Bike ban in Victoria

Old December 20th 07, 12:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Default Bike ban in Victoria

thefathippy wrote:

So, I stand the entire trip, politely shifting my bike to assist other
passengers, and they expect me to pay extra? They don't charge extra
for a pram. They don't charge extra for huge travel bags. They don't
charge extra for other luggage. Why bikes? I guess I wouldn't mind
paying if they actually provided a service that allowed for bikes, but
they don't. A ticket should entitle me to that.

Cityrail here in sydney has a little loophole, normally they allow bikes
allround, but during peak hour, you need to purchase a child ticket for your
bike as well.

Unless it's in a bike bag, in which case it's luggage, so they don't charge
you anything. I suppose this is only viable if you have a fold-up bike though.
Just goes to show, they appear to hate cyclists more than the morons who are
happy to cart around their 40Kg luggage from the airport.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old December 20th 07, 01:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Dec 20, 8:20 am, cfsmtb cfsmtb.31v...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
"Bikes should be part of the solution to our public transport
problems," president Daniel Bowen said.

Daniel Bowen eh? I used to read his "Toxic Custard Workshop Files" (or
whatever it was called) emails when I was in university, waaay back
before the days of the world wide wibble. His world history series was
very entertaining, it's worth a read if you can find it.

Graeme
Old December 20th 07, 01:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
tim

On Dec 20, 11:29 am, John Tserkezis
wrote:

Unless it's in a bike bag, in which case it's luggage, so they don't charge
you anything.

I wonder how much of your bike you need to have enclosed in a token
"bag" in order for it to class as luggage?

"It's not a bike, it's a suitcase with wheels! I use it to carry...
bike parts!"

tim
Old December 20th 07, 01:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

wrote:

Unless it's in a bike bag, in which case it's luggage, so they don't charge
you anything.

I wonder how much of your bike you need to have enclosed in a token
"bag" in order for it to class as luggage?

They specifically say it applies to folding bicycles. I have heard
from various people, none of whom work for Cityrail, that even a
folder in a bag on your lap has to be paid for.

Zebee

Old December 20th 07, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Tomasso Wrote:
Ta. Time to get busy.

Any bike friendly journos in Victoria? [No, I didn't think so...
...well, maybe].

Already a Facebook group - Screw Connex and their ban on bike's. Plenty
of discussion elsewhere on the BV forums, CM-Melb and Melbourne Cyclist.

There's rumours/noises that BV didn't oppose the ban, this is yet to be
confirmed or denied. I asked a PTUA contact yesterday about this issue,
they've confirmed what was said to me in todays Herald-Sun (20/12) -
they oppose the ban. Read page 8.

Interesting, a PT lobby group oppose the ban, but Victoria largest
bicycle group didn't (at this point)

Is Dutchy still resident at BV?

Old December 20th 07, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

tim wrote:

I wonder how much of your bike you need to have enclosed in a token
"bag" in order for it to class as luggage?

As long as the people who work there can't tell the difference, (and while
some have a brain, lots don't).

"It's not a bike, it's a suitcase with wheels! I use it to carry...
bike parts!"

:-) It's all in the definition of the classification.

rant
Interesting part, is that they don't appear to be too concerned about
scooters, nor the ones who carry home new TV antennas in their boxes. These
things are so long you need to fit them in diagonally through the doors to
make it fit.
All "luggage", even though a bike takes up less room.

Also no mention of the sneezing ones who spread their good charm around in
crowed trains.
Neither of the one that I had seen tear off the "no alcohol" sticker, then
proceed to pull out a beer and drink it.
Nor the one who insisted on conversing with the person next to him- VERY
LOUDLY. And thought that f*ucking football would be a good subject instead of
the weather. Interesting that person next to him wasn't interested either.
Of course, I can't forget the high school formalers coming home (while I was
going to work in the morning), who had the collective IQ of a box of
handlebars. I had to change carriages to prevent my own IQ from dropping.
/rant
Old December 20th 07, 03:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

They specifically say it applies to folding bicycles. I have heard
from various people, none of whom work for Cityrail, that even a
folder in a bag on your lap has to be paid for.

So all those times (years?) I was going to work with a backpack (sometimes
two bags) I was technically travelling short of a ticket for my bag(s).

F*ck 'em. If they can't be reasonable, neither can I.
Old December 20th 07, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_539_]

Graeme Dods Wrote:

Daniel Bowen eh? I used to read his "Toxic Custard Workshop Files" (or
whatever it was called) emails when I was in university, waaay back
before the days of the world wide wibble. His world history series was
very entertaining, it's worth a read if you can find it.

Same chap. had a blog when the term haven't even been coined.

--
cfsmtb

Old December 20th 07, 05:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch[_84_]

cfsmtb Wrote:

There's rumours/noises that BV didn't oppose the ban

Bollox. Ain't fourth hand info grand?
So unusual for the PTUA to swallow V-Line's, err, line

We knew nothing of the V-Line ban.

There had been discussions that bikes may be banned in Zone 1, peak
direction during peak-hour on metro trains, Although timings were not
given for this introduction it was a mute point as trying to get oneself
and a cut lunch on said trains is near impossible, let alone with
bike/pram/shrubbery/etc

Holland, Germany and many other Euro countries have had similar rules
in place for a few years (some many years...) and provide good parking
at stations.
Longer term that is a more practical solution. refer Eltham and Sth
Geelong Bike parking cage trials on BV website.
http://www.bv.com.au/change-the-world/12251/

--
flyingdutch

Old December 20th 07, 05:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_543_]

flyingdutch Wrote:
Bollox. Ain't fourth hand info grand?
So unusual for the PTUA to swallow V-Line's, err, line

We knew nothing of the V-Line ban.

Well if that's been cleared up, please inform the BV forum first:
http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7616

--
cfsmtb