Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Old December 6th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

Default Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Winter has settled in here in the Pacific Northwest. The
fair-weatherers have put their cycles away until sunnier days and only
the hardy and determined are out commuting on their cycles. And then
there's me, the lone nut on my route on a unicycle. I do hear about
another one or two in town, and of course my riding partner does his
commute too.

Anyways, one cyclist summed up the general response I get lately as I
continue out on the cycle thoroughfares:

"Rock on!"

--
boisei
Old December 7th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

boisei;1144441 wrote:
Winter has settled in here in the Pacific Northwest. The
fair-weatherers have put their cycles away until sunnier days and only
the hardy and determined are out commuting on their cycles. And then
there's me, the lone nut on my route on a unicycle. I do hear about
another one or two in town, and of course my riding partner does his
commute too.

Anyways, one cyclist summed up the general response I get lately as I
continue out on the cycle thoroughfares:

"Rock on!"

I'm still commuting daily too! not quite as far as you but still. That
is the general response. I got some angry looks as I passed some bike
commuters and beat them off the lights on my way to school a day or so
ago though haha

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*

Old December 7th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

boisei;1145111 wrote:
Rock on!

2 days ago after work I was heading home and had my 36'er and someone
asked me if I knew "this crazy guy I see everyday while heading to work
who has a purple unicycle like yours." I told him I did and he said
"That's freaking awesome." I said thanks and that I needed to get home
and that it was nice talking to him then I pulled out ahead of him going
up a hill near my house.

Old December 7th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

I recently got my night riding setup and have been hitting our trails at
night. I'm using dual 7 watt LED helmet mounted flashlights that put my
friend's Nightrider Enduro HID to absolute shame. The beam throw and
brightness is somewhere in the overkill/obscene range.

As I was finishing a climb I heard a voice just ahead and around the
corner say rather incredulously "There's a truck coming up the trail!"
A moment later They come into view and realize that it's not a truck.
As I pass them by they are finally able to see past the beams and say
"HOLY CRAP!"

I love the look on the faces of people that can't believe that they
just saw a guy on a MUni riding a dirt trail in the middle of the night.

--
Trapper
Old December 7th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buretto

Trapper;1145246 wrote:
I recently got my night riding setup and have been hitting our trails at
night. I'm using dual 7 watt LED helmet mounted flashlights that put my
friend's Nightrider Enduro HID to absolute shame. The beam throw and
brightness is somewhere in the overkill/obscene range.

As I was finishing a climb I heard a voice just ahead and around the
corner say rather incredulously "There's a truck coming up the trail!"
A moment later They come into view and realize that it's not a truck.
As I pass them by they are finally able to see past the beams and say
"HOLY CRAP!"

I love the look on the faces of people that can't believe that they
just saw a guy on a MUni riding a dirt trail in the middle of the night.

Ha ha! Awesome.

Today I was out riding some trails around here. At one point around
10am, many miles from the trailhead, a mtn biker comes around the corner
while I'm fixing some wobbly pedals and ask, "You riding that thing?"

While at that particular moment he was correct (I was sitting on a tree
stump, I just said something like, "Yup. Been out since 7," to which he
simply stated, "Nice!"

I love the "You ride that thing? " questions. No, actually I just like
to get geared up and hike through the woods with a unicycle.

Oh well. The mtn bikers are always the most enjoyable people to talk to
on the trails, as they're usually the only ones who "get it."

--
Buretto
Old December 7th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerceri

Ha ha yh most mountain bikes understand why I love ripping up the trails
but then I meet a dogwalker or something and they don't have the
faintest clue why I would see it as an enjoyable sport! I usually have
to ride with mountain bikers as there is a lack of unicyclists

--
unicyclerceri
Old December 8th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

unicyclerceri;1145267 wrote:
Ha ha yh most mountain bikes understand why I love ripping up the trails
but then I meet a dogwalker or something and they don't have the
faintest clue why I would see it as an enjoyable sport! I usually have
to ride with mountain bikers as there is a lack of unicyclists

Unfortunately this is common all over. I have moved to London a few
months ago and have not as yet met anybody that unicycles. I haven't
been out looking as such, but you would have thought that in a city that
has such a large population I would have come across a couple by now.

--
UnicycleJuggler

--Experienced--In--Pain*
'UnIcYcLe *D O
T* CoM *D O T*
Uk' (http://unicycle.uk.com/Shop/)
Old December 8th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

UnicycleJuggler;1145899 wrote:
Unfortunately this is common all over. I have moved to London a few
months ago and have not as yet met anybody that unicycles. I haven't
been out looking as such, but you would have thought that in a city that
has such a large population I would have come across a couple by now.

Hey UnicycleJuggler,

If you want more unicyclist, then you have to spend time corrupting
impressionable youths.

--
scott ttocs
Old December 8th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Axi

I usually have to ride with mountain bikers as there is a lack of
unicyclists

In 99% of places there is no others. I have found two people who can
ride a uni. They are cirkus riders and I can see them with good luck at
summers when is good weather. Now there is vinter and even if it would
be summer, there is no way I gan get them to MUNI trail.

--
Axi