3 flat tires in a row??

Old April 17th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 3 flat tires in a row??

On Apr 16, 4:10 pm, catzz66 wrote:
c wrote:

the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
into that next time i have a free hour

new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
though, oh well), etc

side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
bicyclist after all

I was one of the ones to recommend kevlar. They are a *lot* harder for
me to mount, and I did it on two bikes, but I want to say I have 1,100
miles on my main bike and 600 on my second bike since the last rainy
season and have had one flat. (Knocks on wood.) It was a presta tube
failure where the stem broke off of the tube from the daily flexing
airing it up.

Both my bikes are road bikes and I mostly ride in a big city and
occasionally ride in a very rural area a couple hundred miles away when
visiting relatives. I plan to stick with kevlar.

i went earlier this evening, on my way to the market, and asked about
kevlar - they told me they could do it right then and there, so it's
done

it was $35 per tire, but i only did the back one

i'm pretty excited =) the guys told me if i got a flat (that tire)
*again* they'd fix it free (which, in their language, means both
they're tired of fixing my flats and seeing my face and they took care
of the tire for real)

so thanks for the tip =)

(and the other guy who mentioned heavy-duty tires)

and FYI for the haters: it took 6 minutes, i looked at my phone

there was a hole almost the size of a pea in my old tube, but they
didn't find the culprit

Old April 17th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 16, 6:40 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
though, oh well), etc

Troll.

hahhahahahhahahaaha

*plonk*
Old April 17th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Roger Zoul wrote:
[..]
Define normal? When **** happens is that normal? Yes, it is normal for ****
to happen. And what about extra ****? Is it normal for extra **** to happen
sometimes? Er, yep. Sometimes **** heaps up upon ****.[...]

No ****?

Old April 17th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"c" (who?) anonymously wrote:
a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of bitches ... too
much time on your hands? wtf...

The advice given was in line with experienced cyclist practice.

the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal

i appreciate your attention and care

i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
on the road in about 10 minutes

so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
off my hands for 10 minutes, etc

Nitrile rubber medical gloves work well for this procedure.

-- why is the minority of this group
so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?[...]

This group is a bunch of softies compared to RTB and RBR.

Old April 17th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Default OT Troll Bait (was: 3 flat tires in a row??)

[...] Were you ever a Boy Scout? Remember the motto?
No atheists or homosexuals allowed?

=v= The Boy Scout Motto is "Beep Repaired." Which is great
for fixing your horn, not so much for your tires.
HTH, HAND,
_Jym_

Old April 17th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Camilo

On Apr 16, 10:45 am, c wrote:
a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of bitches ... too
much time on your hands? wtf...

the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal

i appreciate your attention and care

i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
on the road in about 10 minutes

so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
off my hands for 10 minutes, etc -- why is the minority of this group
so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?

those who told me it's stupid to not know the source of the flat are
right on ... i don't mind being insulted because you're being helpful
on balance

the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
into that next time i have a free hour

new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
though, oh well), etc

side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
bicyclist after all

thanks,

C: of course one of the reasons to fix it yourself is so you know for
sure what each flat is caused by. If they're pinch flats, you need to
use higher pressure and/or larger tires. If they're debris, well then
it's bad luck, but that can be mitigated by more observant and careful
riding and tougher tires. If it's a spoke or rough spot in the rim,
better rim tape and/or dressing (smoothing out) the rough spot will
help.

Although I tend to agree that a flat is something that one should fix
him/her self, I would never disagree with your choice because I almost
always pay people to do things I can't do, don't want to do, or dont'
have the time to do - many of which I am perfectly capable of doing
myself. Some years I'll do a complete tune up on my bike and the
multiple other bikes in my house. Other years, I don't feel like
messing with it and pay the LBS to do it. Big deal!

All those guys who criticize: how many of you wouldn't hesitate to
pay the neighbor kid to mow the lawn or clean the gutters or shovel
the driveway?

Good luck.
Old April 17th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Camilo" wrote

All those guys who criticize: how many of you wouldn't hesitate to
pay the neighbor kid to mow the lawn or clean the gutters or shovel
the driveway?

Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a century in the heat of
summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
$5, I might just take that offer.

Old April 17th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Roger Zoul" wrote: Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a
century in the heat of
summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
$5, I might just take that offer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah--enterprising kid. Prolly threw some tacks on the road and then lurked
in the bushes. And then grew up to become head of Enron. :-0

Old April 17th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Leo Lichtman" wrote i

"Roger Zoul" wrote: Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a
century in the heat of
summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
$5, I might just take that offer.

Yeah--enterprising kid. Prolly threw some tacks on the road and then
lurked in the bushes. And then grew up to become head of Enron. :-0

Well, at least he had enough sense not to charge $16! And I'd have enough
sense not to hire him again a few miles down the road.

Flat Resistant or Flat Proof Tires Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 9 February 3rd 07 06:35 AM
Mysterious flat tires Bob Newman General 22 June 3rd 06 02:37 AM
Run Flat tires Bert L.am Techniques 19 December 15th 04 11:27 AM
Kerry's flat tires Art Harris General 133 November 10th 04 01:13 AM
Flat Tires TRIKKE8 Australia 0 November 7th 04 03:39 PM