No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

Old July 5th 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

On 7/5/2016 3:07 PM, John Doe wrote:
McMaster Carr does not have 26 TPI threaded bolts.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote in :

possible here USA this size is used for an in motion nut mechanism

see McMaster Carr

I wuz looking at fabbing a remote headlamp aiming mechanism

otherwise try the Practical Machinist

https://www.google.com/#q=threaded+r...s-26+is+metric

Right, it's not an SAE format.

If you want a bolt ( not an axle) try Whitworth 3/16-26t:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/fab-pa...whitworth.html

Whitworth are measured by radius not diameter. In a handy
way the wrench size matches the radius.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 5th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/4/2016 10:24 PM, John Doe wrote:
That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle material
just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24 to 27
TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is 24 TPI.

You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
length you are looking for. I.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161.
But finding a local bike shop with any is going to be tough.

I had a broken 10.5mm x 26TPI nut and Andrew Muzi had some and sold them
to me. No LBS had any. One local shop had some 13/32 x 26 TPI
(13/32=10.32) which would have worked well enough. So contact Andrew and
I'm sure he could set you up with what you need.
Old July 5th 16, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 4:07:10 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
McMaster Carr does not have 26 TPI threaded bolts.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote in :

possible here USA this size is used for an in motion nut mechanism

see McMaster Carr

I wuz looking at fabbing a remote headlamp aiming mechanism

otherwise try the Practical Machinist

https://www.google.com/#q=threaded+r...s-26+is+metric

right, I wrote this. M CARR has similar used for mechanisms...expensive.

try Wheels 9.5 ?

what you need is a conversion.

RETHREAD !

Old July 6th 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 5:21:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/5/2016 3:07 PM, John Doe wrote:
McMaster Carr does not have 26 TPI threaded bolts.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote in :

possible here USA this size is used for an in motion nut mechanism

see McMaster Carr

I wuz looking at fabbing a remote headlamp aiming mechanism

otherwise try the Practical Machinist

https://www.google.com/#q=threaded+r...s-26+is+metric

Right, it's not an SAE format.

If you want a bolt ( not an axle) try Whitworth 3/16-26t:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/fab-pa...whitworth.html

Whitworth are measured by radius not diameter. In a handy
way the wrench size matches the radius.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

hahahahehehewuhwuh.....nothin a solid #10 wont cure
Old July 6th 16, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

sms wrote:

John Doe wrote:

That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
material just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
24 TPI.

You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
length you are looking for. I.e.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161. But finding a local bike shop
with any is going to be tough.

Yes 3/8" 26 TPI axles are easy to find on fleaBay. I ordered a couple of
them as a workaround.

To fix all of the bent axles by just buying some threaded rod and
cutting it to size would be easy and a lot cheaper, if only 26 TPI
threaded rod were available in the USA. Buying threaded rod would be
great since that would provide a choice between different types of
steel.

Maybe someday I will be able to convert to some 24 TPI threaded rod
axle, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to figure it out
right now.

Old July 6th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 8:41:05 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

ask The Practical Machinist

Wheels axles are super. Very strong against freewheel bending but ver straightenable in a vise with a 11 pound short handle hammer. sendum an email inquiry
Old July 6th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/5/2016 8:41 PM, John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

You can also buy rolls of baling wire and try making your own spokes, I
suppose. Not that I recommend it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 6th 16, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spam
John Doe[_3_]

A nym-shifting troll...

Old July 6th 16, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/5/2016 7:41 PM, John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

A short visit to any competent LBS which commonly services
bicycles would benefit you greatly. It's almost certainly an
m9.5x1.0 solid axle (from your various descriptions) which
may be replaced by a name-brand m10x1 axle set for roughly
$10~$20.

Usual admonitions- change the bearings as well, cleanliness
matters, fill with grease to the depth of the bearing,
adjust as free as possible without sideplay, oil axle
threads and lock locknuts firmly.

Old July 8th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

sms wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

wait .... what does

fill with silicon bicycle hub grease to depth of bearing

mean in English ?

we doahn oil the axle threads in the 21C, we clean threads n nuts....then add red Loctite on one side the left and blue lock on the right

oil.....divinity deleted no wonder you left town......