10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

Old March 28th 05, 05:25 AM
bfd

Default 10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.

Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

One "advantage" of DA over Ultegra, DA has 3 year warranty; ultegra is only
2 years. For STI shifters, I would get DA. Everything else ultegra.However,
since DA 10 triple isn't out yet, you're out of luck as the current DA 10
STI levers are only double.

Also, since you're looking at triple, no DA 10 triple yet. When DA 10 triple
does come out, the triple crank will have the same proprietary 92mm
inner/granny chainring that DA 9 has and will be limited to one (1)
chainring - 30t. For more versatility, get the ultegra triple crank, it has
a 74mm inner/granny chainring that will allow you to substitute up to 24 or
26t chainring if you so desire.

Old March 28th 05, 02:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Steve Sr. wrote:
I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.

Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Thanks,

Steve

I would not spend any money on DA 9s...for the triple. In )ctober, 10s
will come out and you find diffuculty in the future finding DA 9s stuff.

PLUS DA 9s levers, particularly the right one, is NOT the most reliable,
lomg lasting thing out there.

Be sure to find a good wrench to install it all as the DA 9s and ultegra
10s triple is finnicky, to say the least.

Might look at Centaur/Chorus for some really reliable triple stuff.
Old March 29th 05, 03:06 AM
Tom Sherman

Pietro Chisholmo wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

However, with 9-speed Shimano there is the option to use MTB derailleurs
and cassettes.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 29th 05, 03:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Tom Sherman wrote:
Pietro Chisholmo wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

Well, with the 13-29 option of Campagnolo and long cages, something that
no road shimano der has, I have often changed the freehub of a Campag
hub to a shimano compatible one, added a long cage der, and then a
11-34, say.

BTW-starting in October, with DA 10s triple, no mas MTB rear cogs. SINCE
DA 10s is NOT compatible with shimano 9s cogs, even tho Campag 10s IS...