Melb: BR (Kinglake Version) - 0630h start!!!

Old December 29th 07, 10:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

Default Melb: BR (Kinglake Version) - 0630h start!!!

I plan on doing an early BR tomorrow morning to beat the heat (forecast is
for 30 deg max). I will be leaving from the corner of the Doncaster
Westfields as per usual but will do so at 0630h rather than 0730h.

I will be riding the usual BR route via the Kangaroo Ground and Clinton's Rd
climbs and I will stop at Smiths Gully for coffee and a muffin as per usual.
I then plan on turning right at the intersection at St Andrews and doing
Kinglake before coming back down the same way and completing the usual BR
route via Diamond Creek and Greensborough.

If anyone is keen to join me then I will see you at about 0620h or so at
Doncaster Westfield.

I also have plans to drive out to Warbuton later in the week and ride Mt
Donna Buang......at this stage it is probably shaping up to be Wednesday as
it is the only day all week that is forecast for less than 30 deg (25 deg
and showers on tonights weather bulletin). I have got a couple of mates
loosely lined up for this but obviously the more the merrier so anyone else
is welcome to come along.

Gags

Old December 29th 07, 11:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

Gags wrote:
I plan on doing an early BR tomorrow morning to beat the heat (forecast is
for 30 deg max). I will be leaving from the corner of the Doncaster
Westfields as per usual but will do so at 0630h rather than 0730h.

I will be riding the usual BR route via the Kangaroo Ground and Clinton's Rd
climbs and I will stop at Smiths Gully for coffee and a muffin as per usual.
I then plan on turning right at the intersection at St Andrews and doing
Kinglake before coming back down the same way and completing the usual BR
route via Diamond Creek and Greensborough.

Not this week, I'm still recovering from a 2 1/2 hr ride/run/ride
training session this morning (still don't think I'm rehydrated yet).
But if you are thinking of doing this one again anytime after 13/1
(Sandingham tri) I'd be up for it (well maybe not Clintons Rd).

DaveB
Old December 29th 07, 12:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
essendon93[_28_]

Alarm going off at 4.40...hmmm I think I might pass Doing the 1:20
instead. Donna maybe a possibility, although wed I'm going to Willy to
watch the crits.

--
essendon93

Old December 30th 07, 12:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

Default BR (Kinglake Version) - Ride Report

It was only me this morning and I left Doncaster at 0630h. Went out on
normal BR route except instead of Clinton's Rd I decided to go up the "goat
track" (Alma Rd??) that we did a few times before discovering Clinton's Rd.
Got to Smiths Gully at 0745h or so and the shop was shut.....couldn't be
arsed waiting 15min for it to open so I continued onto Kinglake. I did the
climb from the big signpost at the bottom to the 60 sign at the top in 22.5
minutes - I spent most of the climb on around 18km/h or so on the 39/23 gear
and taking it fairly easy except for the section past the quarry. As per
every other time I have done Kinglake the mist started closing in about 1km
or so from the end and by the time I got there visibility was down to about
150m or so and it was a fair bit cooler. Had a coffee at Kinglake then went
back down through St Andrews and back up to Smiths Gully for another coffee
and one of the blueberry muffins (the first part of that hill is a bitch
going the other way!!!). I then went back through Eltham and via Main Rd to
the big three-way roundabout. The hill up Main Rd from there was a killer
as I was starting to cramp but I made it to the top then took a left and cut
through to Banyule Rd and up through the horse paddocks. When I got to the
end of my street my trip meter was on 98km so I rode a km down the road and
then came back so that it ticked over 100km just as I got back to my street.

Overall stats were 100.3km at an average speed of 26.5km/h and a total ride
time of just under 4 hours. I saw quite a few other riders out and about
(particularly on the Kinglake climb) and all in all it was a pretty good
morning for a ride. I am now looking forward to Donna Buang on Wednesday.

Gags

Whittlesea to Kinglake or vice versa DaveB[_2_] Australia 5 October 31st 07 11:34 PM
BR 80b - Kinglake - Anyone? gplama Australia 20 January 2nd 06 12:21 PM
Kinglake Jono L Australia 6 November 1st 05 04:55 AM
who wants a PAL version of OWA in the US? tomsey Unicycling 16 January 18th 05 01:27 AM
st andrews / kinglake riding jay Australia 6 January 26th 04 11:58 AM