rust inside the frame how to treat it

Old July 30th 05, 05:52 AM
Jim Adney

Default rust inside the frame how to treat it

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:40:25 GMT Jasper Janssen
wrote:

You're confused. Gore-Tex *is* the fabric application, all the others use
the regular trade name "Teflon". You may have heard of it.

There really are other products sold under the trade name Gore-Tex. I
thought they were all rather recent things, because I only started
seeing them in the last 10-15 years, but they really are out there.
I've been seeing it advertized as a particular type of insulated wire.
I've never used it and don't know what its particular strengths might
be.

OTOH, I don't know if they are really any different from Teflon,
except, possibly, for differences in the ownership of the trade name.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old July 30th 05, 02:31 PM
C.J.Patten

"Jim Adney" wrote in message

LPS-3 is a much more useful product for this kind of work, and you'd
find that it would pass the test you suggest with flying colors. You
may have trouble finding it, however. Most hardware stores only carry
LPS-1, so you may have to try an industrial supply house.

Visit most major airports that have an aviation maintenance organization and
you should be able to buy a can of LPS-3 or equivalent.

Old July 30th 05, 02:59 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 29 Jul 2005 14:06:25 -0700, wrote:

It is absolutely not apparent. I know folks who use Gore-Tex tape when
installing bottom brackets. I know cyclists with Gore-Tex ligaments.
Gore-tex clothing is but one small product line for the company, and
all the products bear Gore-Tex in the name. The clothing line was not
even close to being the first product application (insulation for high
spec wiring was, starting in 1954). My point is, be careful with your
verbage, something you warn others about from time to time.

You're full of ****. Gore-Tex's own website claims they started looking
for applications of PTFE in 1958 (20 years after it was invented at DuPont
in 1938 -- DuPont's trade name for the stuff is Teflon, which is why it's
commonly known as such. Naming rights go to the inventor). I can't easily
find when they started using the trade name 'Gore-Tex', let alone using it
for all products, but dollars to donuts it came with the explosion of the
TEXtiles. Incidentally, using "Gore-Tex" plumber's tape rather than
generic PTFE tape is pretty much an example of Jobst's "no advantages
except for brand name and price" thing.

Ah, here it is: "Bill Gore was a DuPont research chemist working in
fluropolymers, and based on a suggestion by his son, Robert W. "Bob" Gore,
he developed and patented a process for insulating wires with Teflon
(DuPont's trade name for PTFE). A decade later, Bob invented Gore-Tex, an
expanded form of PTFE"

In other words, Gore-Tex, despite the current-day Marketing Buzzwords
applied to all of Gore Corp's products, refers to the fabric.

Jasper

Rust prevention Bob Wheeler Techniques 9 June 22nd 05 02:32 AM
spot rust removing w/o damaging surounding paint feld Techniques 7 May 23rd 04 02:57 AM
Custom Unicycles - Why? JJuggle Unicycling 10 August 26th 03 12:41 AM
Dent in frame Neil Guthrie Mountain Biking 6 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM