disc brake question

Old December 7th 03, 09:04 PM
N Grover

Default disc brake question

hello.
after using hayes for a number of years, it's time to try something else.
This time I want a hydraulic disc brake that doesn't make that little
"tinging" drag noise (ya know the one I'm talking about?). No matter how hard
I had tried the brakes exhibited some amount of rub under various
circumstances (ie pedaling while standing). If only I could just ignore it
everything would be cool but I can't. So my question is, what brake is
best in terms of setup and tolerance between the pad and rotor? For me I
think the problem is amplified by that silly Trek disc mount system (a
mount that bolts onto a mount == very flexy brake mount).

thanks
neil
Old December 7th 03, 09:35 PM
Super Slinky

N Grover said...

hello.
after using hayes for a number of years, it's time to try something else.
This time I want a hydraulic disc brake that doesn't make that little
"tinging" drag noise (ya know the one I'm talking about?). No matter how hard
I had tried the brakes exhibited some amount of rub under various
circumstances (ie pedaling while standing). If only I could just ignore it
everything would be cool but I can't. So my question is, what brake is
best in terms of setup and tolerance between the pad and rotor? For me I
think the problem is amplified by that silly Trek disc mount system (a
mount that bolts onto a mount == very flexy brake mount).

thanks
neil

I have heard that the Avid Juicy will be very adjustable, but other than
that don't know much about them, except that they are expensive.
Old December 7th 03, 09:54 PM
Stephen Baker

N Grover says:

after using hayes for a number of years, it's time to try something else.
This time I want a hydraulic disc brake that doesn't make that little
"tinging" drag noise (ya know the one I'm talking about?).

Maybe it's time to try rim brakes?

;-P

Steve "no tinging here..."
Old December 8th 03, 01:46 AM
Todd Brown

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
N Grover says:

after using hayes for a number of years, it's time to try something else.
This time I want a hydraulic disc brake that doesn't make that little
"tinging" drag noise (ya know the one I'm talking about?).

Maybe it's time to try rim brakes?

;-P

Steve "no tinging here..."

No real stopping power either :-)

Old December 8th 03, 01:54 AM
Stephen Baker

Todd Brown says:

No real stopping power either :-)

Well, I have to admit that I don't do DH, but I've never had a situation where
they failed to stop me (195 lbs + 30-lb bike), without skidding, when and
where I wanted to stop, or at least before I hit the something I was stopping
for.

Of course, I do look where I'm going...

Steve
Old December 8th 03, 02:22 AM
Super Slinky

Stephen Baker said...

Steve "no tinging here..."

My v-brakes don't ting, they yowl like what you hear from the brakes on
a train that coming to a stop. Really. That is actually the main reason
I hate rim brakes and won't go back from discs.
Old December 8th 03, 02:53 AM
N Grover

Well i knew that someone would tell me to get rim brakes. I'm wanting
these advantages that disc's have to offer (in my mind): 1) I like the
all-weather performance 2) I like the consitency of discs as opposed to
the vulnerabiliy that v-brakes have to a less than perfect braking surface
(ie warped rim). 3) I like the mud clearance of discs

What I'm still hoping for is a disc that will live up to the promise
"setup them up and leave them for a season".

Old December 8th 03, 05:29 AM
John Harlow

Hi N,

Sounds like the rotor might be slightly bent. This happens to me
occasionally; I live in an area with a lot of sticks which quite often get
tossed into my wheels - sometimes hitting and bending he rotor.

My solution is to spin the wheel, look in the caliper and see where it's
dragging. Usually a few presses by hand on the high side bends it right
back.

If it's not bent but still dragging on one side, what works for me is to
loosen the caliper mounts, apply the brake and retighten while holding the
brake lever. This tends to center it perfectly.

If it's *still* dragging, your calipers may not be retracting - I suggest
you then refer to the service documentation for your brakes.

Good luck.

Old December 8th 03, 05:40 AM
D H

"N Grover" wrote in message
news
Well i knew that someone would tell me to get rim brakes. I'm wanting
these advantages that disc's have to offer (in my mind): 1) I like the
all-weather performance 2) I like the consitency of discs as opposed to
the vulnerabiliy that v-brakes have to a less than perfect braking surface
(ie warped rim). 3) I like the mud clearance of discs

What I'm still hoping for is a disc that will live up to the promise
"setup them up and leave them for a season".

Well, you just described exactly what I have normally done with my 99
Hayes hydraulic setup. I finally have had to rebuild pistons on one caliper,
but that is a pretty simple job and fair enough to be needed after as many
miles as I've put on them.
I think you are blaming Hayes for something that is not really Hayes
fault. I'll admit to having occasional rubs with my Hayes setup, but these
are typically very shortlived, not even lasting out a ride most of the time,
and therefore probably due to a bit of grit etc that temporarily found a
home on the pad.
You mentioned the adapter setup. I don't know exactly what your adapter
looks like, but most adapters are pretty stout and should handle the job
sufficiently. (However, your seatstays are probably flexing more than you
think!) I'm thinking that the real issue _might_ fall in one of these
categories:
1. Your adjustment of pad clearance was not wonderful to start with, leaving
little room on one side?
2. Your frame is unbelievably flexy OR you carry a lot of mass. :-)
3. You use pads that are extra noisy (as some Hayes pads are.)
4. Your hearing is more sensitive than superman's and your tolerance for
"tinging" is as low as my wife's (who has a pretty unhappy case of
tinnitis.)
I'm not here to offer solutions, by the way. Those cost extra. :-)
(And have been offered on here many times before, though I've yet to
receive any royalties for even one of my many wonderful suggestions!) ;-)
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Old December 8th 03, 06:29 AM
N Grover

thanks all,

i'll go over those lists and see what happens but most of those things I
have tried. I have deduced that either i have superman hearing or my trek
mount is too flexy. Trek's basically don't come with an IS mount, so you
have to screw on (three bolts) a trek IS adaptor (which weighs a ton) and
then you have to screw on a hayes adaptor (two more bolts) and then the
caliper (two more bolts) which leads to 7 bolts and a big distance between
the frame and caliper. belive me i can flex the caliper with my hand
without to much problem. the rotor is pretty straight last i checked but
the real kicker is that it does not rub sitting down, only when standing
up. Up front I have a SID fork and although it also "tings" at times i
could probably live with it if that were all because it's not as bad.

I'm not bagging on Hayes, they stop better than anything I've tried and I
would still use them over V's (on the average). I just want the "ultimate"
brake that won't "ting" as much.