OT You can put up signs, but these cyclists know better

Old November 26th 10, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default OT You can put up signs, but these cyclists know better

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone heard them
screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Old November 26th 10, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone
heard them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...CGY_ice_jam_10
1125/20101125/?hub=CalgaryHome

So they were pillocks, so what?

.... and they were Canadian ...

--
Paul - xxx
Old November 26th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone
heard them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...CGY_ice_jam_10
1125/20101125/?hub=CalgaryHome

So they were pillocks, so what?

... and they were Canadian ...

--
Paul - xxx

Are British cyclists as intensely stupid?

Mr Pounder

Old November 28th 10, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone heard
them screaming and rescued them.
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Warnings about anything and everything however trivial get scattered around
by authorities why is it so surprising when they are ignored?

Old November 28th 10, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 28/11/2010 19:46, DavidR wrote:

wrote

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone heard
them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Warnings about anything and everything however trivial get scattered around
by authorities why is it so surprising when they are ignored?

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand?
Old November 29th 10, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"JNugent" wrote in message
On 28/11/2010 19:46, DavidR wrote:

wrote

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone heard
them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Warnings about anything and everything however trivial get scattered
around
by authorities why is it so surprising when they are ignored?

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand?

Plenty of "road closed" remain open to pedestrians (and hence pushers or
carriers of bikes). They generally only apply universally if a bridge is
physically missing.

Old November 29th 10, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 29/11/2010 00:02, DavidR wrote:
wrote in message
On 28/11/2010 19:46, DavidR wrote:

wrote

ignored all the warnings and rode through. Unfortunately someone heard
them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Warnings about anything and everything however trivial get scattered
around
by authorities why is it so surprising when they are ignored?

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand?

Plenty of "road closed" remain open to pedestrians (and hence pushers or
carriers of bikes). They generally only apply universally if a bridge is
physically missing.

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand to riders of bicycles?
Old November 29th 10, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

JNugent wrote:

Warnings about anything and everything however trivial get
scattered around by authorities why is it so surprising when
they are ignored?

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand?

Plenty of "road closed" remain open to pedestrians (and hence
pushers or carriers of bikes). They generally only apply
universally if a bridge is physically missing.

Is "ROAD CLOSED" that difficult to understand to riders of bicycles?

I came to a ROAD CLOSED on Wednesday night caused by a car accident. It
was quite clear that there was no room for a car to get through but
oodles of room for a bike or pedestrian. So I asked the policeman in
attendance and he told me to cycle through but keep to the pavement
which I did.

I doubt most of the ROAD CLOSURE signs out there have the required TTRO
to make them legal. But even if they have, they apply to traffic which
does not include pedestrians and pedestrians wheeling bikes.

Tony
Old November 29th 10, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default You can put up signs, but motorists know better, or think they do

On Nov 26, 5:56*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in ...

Mrcheerful wrote:

ignored all the warnings and rode through. *Unfortunately someone
heard them screaming and rescued them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...CGY_ice_jam_10
1125/20101125/?hub=CalgaryHome

So they were pillocks, so what?

... and they were Canadian ...

--
Paul - xxx

Are British cyclists as intensely stupid?

If they are they are vastly outnumbered by stupid motorists.

By the way the most obvious signs which a majority of motorists ignore
are speed limits.

Doug.

Old November 29th 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Tony Raven wrote:

I came to a ROAD CLOSED on Wednesday night caused by a car
accident. It was quite clear that there was no room for a car to
get through but oodles of room for a bike or pedestrian. So I
asked the policeman in attendance and he told me to cycle through
but keep to the pavement which I did.

In similar situations (which I come across depressingly often - three
in the last six months, for example) I have only once not been allowed
through by the police.

The one in question was when my normal route crossed the bridge which
the concrete lorry fell off a couple of weeks ago. That really was
closed when I got to it (an hour or two after the lorry went through
the parapet). I expect they weren't allowing pedestrians over it
either. However, I'd been allowed through two roadblocks to get
to near the bridge, where I knew an alternative route to avoid
actually going over it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Left-turning cyclists could be exempt from stop signs. Doug[_3_] UK 285 November 2nd 08 12:08 PM
Odd road signs Sandy Morton UK 5 November 25th 06 10:58 AM
Cycling signs Tony Raven UK 1 November 5th 05 08:49 PM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM
no uni signs einrad_traum Unicycling 6 July 8th 04 05:19 AM