Hamstring dominant pedaling style?

Old April 6th 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Hamstring dominant pedaling style?

A friend in a distant city recently phoned me about her knee problem.
She described a lump behind her knee, and said that massaging it, etc.
generates a sort of "twanging" feel, as if a tendon is being plucked.
An electrical sensation then travels down into her foot. (I think I'm
remembering that correctly.)

She saw a physical therapist today, who suggested that she may be
bicycling in a "hamstring dominant" mode. Supposedly she's going to be
set up with a bike fit expert. But I've seen her ride and don't recall
noticing anything unusual about bike fit or pedaling.

However, I don't consider myself a bike fit expert. So: Has anyone here
heard of similar ailments, or of "hamstring dominant" cycling?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 7th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 07/04/17 08:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
A friend in a distant city recently phoned me about her knee problem.
She described a lump behind her knee, and said that massaging it, etc.
generates a sort of "twanging" feel, as if a tendon is being plucked. An
electrical sensation then travels down into her foot. (I think I'm
remembering that correctly.)

She saw a physical therapist today, who suggested that she may be
bicycling in a "hamstring dominant" mode. Supposedly she's going to be
set up with a bike fit expert. But I've seen her ride and don't recall
noticing anything unusual about bike fit or pedaling.

However, I don't consider myself a bike fit expert. So: Has anyone here
heard of similar ailments, or of "hamstring dominant" cycling?

Not so much, but a friend got really shortened hamstrings after his
saddle slowly (over months) slid back on the post rails without him
noticing.

--
JS
Old April 7th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:39:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
A friend in a distant city recently phoned me about her knee problem.
She described a lump behind her knee, and said that massaging it, etc.
generates a sort of "twanging" feel, as if a tendon is being plucked.
An electrical sensation then travels down into her foot. (I think I'm
remembering that correctly.)

She saw a physical therapist today, who suggested that she may be
bicycling in a "hamstring dominant" mode. Supposedly she's going to
be set up with a bike fit expert. But I've seen her ride and don't
recall noticing anything unusual about bike fit or pedaling.

However, I don't consider myself a bike fit expert. So: Has anyone
here heard of similar ailments, or of "hamstring dominant" cycling?

No. But I've heard of Baker's cyst, which may be what she has.
Old April 7th 17, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
A friend in a distant city recently phoned me about her knee problem.
She described a lump behind her knee, and said that massaging it, etc.
generates a sort of "twanging" feel, as if a tendon is being plucked.
An electrical sensation then travels down into her foot. (I think I'm
remembering that correctly.)

She saw a physical therapist today, who suggested that she may be
bicycling in a "hamstring dominant" mode. Supposedly she's going to
be set up with a bike fit expert. But I've seen her ride and don't
recall noticing anything unusual about bike fit or pedaling.

However, I don't consider myself a bike fit expert. So: Has anyone
here heard of similar ailments, or of "hamstring dominant" cycling?

No. But I've heard of Baker's cyst, which may be what she has.

I was going to say the same thing. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20023332 You would think a trained PT would pick that up immediately, so the differential DX of Baker's cyst has probably been considered and rejected -- one hopes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 7th 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

A friend in a distant city recently phoned me about her knee problem.
She described a lump behind her knee, and said that massaging it, etc.
generates a sort of "twanging" feel, as if a tendon is being plucked.
An electrical sensation then travels down into her foot. (I think I'm
remembering that correctly.)

She saw a physical therapist today, who suggested that she may be
bicycling in a "hamstring dominant" mode. Supposedly she's going to be
set up with a bike fit expert. But I've seen her ride and don't recall
noticing anything unusual about bike fit or pedaling.

However, I don't consider myself a bike fit expert. So: Has anyone here
heard of similar ailments, or of "hamstring dominant" cycling?

It seems to be fairly well known in running circles and it seems that
the solution is specific exercises to strengthen the hamstrings.
See:
https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/117829
https://www.physicaltherapist.com/ar...juries-part-i/
https://www.freelapusa.com/hamstring...you-beat-them/
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 7th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

[...]

I read them. Conclusion: Put the hams on high, hold the mayo.

Old April 9th 17, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

You are not orthodox, I assume :-)

How did UK become so dominant on track? icogs UK 24 April 1st 08 08:56 AM
quad/hamstring balance km General 10 October 23rd 06 07:00 PM
How to find your dominant foot Sgaterboy Unicycling 32 August 2nd 06 09:44 PM
Dominant foot questions samuel Unicycling 7 December 16th 03 02:39 AM
Hamstring Michael General 1 August 30th 03 11:54 PM