dealing with magpies

Old April 9th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Default dealing with magpies

Mike Elliott wrote:

Well I'll be hornswoggled. But a cyclist with a helmet -- more
alarming than dangerous,* or no?

* Of course a sudden rat-a-tat on my helmet might cause me to
perform random steering and braking actions and cause injury,
I reckon!

Absolutely right. But it's usually the repeated sound of a beak
snapping shut and/or an impact onto the helmet.

John

Old April 9th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:40:15 -0700, Mike Elliott
wrote:

ross_w wrote:

This is pretty much a question for Australian readers, unless there
are other countries with birds that get aggressive during nesting
season.

My problem is that my route to work takes me past a magpie nesting
tree. Last September these magpies attacked me every time I went past
this tree, and I have the dents in my helmet to show for it. they tend
to fly up and attack from behind your head with their beaks.

Gracious me -- I've never been attacked by birds before, walking or
riding (I live in SoCal). I imagine it could be quite alarming if
unexpected! Is that the main issue, the surprise and pest factor? No
actual damage done to one's body?

Dear Mike,

Bird attacks on people are less common in the US, but they do occur in
certain poorly run ballparks:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,5191122.story

Red-tail, Red Sox, victim named A. Rodriguez, hard not to see an
anti-Yankee conspiracy.

Non-humans suffer much more often.

Red-tail red racer:
http://i18.tinypic.com/66jacmp.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 9th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I'll call Mrs. Daniels see if she knows anything about this. &*&&^%!!!
the gatorade bottle POPPED *&&&%%rCC
Old April 9th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ross_w

wrote:

ross_w wrote:

[...]

Interesting that such an attack is newsworthy.

Here they don't rate a mention individually, although TV news and
papers often run general stories about the issue in the spring. They
respond to press releases from the National Parks & Wildlife Service
to remind people, particularly children, to be careful where magpies
might be nesting.
Old April 9th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ross_w

On Apr 10, 6:28 am, Mike Elliott wrote:
On 4/9/2008 1:16 PM John Henderson wrote:

Mike Elliott wrote:

Well I'll be hornswoggled. But a cyclist with a helmet -- more
alarming than dangerous,* or no?

* Of course a sudden rat-a-tat on my helmet might cause me to
perform random steering and braking actions and cause injury,
I reckon!

Absolutely right. But it's usually the repeated sound of a beak
snapping shut and/or an impact onto the helmet.

Well then -- I'd drive a bunch of 12-penny through the helmet from the
inside and make it all spiky outside. One could add a black helmet, some
leather, and studs to complete the look.

Like the suggestion to use wireties, but with attitude.

--
Mike RJS

....except that wire ties won't penetrate the skull on impact with a
hard surface. (your skull, not the magpie's)
Old April 10th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the wave breaks
on distant
shores
Old April 10th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
the wave breaks
on distant
shores

TSUNAMI!!!

Old April 10th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ross_w wrote:
On Apr 10, 6:20 am, wrote:
[...]
Bird attacks on people are less common in the US, but they do occur in
certain poorly run ballparks:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,5191122.story

Red-tail, Red Sox, victim named A. Rodriguez, hard not to see an
anti-Yankee conspiracy.
[...]

Interesting that such an attack is newsworthy.

You have to have some knowledge of Major League Baseball to understand.
If the name of the hawk attack victim was not almost exactly the same
(one extra letter) as that of arguably the best player on the Red Sox's
most hated rival (New York Yankees), it would not have been nearly so
newsworthy.

Old April 10th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
John Henderson wrote:

Mike Elliott wrote:

Gracious me -- I've never been attacked by birds before,
walking or riding (I live in SoCal). I imagine it could be
quite alarming if unexpected! Is that the main issue, the
surprise and pest factor? No actual damage done to one's body?

While it's very unusual, and mostly limited to the very young or
very old, people have suffered significant damage to eyes in
attacks by Australian magpies. They approach silently from
behind, and it's reasonably common for them to draw blood from
scalp or ears unless fended off.

Only certain magpies attack humans (maybe 10% to pluck a figure
out of thin air) during nesting season, and cyclists seem more
likely to be attacked than pedestrians.

I believe I've seen magpie parents instructing near-fully-grown
young which targets to attack. On the other hand, magpies
which are fed by people also tend to "introduce" their young to
these human friends in a very close and trusting manner.

Extortion.

--
Michael Press

Magpies Travis Australia 8 November 7th 07 09:09 AM
Swooping magpies spiz Australia 15 October 8th 05 01:08 PM
Magpies season Kenzo Australia 23 September 24th 05 03:14 AM
Magpies Shabby Australia 11 September 3rd 05 01:01 AM
Magpies and helmets just us Australia 9 November 10th 04 10:08 AM