Gas will be $4.00 a gallon by Monday 9-05…

Old September 3rd 05, 09:05 PM
ReptilesBlade

Default Gas will be $4.00 a gallon by Monday 9-05…

This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
Missouri.

By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
be $5.00 a gallon.

I just wanted to put the word out as best I could to help as many people as I
could avoid getting taken by surprise.

Thank you and buy a bike. I recommend Trek personally.

--
---
END OF LINE.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 3rd 05, 09:41 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
Missouri.

By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide)
will
be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it
will
be $5.00 a gallon.

While that's a believable scenario, it's not very likely. Gas at $5/gallon
would cause people to seriously change their driving habits, such that
demand might not only decrease short-term, but perhaps a certain number of
people would actually make long-term lifestyle changes such that even with
less-expensive gas down the road, they still might not use their cars nearly
as much as before.

The oil companies are in it for the long run, and are most-likely smart
enough to avoid that situation if possible. Yes, they'll want to make
money... lots of it... but they don't want to kill the goose that laid the
golden egg (consumer demand for driving).

Now watch me eat my words two weeks from now...

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 3rd 05, 09:53 PM
Ted Bennett

A shy person wrote:

This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
Missouri.

By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
be $5.00 a gallon.

I just wanted to put the word out as best I could to help as many people as I
could avoid getting taken by surprise.

Thank you and buy a bike. I recommend Trek personally.

Why? Do Treks get better gas mileage?

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 3rd 05, 10:15 PM
ReptilesBlade

Ted Bennett wrote in
:

A shy person wrote:

This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my
local Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St.
Louis Missouri.

By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide)
will be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after
that it will be $5.00 a gallon.

I just wanted to put the word out as best I could to help as many
people as I could avoid getting taken by surprise.

Thank you and buy a bike. I recommend Trek personally.

Why? Do Treks get better gas mileage?

No I just have a Trek and I like it. You can buy any bike you want too, it
does not really matter just as long as you ride it.

--
---
END OF LINE.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:41:33 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

While that's a believable scenario, it's not very likely. Gas at $5/gallon
would cause people to seriously change their driving habits, such that
demand might not only decrease short-term, but perhaps a certain number of
people would actually make long-term lifestyle changes such that even with
less-expensive gas down the road, they still might not use their cars nearly
as much as before.

The oil companies are in it for the long run, and are most-likely smart
enough to avoid that situation if possible. Yes, they'll want to make
money... lots of it... but they don't want to kill the goose that laid the
golden egg (consumer demand for driving).

Kill the goose that laid the golden egg? Crude prices are simple supply
and demand, and pump prices are simply crude prices plus costs plus a
fairly small margin. If crude goes up, the oil companies don't have much
choice but to raise pump prices even further, unless you imply that they
should take it as a loss leader -- but even big oil can't do that for very
long.

Jasper
Old September 4th 05, 12:49 AM
Llatikcuf

ReptilesBlade wrote:
This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
Missouri.

By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
be $5.00 a gallon.

I just wanted to put the word out as best I could to help as many people as I
could avoid getting taken by surprise.

Thank you and buy a bike. I recommend Trek personally.

Good! It's what needs to happen. Expensive oil is the only way we are
going to move towards different energy sources and more efficient cars.
Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!

-N

--

Llatikcuf-at-gmail-dot-com

Eat the meek!
Old September 4th 05, 02:06 AM
Sock Puppet

On 3-Sep-2005, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Sit in your own car. Now slide the seat forward until your shins are
pressed
against the dashboard hard enough to be a little sore right away and raise
the
seat until your head is leaving a grease spot in the headliner.

That's precisely my situation sitting in my wife's Chevy Lumina with the
seat
all the way down and back.

buy a chevy aveo, remove the front seat, and drive from the back seat!

--
Sock Puppet
Old September 4th 05, 04:18 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Llatikcuf:
Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!

Actually, more like 4 tons/14 mpg.

But some people do need such things - some for load carrying capacity... but
some large people just for egnomics/safety.

Sit in your own car. Now slide the seat forward until your shins are pressed
against the dashboard hard enough to be a little sore right away and raise the
seat until your head is leaving a grease spot in the headliner.

That's precisely my situation sitting in my wife's Chevy Lumina with the seat
all the way down and back.

Now, bearing in mind that your body will still slam about eight inches forward
against the seat belts and six inches upward in a minor collision, tell me how
safe you feel.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 4th 05, 04:44 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:

[...]

OPEC (the only oil companies/producers that matter) would increase
production to cut prices, but the problem is that refineries here in the US
are bonked and fears run rampant.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old September 4th 05, 04:50 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Llatikcuf:
Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!

Actually, more like 4 tons/14 mpg.

But some people do need such things - some for load carrying
capacity... but some large people just for egnomics/safety.

Sit in your own car. Now slide the seat forward until your shins
are pressed against the dashboard hard enough to be a little sore
right away and raise the seat until your head is leaving a grease
spot in the headliner.

That's precisely my situation sitting in my wife's Chevy Lumina with
the seat all the way down and back.

Now, bearing in mind that your body will still slam about eight
inches forward against the seat belts and six inches upward in a
minor collision, tell me how safe you feel.

But Pete, you are 6'5". I'm a full foot shorter than you, and IIRC, the
national average is 5'8." I doubt most of us would have a problem. I'm
pretty sure the OP meant "most don't" instead of "nobody."

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training