New recent bicycle Signs on 1:20

Old December 28th 07, 12:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Default New recent bicycle Signs on 1:20

Ok now I hate to say I told you so but what I believed would happen has
happened to me twice in a few weeks!

Earlier this year, they put a sign warning of "Bikes next 4K" at the bottom
and top of the 1:20. (Mountain Hwy from The Basin to Sassafras on Mt
Dandenong Melbourne for those who don't know). At the time I thought strange
as the stretch of road is 7K long but at least its an advisory sign for
motorists to be aware of us peddlers on arguably Melbourne's most popular
climb for cyclists.

But recently, they've also added a "Cyclists Single File" at the same
points. Now I can understand why but I feel it's having an unexpected
result. Only a couple of days ago while climbing, I was passing a slower
rider when a car coming in the opposite direction decided to stop and yelled
abuse and shouting "Can't you idiots read signs". He didn't realize I was
passing and hit the proverbial when he saw me only for a few seconds along
the slower rider. Other friends have also reported increase in retaliation
since the signs have been put in place there and in other parts of the
Dandenong without single file signs.

Speaking to an officer, they're advisory signs as they contradict the road
laws of riding two abreast but should be obeyed unless overtaking, or
conditions suggest otherwise. Now I'm one of the first to suggest single
file with riding mates under certain riding conditions but I believe these
signs just give real idiots reasons to take things into their own hand. I've
also had a local up there approach me while having a coffee saying "you see,
those signs prove cyclists were always breaking the law riding two abreast".

I believe that most motorists don't know that cyclists are legally allowed
to ride two abreast and if more of these signs are posted, it's only going
to lead to more confusion. Wouldn't have made more sense to have it read
"Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it sub-consciously has
motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding two
abreast once again.

Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV ads )
is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two abreast ,
minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for BV to act on
as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of cyclists
rights as a road user.

Geez, I needed to get that off my chest!

JoeDe

Old December 28th 07, 02:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Sir Lex

JoeDe wrote:
snip
I believe that most motorists don't know that cyclists are legally allowed
to ride two abreast and if more of these signs are posted, it's only going
to lead to more confusion. Wouldn't have made more sense to have it read
"Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it sub-consciously has
motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding two
abreast once again.

Or "Cyclist's Single File Unless Overtaking, next X km", with an "End
Cyclists Single File" sign at the end of the area.

Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV ads )
is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two abreast ,
minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for BV to act on
as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of cyclists
rights as a road user.

Not going to happen unfortunately. That would require money to come out
of "anti speeding" advertising, in place to protect the half billion $$
per year speed camera industry.

Geez, I needed to get that off my chest!

JoeDe

Best solution: Motorists caught verbally abusing, or being verbally
unpleasant to any other road user = licence suspension. Should scare
some idiots into calming the **** down over what are non-issues in the
first place.
Old December 29th 07, 09:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jono L[_42_]

JoeDe Wrote:
[...]

Yeh they kinda play into the hands of pent up motorists with an axe to
grind...everybody just needs to relaaaax a little bit.

--
Jono L

Old December 30th 07, 10:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Yates

"Jono L" wrote in message

JoeDe Wrote:
[...]

Yup, same thing happened to me and a mate a few weeks back. Had a couple of
yobbo drivers get abusive when we did not ride single file. Honking and so
forth. They seemed to calm down when I yelled their number plate out along
with 'noted'.

Old January 4th 08, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"JoeDe" wrote:

[...]

to lead to more confusion. bWouldn't have made more sense to have it read
"Cyclists Single File Next 4 (or 7)K "? At least then it sub-consciously
has motorists aware that after a certain distance cyclists may be riding
two abreast once again.

Better still, with the increase in cycling, advertising campagne ( TV
ads ) is needed to make motorists aware of cycling road rules like two
abreast , minimum of 1 meter passing a cyclist, etc. Maybe something for
BV to act on as I personally believe most issues are due to unawareness of
cyclists rights as a road user.

Sounds like someone needs to get up the 1 in 20 with a big spanner one
night. Illegal road rules deserve to be removed.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Bicycle Advisory Signs on the 1:20 JoeDe Australia 4 April 22nd 07 09:31 AM
a few recent pics JD Mountain Biking 7 August 17th 06 03:37 PM
Recent Puzzles Mikefule Unicycling 12 June 2nd 06 10:33 PM
Some recent photos MattB Mountain Biking 2 June 1st 05 12:52 AM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM