Taking Advantage Of Local Bicycle Commuter Situations

Old September 5th 08, 07:42 PM posted to sci.energy,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment,alt.philosophy

Default Taking Advantage Of Local Bicycle Commuter Situations

I once cycled to a job which was 2 miles away and 100 feet or so below
where I lived.

The reverse situation is perfect for cycle commuting: On cold winter
mornings you keep warm pedaling uphill and on hot summer afternoons
you keep cool coasting downhill.

Another situation combines use of a transit bus with cycling with the
wind. If you live downwind of your job take the bus upwind and then
cycle back with the wind. You aren't all sweaty and smelly when you
get to work and it also keeps your food bill / eating times down.

There must be others but I don't discover them until I'm there.

Bret Cahill

Old September 5th 08, 08:15 PM posted to sci.energy,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment,alt.philosophy

On Sep 5, 11:42*am, wrote:
I once cycled to a job which was 2 miles away and 100 feet or so below
where I lived.

You're lying. You've never had a job.

The reverse situation is perfect for cycle commuting: *On cold winter
mornings you keep warm pedaling uphill and on hot summer afternoons
you keep cool coasting downhill.

Actually, the best solution for your prostate and
erectile health is not to bike at all. Just telecommute:
it's the choice of a new American generation. It tastes
great and it's greener than the greenest greenshirt.

Another situation combines use of a transit bus with cycling with the
wind. *If you live downwind of your job take the bus upwind and then
cycle back with the wind. *You aren't all sweaty and smelly when you
get to work and it also keeps your food bill / eating times down.

What do you do if there's a Canadian cannibal on the bus?

There must be others but I don't discover them until I'm there.

Who cares? We have 2 words for cyclists in these parts:
organ donors.
Old September 5th 08, 11:17 PM posted to sci.energy,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment,alt.philosophy

I once cycled to a job which was 2 miles away and 100 feet or so below
where I lived.

The reverse situation is perfect for cycle commuting: �On cold winter
mornings you keep warm pedaling uphill and on hot summer afternoons
you keep cool coasting downhill.

Another situation combines use of a transit bus with cycling with the
wind. �If you live downwind of your job take the bus upwind and then
cycle back with the wind. �You aren't all sweaty and smelly when you
get to work and it also keeps your food bill / eating times down.

There must be others but I don't discover them until I'm there.

The obvious one that comes to mind is a situation where one lives near an
off-road path (like an old RR right of way) that is a big shortcut across
town or through several towns... �especially when they are grade separated.
I've seen many of these in various towns and cities where that would give
you a time advantage especially during peak road traffic times -- the RR
paths are usually very straight whereas the roads can be pretty curvy and
have lots of signals and intersections.

No steep climbs either.

Pinellas County, FL made a nice linear park from an abandoned right of
way. It goes from Tarpon Springs to St. Pete near the coast and is
very busy.

Another one is up in Pasco or Hernando County, very low traffic.

Bret Cahill

Old September 5th 08, 11:44 PM posted to sci.energy,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment,alt.philosophy
jjs

I walk or ride bike 365 days of the Minnesota year.
When the snow is too treacherous to bike, I walk.

Simple.

Old September 6th 08, 12:03 AM posted to sci.energy,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment,alt.philosophy

I walk or ride bike 365 days of the Minnesota year.
When the snow is too treacherous to bike, I walk.

I cycle in the 117 F desert heat but I must admit, a Minnesota winter
is much more impressive.

Bret Cahill