Crooked handlebars. What do you do?

Old June 16th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Crooked handlebars. What do you do?

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 12:54:19 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
wrote:

I just go for a test ride up and down the
street, few hundred yards each way. Carry an
Allen wrench. When you get back to the
driveway, turn the bars. Repeat the test
rides until you get back to the driveway and
don't want to change the angle. I doubt I can
patent this ingenious method. I use the same
method for saddle height and handlebar angle
in the stem. Test and trial. After you
eyeball it pretty close to start with.

Why does the angle/height change from
tightening the expander bolt?

When did I or anyone say changing the bars was related to the expander bolt? On a quill stem the expander bolt changes the straightness angle and height. The clamp bolt changes the tilt of the bars. Three different movements. Two controlled by the same bolt. You have to adjust all three angles initially with the two bolts. Tighten the bolts. Then go for a test ride and see if all three angles are good or bad. Then loosen and tighten the bots and make your adjustments. Eventually you will end up with your bars where you want them.

I just tried to
push a handlebar and as expected this was
possible without much force. The bolt wasn't
exactly loose but it was possible to give it an
additional torque. I was tempted to push the
bar again but didn't do so. So now I'm sure it
is impossible to do, happy ever after.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Old June 16th 18, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:23:32 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:04:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I just go for a test ride up and down the street, few hundred yards each way. Carry an Allen wrench. When you get back to the driveway, turn the bars. Repeat the test rides until you get back to the driveway and don't want to change the angle. I doubt I can patent this ingenious method. I use the same method for saddle height and handlebar angle in the stem. Test and trial. After you eyeball it pretty close to start with.

Yes, that's what I've always done. I decided it was a bit of PITA.

Yes its a PITA. But its necessary. No matter what trick you use first, you have to test it and more than likely make some adjustments. Think of it like clothes. No matter what the chart says will fit you. You still have to put the clothes on and see if they really fit or not. Hassle, PITA!!!! But you don't know they fit you until you try them on. Just like you don't know the bars are at the right position until you try and adjust them.

I like the straightedge on the fork trick. It's easy and saves that bit of
trial and error.

- Frank Krygowski