How to Protect Cogs Teeth from Wearing Out?

Old March 27th 15, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Red Cloud

Default How to Protect Cogs Teeth from Wearing Out?

Tell me about it. Not all cogs are stainless. I guess only solution to protect or slow down from cogs teeth corrosion is applying anti-rusting oil or there is
proper way I dunno.
Old March 27th 15, 10:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:20:01 AM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
Tell me about it. Not all cogs are stainless. I guess only solution to protect or slow down from cogs teeth corrosion is applying anti-rusting oil or there is
proper way I dunno.

is the chain too tight ?

on a sharp toothed cyclocross bike, using Pedro's 2.0 lubing cogs with small brush after cleaning, allowing 2.0 drying time.

Then before a longer ride, at intervals or after a time off, re-wetting the 2.0 with CRC HD Silicone spray from Wal...liberally on cogs/chain/CR

Chain and cogs wear out together, replaced as a unit.

Visually qualifying cog wear is difficult ?
Old March 27th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Red Cloud

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:57:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:20:01 AM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
Tell me about it. Not all cogs are stainless. I guess only solution to protect or slow down from cogs teeth corrosion is applying anti-rusting oil or there is
proper way I dunno.

is the chain too tight ?

on a sharp toothed cyclocross bike, using Pedro's 2.0 lubing cogs with small brush after cleaning, allowing 2.0 drying time.

Then before a longer ride, at intervals or after a time off, re-wetting the 2.0 with CRC HD Silicone spray from Wal...liberally on cogs/chain/CR

Chain and cogs wear out together, replaced as a unit.

Visually qualifying cog wear is difficult ?

Using CRC HD Silicon ?
what is CRC HD?

Old March 27th 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:58:24 PM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:57:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:20:01 AM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
Tell me about it. Not all cogs are stainless. I guess only solution to protect or slow down from cogs teeth corrosion is applying anti-rusting oil or there is
proper way I dunno.

is the chain too tight ?

on a sharp toothed cyclocross bike, using Pedro's 2.0 lubing cogs with small brush after cleaning, allowing 2.0 drying time.

Then before a longer ride, at intervals or after a time off, re-wetting the 2.0 with CRC HD Silicone spray from Wal...liberally on cogs/chain/CR

Chain and cogs wear out together, replaced as a unit.

Visually qualifying cog wear is difficult ?

Using CRC HD Silicon ?
what is CRC HD?

Walmart is cheap, maybe in town ? in the auto section of spray cans there a red and white CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray can. The liquid is a light lubricant solvent that liquefies, adds fresh lube to the Pedro's wax.

Spraying the rear cogs with CRC lubes all cog surfaces. Don't spray the rim braking area, use a piece of cardboard cut to fit for catching excess spray.

If weather rains where yo are try CRC Belt Dressing. Spray the Belt Dressing on a clean rim braking surface and pads. This CRC adds grip, prevents pad/rim wear.

Push bike while holding an alcoholed paper towel against rim braking surface or clean with paint thinner same way then use alcohol removing the thinner. Spray with CRC. Works great. 2-3X normal stopping power. Throw you over the bars.