Chilly Hilly - Great ride and great weather

Old March 1st 04, 12:27 AM
cheg

Default Chilly Hilly - Great ride and great weather

Perfect day for the Chilly Hilly ride today (
http://www.cascade.org/EandR/CH.cfm ), high 40's - low 50's and
sunshine. Not a drop of rain all day. Sometimes you get lucky. My 30
year old Raleigh International performed flawlessly as well.

Old March 1st 04, 01:30 AM
Claire Petersky

"cheg" wrote in message
Perfect day for the Chilly Hilly ride today
(http://www.cascade.org/EandR/CH.cfm ), high 40's - low 50's and
sunshine. Not a drop of rain all day. Sometimes you get lucky. My 30
year old Raleigh International performed flawlessly as well.

I did Chilly Hilly too -- 2 hours, 32 minutes, which wasn't anything to
complain about. And you're right -- great weather. I'll add, no wind to
speak of, which helped make for a great day.

This was the first year where I didn't have to worry about child care, so I
could take the first, bike-only ferry. What a trip! Hundreds and hundreds of
bikes on the lower deck; hundreds and hundreds of bicyclists on the upper
deck. And everyone just ignored the "no cleats" rule.

I was thinking today about the 1990 Chilly Hilly. I had just moved back to
the Seattle area after years of living in other places. I had signed up to
do the Chilly Hilly that year with my dad. As it turned out, I got a new job
after I signed up, and my new work place wanted to send me to Washington DC
to attend a conference and lobby our state's delegation. I was caught up
with the whole glamour of the thing, and gave my Chilly Hilly registration
to my husband. He ended up doing that ride with my dad.

That was the last formal bike event my dad ever rode in. I was thinking
today that I will never have the experience of riding in something like that
with my dad, and it makes me feel very sad.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:
Email me the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

Old March 1st 04, 03:03 AM
cheg

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
"cheg" wrote in message
Perfect day for the Chilly Hilly ride today
(http://www.cascade.org/EandR/CH.cfm ), high 40's - low 50's and
sunshine. Not a drop of rain all day. Sometimes you get lucky. My

30
year old Raleigh International performed flawlessly as well.

I did Chilly Hilly too -- 2 hours, 32 minutes, which wasn't

anything to
complain about. And you're right -- great weather. I'll add, no

wind to
speak of, which helped make for a great day.

This was the first year where I didn't have to worry about child

care, so I
could take the first, bike-only ferry. What a trip! Hundreds and

hundreds of
bikes on the lower deck; hundreds and hundreds of bicyclists on the

upper
deck. And everyone just ignored the "no cleats" rule.

I was on the same boat. It was great to see such a huge variety of
bikes and cyclists in one place. From children on trailer-tandems to
"Serious Racers"(TM) on aramid miracle bikes to elders on Bike Friday
folders. The highest bib number I saw was over 3000.

I'm not sure what my elapsed time was but I averaged 15.2 mph while
riding over the distance and got to the chilli line 11'ish. This was
the first organized ride I ever did and it was a blast. Now maybe the
STP...

[...]

It's sad that you weren't there with your dad that day, but when you
ride the route you can think of him enjoying the day with your
husband. They say that no one ever died wishing they had spent more
time at work, but you can't do everything, only the best you can.

Old March 1st 04, 05:23 AM
Claire Petersky

"cheg" wrote in message

Cheg, your email's munged, so I'm replying publicly:

This was
the first organized ride I ever did and it was a blast. Now maybe the
STP...

You know how crowded it was when we first got off the ferry? That's the way
it is for like the first 50 miles of the STP, especially if you leave at the
peak of the morning, at 6:00 - 6:30. Then it thins out a bit after
Spanaway.

I'm not sure if I'm doing STP this year -- we've already got our hotel
reservations for RSVP. STP is a blast, though -- you should do it. Man, if
you had a Chilly Hilly average of 15.2 mph (I had 13.8), you could do a two
day STP no sweat, and a one day is easily in reach.

Old March 1st 04, 04:53 PM
Claire Petersky

Great photos and article:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/ for photo and text on front page
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2001868076.jpg for photo only
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...llyhilly01m.ht
ml for extended article.

Cheg, are you in any of the pictures? My kids kept on insisting that I was
one of the ones walking a bike up NE Baker Hill, just to give me a hard
time.

Old March 1st 04, 08:02 PM
cheg

Great photos and article:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/ for photo and text on

front page
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2001868076.jpg for photo

only

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...llyhilly01m.ht
ml for extended article.

Cheg, are you in any of the pictures? My kids kept on insisting

that I was
one of the ones walking a bike up NE Baker Hill, just to give me a

hard
time.

No I'm not in the pictures. For most of the ride I was wearing a
bright red Manchester United soccer jersey and black arm warmers.
Decent article, though.