Country Roads & DOGS

Old June 30th 04, 08:58 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Country Roads & DOGS

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:09:31 -0700, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:
You'd have to be pretty slow or have a very fast dog for him to keep up
on road rides.

How slow? 8 mph? 6 mph? I'm often going slower than that, struggling
to get up a big hill, or dead from the last big hill as I struggle
up a minor hill.
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 30th 04, 09:40 PM
GaryG

"Monty" wrote in message
Halt, it works like a charm!
http://www.magidglove.com/product.as...d=279&pf_id=32

Full-strength pepper spray works just as well on dogs as the watered down
Halt product. Plus, it can also provide a degree of protection in case of a
confrontation with the dog's owner (or any other two-legged varmint).

GG

Old June 30th 04, 09:52 PM
Roger Zoul

Rick Onanian wrote:
:: On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:01:16 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::::: dogs. Probably the largest breed of dog to ever live, based on
::::: various records. Various types of current mastiffs run from 130
::::: pounds to 200 plus, so they are definitely in the running for the
::::: largest dog you don't want to meet in a dark alley.
:::
::: But can they keep up with someone riding a bicycle?
::
:: No, I don't think so; bicycles don't fit dogs well. However,
:: running, they can keep up.
::
:: G

Funny guy! But seriously, can/could a dog run with me at say 15 mph average
for 50 miles or so? Might that be hard on the paws?

Old June 30th 04, 10:32 PM
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:
You'd have to be pretty slow or have a very fast dog for him to keep up
on road rides.

How slow? 8 mph? 6 mph? I'm often going slower than that, struggling
to get up a big hill, or dead from the last big hill as I struggle
up a minor hill.
--
Rick Onanian

It's not the hills that the dog will have problems with. He'll probably
cream you there. It's the flats and the descents. On the flats, my tempo
speed is about 30-35 km/h depending on the day and my mood, faster in a
paceline. I don't know of very many dogs that can exceed 30 km/h for
more than 5 minutes.

For cyclists interested in bringing along their own dog on the road, I
recommend a very small dog, one which can be carried as cargo. Not very
useful for self-defense, though.

I love dogs, and haven't had a serious problem with a dog since a large
chihuahua bit me in grade school. But there are dogs and circumstances
in which I would say warranted lethal force. Since I don't travel armed,
the next best option is to use one's bicycle as a weapon: it's a big,
metal, distracting thing, and if you can get the dog to go after it, you
might be able to pin the dog under it, at which point you have probably
won. All bets are off when dealing with multiple dogs. Ride the heck out
of there and hope you're faster than either the dogs or your slowest
riding companion .

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old June 30th 04, 10:39 PM
Badger_South

:: wrote:
::::: dogs. Probably the largest breed of dog to ever live, based on
::::: various records. Various types of current mastiffs run from 130
::::: pounds to 200 plus, so they are definitely in the running for the
::::: largest dog you don't want to meet in a dark alley.
:::
::: But can they keep up with someone riding a bicycle?
::
:: No, I don't think so; bicycles don't fit dogs well. However,
:: running, they can keep up.
::
:: G

Funny guy! But seriously, can/could a dog run with me at say 15 mph average
for 50 miles or so? Might that be hard on the paws?

Lesse, what are your times for the Iditarod? g,d&r

-B

Old June 30th 04, 10:55 PM
Max

In article ,
"TAT 57" wrote:

After a 5 year absence from road cycling I am back on the bike. I ride some
great rural roads mainly in farm country. It seems every house I pass has a
large dog and they all love to chase the bike. What's the best way to deal
with the dog???

pull a cat on a skateboard.

..max

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old June 30th 04, 11:22 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:55:14 GMT, Max wrote:

In article ,
"TAT 57" wrote:

After a 5 year absence from road cycling I am back on the bike. I ride some
great rural roads mainly in farm country. It seems every house I pass has a
large dog and they all love to chase the bike. What's the best way to deal
with the dog???

pull a cat on a skateboard.

.max

Wheeled catapult, eh?

-B
Is that a vicious attack-cat in your jersey pocket?

Old June 30th 04, 11:28 PM
The Real Bev

Rick Onanian wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
You'd have to be pretty slow or have a very fast dog for him to keep up
on road rides.

How slow? 8 mph? 6 mph? I'm often going slower than that, struggling
to get up a big hill, or dead from the last big hill as I struggle
up a minor hill.

I once paced a dachshund running flat out at 7 mph, but I don't think he
could have kept it up very long. If you have to slow down on a hill,
wouldn't he have to slow down too?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 30th 04, 11:58 PM
The Real Bev

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
You'd have to be pretty slow or have a very fast dog for him to keep up
on road rides.

How slow? 8 mph? 6 mph? I'm often going slower than that, struggling
to get up a big hill, or dead from the last big hill as I struggle
up a minor hill.

It's not the hills that the dog will have problems with. He'll probably
cream you there. It's the flats and the descents. On the flats, my tempo
speed is about 30-35 km/h depending on the day and my mood, faster in a
paceline. I don't know of very many dogs that can exceed 30 km/h for
more than 5 minutes.

For cyclists interested in bringing along their own dog on the road, I
recommend a very small dog, one which can be carried as cargo. Not very
useful for self-defense, though.

Depends on how far you can throw him. The more he weighs the closer
you'll have to be, but the longer it will take the big dog to eat him.

I love dogs, and haven't had a serious problem with a dog since a large
chihuahua bit me in grade school. But there are dogs and circumstances
in which I would say warranted lethal force. Since I don't travel armed,
the next best option is to use one's bicycle as a weapon: it's a big,
metal, distracting thing, and if you can get the dog to go after it, you
might be able to pin the dog under it, at which point you have probably
won.

And then the dog throws up his paws and says "OK, King's X, you win, see
you next week..."

All bets are off when dealing with multiple dogs. Ride the heck out
of there and hope you're faster than either the dogs or your slowest
riding companion .

Carry dog biscuits. Others have said that it's bad to train a dog to
chase bikers for treats, but things are very different when the beast is
looking for lunch.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 1st 04, 02:05 AM
Gooserider

"TAT 57" wrote in message
After a 5 year absence from road cycling I am back on the bike. I ride

some
great rural roads mainly in farm country. It seems every house I pass has

large dog and they all love to chase the bike. What's the best way to

deal
with the dog???

Sprint. Sprint hard. Either that, or:

1) Buy a pepper spray deterrent. Halt is good.
2) Buy a loud horn. Tends to work.
3) Fill a water bottle with ammonia. A spray to the face is good.

Or, you could just call animal control.