Feedback on PDW Gravity Plus USB Tail Light with Autobrake

Old March 17th 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Feedback on PDW Gravity Plus USB Tail Light with Autobrake

Anyone have one of these?

PDW Gravity Plus USB Tail Light with Autobrake

What do you think of it?

Thanks.
Old March 17th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-03-17 06:43, Andy wrote:
Anyone have one of these?

PDW Gravity Plus USB Tail Light with Autobrake

What do you think of it?

Thanks.

That design is a great idea.

However, when it comes to workmanship I was not impressed with this
manufacturer. I bought a regular rear light from them and the light beam
was terribly skewed. The LED positioning was substantially off-center so
I wrote an email. The answer was that this is "normal". So I sent it
back. Saw a clone, bought it just for a test and ... perfectly LED
centering! Same for the next three I bought.

The holder was also too flimsy IMHO. Same for the clones I bought and I
added two serious bolts for metal plate mounting, threw away the clip thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 18th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On 2019-03-17 06:43, Andy wrote:
Anyone have one of these?

PDW Gravity Plus USB Tail Light with Autobrake

What do you think of it?

Thanks.

That design is a great idea.

However, when it comes to workmanship I was not impressed with this
manufacturer. I bought a regular rear light from them and the light beam
was terribly skewed. The LED positioning was substantially off-center so
I wrote an email. The answer was that this is "normal". So I sent it
back. Saw a clone, bought it just for a test and ... perfectly LED
centering! Same for the next three I bought.

The holder was also too flimsy IMHO. Same for the clones I bought and I
added two serious bolts for metal plate mounting, threw away the clip thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Thanks for the feedback.

Andy
Old March 18th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On 2019-03-17 06:43, Andy wrote:
Anyone have one of these?

[...]

I forgot to ask what you currently use for a rear light.

Andy
Old March 18th 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-03-17 06:43, Andy wrote:
Anyone have one of these?

[...]

The clones :-)

Also classic Spanninga rear lights modified to LED. This type:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

The old lights were the best because they have sturdy bolts to fasten
them to the bike instead of flimsy plastic clamps. They also have a
nicely screwed-on lens _with_ reflector instead of a clip-on lens that
flies off during rough rides, so no rubber band needed. The downside is
that they are now hard to find and one must modify them from those dim
0.6W incandescent bulbs to LED.

What I did on the road bike to affix the Spanninga light was to make a
metal holder which is fastened like an additional washer under the seat
post clamp. Works great. I am planning to mount two of those lights in
the back though because my rack now has an aluminum plate to hold such
stuff. That would give me three redundant lights, two illuminating
steady and one (the clone) flashing. All solidly bolted to that aluminum
plate. This plate currently also holds a large wide reflector, seen from
the side he

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Rearlight1.JPG

The battery-operated light below it will go and become replaced with the
better lights that are currently up on the seat post. That prevents
those from being blocked by cargo on the rack.

The rear light on the MTB is currently only a single one but bolted to a
similar plate with two M4 screws. It is also recessed to reduce the
chance of rock hits.

I am a strong believer in powerful bike lighting, also during the day
(but only while on roads, no DRL on bike paths). This is why an 8-cell
18650 Li-Ion pack rides along on the road bike. 4-cell on the MTB, in a
smash-proof ABS enclosure bolted to a home-made tail strut.