Poor ol Greg

Old June 28th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Poor ol Greg

I pasted this passage from a scan from page 154 of the book 'Kings of
Cycling' by Noel Truyers.

It shows how Greg has had to take flake from the Champs before him and now
the one
after him. At least Eddy didn't try and kill him.

quote:

Eddy Merckx has never been able to reconcile himself with that and once
spoke out strongly:
"LeMond is no real world champion. A world champion stands out the
whole year round; in the spring, in the tours, in the autumn. LeMond only
rides well in the Tour, and there is nothing difficult about that."

LeMond reacts fiercely to that: "Pure jealousy. It's because my bikes sell
well in the States.
Merckx should mind his own business. I used to really admire him. He once
came to my house;
we were almost friends. I don't understand why he says something like that,
then. I'll tell you this:
Merckx would never win nowadays, the way he used to. In his day, he was the
only rider to make
the most of professional supervision, while today everyone does."

end quote
Oh, and another thing:
I have reason to suspect someone high up at Trek was always bitter that Gary
Helfrich
got to hand pick six of Trek's best welders for the Lemond Cycles titanium
bike project.

I'm trying to get in touch with former Team Saturn mechanic Ian Sherburne as
feel he may know some inside info on that as the Trek/Lemond funny business
took place in 2002 at the Waterloo Wisconsin.

I have a suspicion that was what killed Arctos Machine. As Helfrich closed
the
accounts, sold stock and machinery so quickly. Something really strange
about that.

What's really scary is that John Burke of Trek has been known to associate
with
Steven Bornstein, chairman of The Walt Disney Company's Buena Vista Internet
Group!

Seems like some power players really want Greg out of the scene.

As cyclists, please, let's not turn on Greg.

Old June 28th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article 8kmog.100422$iF6.64603@pd7tw2no,
"Jack Maars" wrote:

As cyclists, please, let's not turn on Greg.

Would not dream of it. I tweak him because he is a
crybaby. Complaining in public because Armstrong said
nasty things to him? Greg is a man; he can stand up for
himself. Yes?

--
Michael Press
Old June 28th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Jack Maars" wrote:

As cyclists, please, let's not turn on Greg.

Would not dream of it. I tweak him because he is a
crybaby. Complaining in public because Armstrong said
nasty things to him? Greg is a man; he can stand up for
himself. Yes?

I'm pretty sure that blood problem that ended his career prematurely
makes it impossible for him to stand up for himself, at least for long
periods.
Old June 28th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:

As cyclists, please, let's not turn on Greg.

Dumbass -

The winner of the virtual fourth TdF sucks balls. How delusional is
that? Virtual win. Makes me want to throw up.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
former Lemond fan

Old June 28th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Jack Maars" wrote in

"LeMond is no real world champion. A world champion stands out the
whole year round; in the spring, in the tours, in the autumn. LeMond
only rides well in the Tour, and there is nothing difficult about
that."

This can be said of other former world champions, too.
Old June 28th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:
I pasted this passage from a scan from page 154 of the book 'Kings of
Cycling' by Noel Truyers.

snipped

quote:

Eddy Merckx sniponce spoke out strongly:

"LeMond only rides well in the Tour, and there is nothing difficult about that."

Kinda makes one wonder what Eddy (really) thinks about The Lance.

Old June 28th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

He did ride a lot more different types of races back when he was world
champion.
Armstrong, that is.

-ilan

Old June 28th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
"Jack Maars" wrote in

"LeMond is no real world champion. A world champion stands out the
whole year round; in the spring, in the tours, in the autumn. LeMond
only rides well in the Tour, and there is nothing difficult about
that."

This can be said of other former world champions, too.

Lest we forget, Lemond won the Pernod Trophy, which was a precursor of
sorts to the World Cup, which was a precursor to the Pro Tour. In his
day he rode quite a few of the monuments as well as other stage races.
Don't recall seeing Lance at Roubaix, covered in mud, after supporting
a teammate.

Old June 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Scott" wrote ...

Lest we forget, Lemond won the Pernod Trophy, which was a precursor of
sorts to the World Cup, which was a precursor to the Pro Tour. In his
day he rode quite a few of the monuments as well as other stage races.
Don't recall seeing Lance at Roubaix, covered in mud, after supporting
a teammate.

Lance may not have ridden P-R, but he's supported his share of teammates in
the spring classics.

--
Snippy

Old June 28th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Disney fired Bornstein years ago. I'm even reading a book about them
and I just covered that topic today.

And please don't use the failed Disney internet group to define his
tenure. Bornstein essentially "built" ESPN long before the Cap Citites
acquisition. Once Disney bought them, he was handed a **** sandwich in
the biggest way.