Any Sense In Following the Tour de France Any More?

Old October 31st 12, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Any Sense In Following the Tour de France Any More?

What with the rampant doping and the so called winner of 7 tours getting stripped of those wins, I and some others are wondering if there is any sense in even bothering to follow the Tour de France any more. Now you won't ever know who actually wins a Tour de France since they can be stripped of that win retroactively a great many years later.

Will this Armstrong, UCI, WADA, USADA scandal spell the end of the Tour de France as we know/knew it? Will teams even be able to get sponser any more? Will riders still want to ride The Tour knowing that they can lose to a clever doping scheme and be deprived of their proper place finish?

If not The Tour what Grand Tour if any are worth watching now?

Cheers
Old October 31st 12, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MyPostingID

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:07:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
What with the rampant doping and the so called winner of 7 tours getting stripped of those wins, I and some others are wondering if there is any sense in even bothering to follow the Tour de France any more. Now you won't ever know who actually wins a Tour de France since they can be stripped of that win retroactively a great many years later.

Will this Armstrong, UCI, WADA, USADA scandal spell the end of the Tour de France as we know/knew it? Will teams even be able to get sponser any more? Will riders still want to ride The Tour knowing that they can lose to a clever doping scheme and be deprived of their proper place finish?

If not The Tour what Grand Tour if any are worth watching now?

Cheers

re you saying the Tour de France was the only bike race you were interested in?

Old October 31st 12, 12:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:55:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

What is needed is a 'doping bicycle league' where the riders openly follow medically supervised protocols to optimize human performance by any available means, limited only to what non-cycling persons could legally obtain. This would include EPO, certain steroids and human growth hormones. Why not? We would see some truly stunning performances.
Old October 31st 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_7_]

wrote:
[...]

We already have, you didn't think normal people can sprint up 20% gradients did you?
--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Old October 31st 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Revtom

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:07:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
What with the rampant doping and the so called winner of 7 tours getting stripped of those wins, I and some others are wondering if there is any sense in even bothering to follow the Tour de France any more. Now you won't ever know who actually wins a Tour de France since they can be stripped of that win retroactively a great many years later.

Will this Armstrong, UCI, WADA, USADA scandal spell the end of the Tour de France as we know/knew it? Will teams even be able to get sponser any more? Will riders still want to ride The Tour knowing that they can lose to a clever doping scheme and be deprived of their proper place finish?

If not The Tour what Grand Tour if any are worth watching now?

Cheers

Pfft. All the great races will be worth watching. Even hip-deep in dope, there are always bout 20 riders who have the potential to win. Un-doped, there will still be 20 or so racers who can win on a given day. The best way to watch a race is just pick someone and watch them. I always like to follow underdogs.
Old October 31st 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Fred Flintstein a écrit profondement:

| No, it's all OK. LANCE is gone now, they're all riding clean.

If I were to do some crystal ball gazing, I'd be willing to bet
that the pair of miscreants who really introduced the
supercharging programme to that bunch were Slava and Johan.

They both had extensive experience with it, Slava with Aleksandr
Kuznetsov at Lokomotiv and Johan with Manolo's "Special Orange
Juice".

But be that as it may, it just isn't a Tour without Manolo.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English
Old October 31st 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mower Man

On 31/10/2012 5:32 PM, Revtom wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:07:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
What with the rampant doping and the so called winner of 7 tours getting stripped of those wins, I and some others are wondering

if there is any sense in even bothering to follow the Tour de France any
more. Now you won't ever know who actually wins a
Tour de France since they can be stripped of that win retroactively a
great many years later.

Will this Armstrong, UCI, WADA, USADA scandal spell the end of the Tour de France as we know/knew it?

Will teams even be able to get sponsor any more? Will riders still want
to ride The Tour knowing that they can lose
to a clever doping scheme and be deprived of their proper place finish?

If not The Tour what Grand Tour if any are worth watching now?

Cheers

Pfft. All the great races will be worth watching. Even hip-deep in dope, there are always bout 20 riders who have the potential to win.

Un-doped, there will still be 20 or so racers who can win on a given
day. The best way to watch a race is just pick someone and watch them.
I always like to follow underdogs.

Vuelta a Espana was great this year - I supported Purito. But how did he
manage all those attacks on the climbs...? Massive.

--
Chris

'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.'

(Oscar Wilde.)
Old October 31st 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mower Man

wrote:
[...]

Sorry! Failed at revising word wrap. (Was over 79 characters per line,
etc..)
Will this be any better I wonder?