Plastic Part Threaded into Al: Grease?

Old March 22nd 15, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Plastic Part Threaded into Al: Grease?

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 7:57:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
just give the dude a gift certificate or $$$...

In my effort, needed a 3rd nonprofit party

URINE ....MOVE...https://www.google.com/#q=USD+MARK
Old March 23rd 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:06:31 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/22/2015 3:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I am reassembling some el-cheapo quill pedals and the bearing surfaces
are embedded in a plastic sleeve that screws into the pedal body.

viz: http://tinyurl.com/o3cfny8

Should I grease those threads? Normally I wouldn't think twice, but
with the rotational nature of pedals and the downside of the things
backing out in use...

We don't. Many similar models have threadlock on those
threads but 'bearing assembly unscrew from pedal' is rare at
any rate.

I believe that for plastic parts Loctite, among others, produce a
special thread-locking goo. Loctite 425 for one.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 23rd 15, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:45:48 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Andre Jute:
The context is that us Europeans can only look with envy on the very low prices you Americans pay for components.

I am in the process of trying to send a GoPro Hero cam go a guy in
Germany.

Straight-up, unsolicited gift.

I *thought* I was going to just click a few boxes on Amazon.com, fill in
the shipping address and forget about it. Turns out that Amazon
declines to ship that item to Germany.... and I am beginning to
understand why.

Such a mess... Right now I see at least 19% VAT tax and/or up to 50%
"Gift" tax - the worst part being that I currently have no clue what he
will get hit with on his end.

A little bit like giving somebody a puppy and calling it a "Gift".

Where is The Global Marketplace when I need it? .... -)

I don't know if it is applicable here, but some years ago I looked
into exporting (to the US) some clockwork timer devices. I checked
with the U.S. Customs and found that the customs charges on "clock,
clockwork, etc" was too much additional cost and decided the scheme
was a loser. Sometime later I discovered that the devices were
imported (by someone else) and sold for a reasonable price and when I
investigated it turned out that "clock parts" were a very low customs
rate and by partially disassembling the timers the importers were able
to import the parts and sell them at a competitive cost.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 23rd 15, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John B.....is what Cresswell said

Old March 23rd 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/22/2015 6:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
The context is that us Europeans can only look with envy on the very low prices you Americans pay for components.

I am in the process of trying to send a GoPro Hero cam go a guy in
Germany.

Straight-up, unsolicited gift.

I *thought* I was going to just click a few boxes on Amazon.com, fill in
the shipping address and forget about it. Turns out that Amazon
declines to ship that item to Germany.... and I am beginning to
understand why.

Such a mess... Right now I see at least 19% VAT tax and/or up to 50%
"Gift" tax - the worst part being that I currently have no clue what he
will get hit with on his end.

A little bit like giving somebody a puppy and calling it a "Gift".

Where is The Global Marketplace when I need it? .... -)

There's a current thread at rec.autos about the State
Vehicle Inspection scam. Same book, different chapter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:15:04 PM UTC, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
Since you have the professional answer already, I hope you won't think I'm hijacking your thread, Pete. I'm interested in what you consider el-cheapo for pedals. The context is that us Europeans can only look with envy on the very low prices you Americans pay for components.

$20-30 as in http://tinyurl.com/mqxcqck

Those are not an exact match but they look superficially very similar.
--
Pete Cresswell

Thanks. My fave pedal, the VP-191 sealed bearing platform pedal, is under 20 euro over here, probably cheaper in the States. But it isn't a specialty pedal, just a very good value, very smooth utility pedal.

Andre Jute
Old March 23rd 15, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:45:52 PM UTC, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

You'll go nuts trying to work out the permutations of costs. I was trying to explain to my wife why US$40 of goods she bought will cost $120-130 at our door and eventually just gave up; she'll see when the parcel is delivered..

But it can work. There's a sole supplier of a certain paint brand in Europe who is a ripoff merchant. I bought the same paint that he wants about a $100 for in his London store in the States for $32 and the landed cost here, including all taxes (sales, customs, fees) was about $64. But that depended on Amazon's fixed rate postage (lower than USPS) and deal with the courier not to charge me for filling in the form.

***

Have you priced buying the camera at Amazon.de for delivery there? If that is unreasonable, check out the "others available" at Amazon.com, until you find one that will deliver. I've found that Amazon itself (look for the little Prime logo) has the best deal for carriage/customs etc on foreign delivery. Many other dealers on Amazon won't deliver outside the US but Amazon refuses only when they bought the goods under a restrictive geographic agreement.

Andre Jute
Old March 23rd 15, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 4:45:52 PM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
The context is that us Europeans can only look with envy on the very low prices you Americans pay for components.

I am in the process of trying to send a GoPro Hero cam go a guy in
Germany.

Straight-up, unsolicited gift.

I *thought* I was going to just click a few boxes on Amazon.com, fill in
the shipping address and forget about it. Turns out that Amazon
declines to ship that item to Germany.... and I am beginning to
understand why.

Such a mess... Right now I see at least 19% VAT tax and/or up to 50%
"Gift" tax - the worst part being that I currently have no clue what he
will get hit with on his end.

A little bit like giving somebody a puppy and calling it a "Gift".

Where is The Global Marketplace when I need it? .... -)

Gift tax? Christmas in Germany must be more complicated than tax season. Do you give a gift along with the German version of a 1099? Can you avoid the tax by purchasing in the US and shipping to Germany?

I'm taken aback by Andre's comment because Lou gets Contis so cheap, and Wiggle has unbelievably low prices -- PBK, too.

Here in PDX, we're headed in to the spring shop-a-thon with all the bike shops running sales -- warehouse sales with some great deals, if you don't mind the herd scene and can avoid Costco-fever (frenzied buying of cheap-ish items that are unnecessary, redundant, etc.)

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 15, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 23/03/2015 10:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We don't have VAT exactly in Canada but we do have import taxes. I
found this the hard way buying some Assos bibs for half the local price
and ended up paying more in the end. The trick here seems to be to keep
it under $100 CA.

BTW went to my LBS for their spring sale Saturday and it was snowing
like all hell. -16C and windy today. Not feeling much like spring.
Old March 23rd 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 7:50:21 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
[...]

We have import duties, too, although enforcement is lax when ordering from certain U.K. sellers and using certain shippers. DHL will stick you -- don't use them. Import duties vary by component, and some parts have no duty. http://www.dutycalculator.com/popula...s-for-bicycle/

Sales tax varies by state. There is a federal "gift tax" -- subject to a $14,000 annual exemption -- and of course no VAT.

The dollar is pretty strong right now, and one of my partners is headed to Vancouver for a vacation. It was about $.75 USD/$1 Canadian a week or two ago (IIRC), but it seems to be trending up a little -- closer to $.79 USD. He's getting some killer deals on hotels. Vancouver is closer than California, and if the dollar stays strong, I think I'll go there during the summer. It's like a bit-o-Europe, but you can drive there, eh?

-- Jay Beattie.