while back and
the guy said there was no need to oil it because of
the stainlessness. Is that true?

And, when I examine the chain now, the plates are
indeed rust free, but it appears not so the cylinders
in between. Is this common? If so, is it not false
advertising?

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

Strange. I lived on a auxiliary powered sail boat for about 15 years
and was never aware that stainless wasn't to be used on a boat. In
fact the propeller shaft on that boat was stainless and had a bronze
propeller mounted on it. I would go further and say that every modern
sea going boat I've seen, except for the rare aluminum boat, had a
stainless prop shaft.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 24th 15, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:27:35 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. Slocomb considered Mon, 23 Mar 2015
20:55:38 +0700 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

[...]

Not only that, but most boats intended for salt-water use have a
sacrificial anode (usually zinc) to prevent galvanic corrosion
attacking things like bronze propellers.
It is frequently a condition of insurance that such anodes (and their
connections) are checked regularly, and replaced when necessary.
Losing the blades of your propeller because the anode has corroded
away can mean that your insurance won't cover you for either salvage
or loss.

There's a good description of how they affect corrosion in the Tom
Clancy book "Without Remorse" (first book chronologically of the Jack
Ryan series, set in the early 70's).

The term should probably be "All boats intended for salt water" as
even some wooden boats have anodes attached. In fact a few years ago
there was a very scholarly article in "Practical Boar Owner"
discussing the effect of "too many" anodes on a wooden boat and the
damage that could occur.

But galvanic corrosion can also occur in a Marina where the shore
electrical system has leaks "to ground".

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 26th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

wrote:

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

Strange. I lived on a auxiliary powered sail boat for about 15 years
and was never aware that stainless wasn't to be used on a boat....

Not a boat, a ship.
And not the whole ship, just the submerged part of the hull.

Most enclosed-hull boats I've seen had all kinds of stainless deck
fittings and railings. Those are safer to fail and easier to fix than
the underside of a 200,000 ton bulk carrier ship tho.
Old March 27th 15, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

Strange. I lived on a auxiliary powered sail boat for about 15 years
and was never aware that stainless wasn't to be used on a boat....

Not a boat, a ship.
And not the whole ship, just the submerged part of the hull.

Most enclosed-hull boats I've seen had all kinds of stainless deck
fittings and railings. Those are safer to fail and easier to fix than
the underside of a 200,000 ton bulk carrier ship tho.

The submerged portions of a ship's hull are not made from "stainless
steel" for the simple reason that it "costs like hell" to do that.
Instead the hull is made from more normal (read cheaper) steel and
made thicker by a "corrosion factor" to allow for the thinning of the
plating due to corrosion over the life of the vessel.

If "stainless steel" were to be reduced in price (probably not likely)
and if it became cost wise to do so ships would be built from it.

It might be noted that stainless steel yacht hulls have been built and
it is rarely done due to cost reasons. Current stainless scrap prices
are about $1,560/long ton while common steel scrap is $260, so using
that example your boat hull would cost you 6 times as much if made
from stainless.

The Emma Maersk (the largest ship ever built at the time) cost US
$145,000,000 to build. Six times that price and you are talking real
money...
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 27th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/03/15 21:42, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 3/15/2015 5:45 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I got hold of a stainless steel chain a while back and
the guy said there was no need to oil it because of
the stainlessness. Is that true?

And, when I examine the chain now, the plates are
indeed rust free, but it appears not so the cylinders
in between. Is this common? If so, is it not false
advertising?

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

It seems that on ships hulls it is the low oxygen environment that
causes most of the problem. The protective layer cannot form fast
enough. On a bicycle chain I doubt this is an issue, unless you throw
the bike in the sea...

The rollers are likely hardened steel and not so stainless.

--
JS