No Italian Teams in the Tour de France!!!!!

Old August 5th 20, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default No Italian Teams in the Tour de France!!!!!

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 10:38:46 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 1:13:31 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 10:37:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/5/2020 12:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 5:41:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/4/2020 6:58 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I just got another disinteresting copy of Velonews and it showed the teams that will ride the Tour de France. And there wasn't a single Italian team on it. This brings up the question - Are there any Italian based teams anymore? There are a lot of Italian Teams and Ineos is British.

Your question may have no answer or the answer may be
meaningless:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ke-guide-2020/

Riders have mixed parentage, fluid citizenship and even
sometimes dual citizenship so who is Italian?

Bike brands are more convoluted in that, for example,
Bianchi is a Nederlander company mostly selling Asian frames
with Japanese parts. Is that little Red-White-Green sticker
Italian enough for you?

Although 7/11 was an American team they did have foreign riders. Same with Team Motorola. America changed the face of European bike racing buy bringing proper pay to the bicycle racer. You're not suggesting that Italian Teams couldn't bring their own character to the Grand Tours are you? Maybe half of the teams in the Tour are French

I have no idea or opinion.
In fact, I think this entire area of inquiry has become
pointless in our modern world.

related: Pagani uses German engines. It it still 'Italian'?

Trek-Segafredo is half-Italian. https://segafredocoffee.com/

All these teams have licenses and ownership structures that you may or may not see on the jerseys. A company forms to run a team, goes out and gets a sponsor, and when that sponsor pulls out, it gets another sponsor or goes out of business. Mapei was an Italian sponsor of a team formed in Belgium -- that now has Belgian sponsors (Quick Step). Lotto Jumbo NL was Belkin, Rabobank, Novell, WordPerfect, Buckler-Colnago, Superconfex-Yoko and Kwantum-Decosol -- all one company with multiple, succesive sponsors. It was Buckler-Colnago for a period. Hey, it was a half-Italian team! Sometimes companies will just create their own teams or buy a team, so its ownership and not sponsorship. https://www.outsideonline.com/239229...ling-new-owner

The Italian sponsors have not been stepping up, probably since pro cycling is a huge money sponge. Might as well buy advertising on Googlio.

It would be interesting to see how these teams are organized as a business. I've organized some amateur teams as 501(c)(3) and ridden on them under various jersey names for the same club. EF bought Slipstream, but Slipstream cycled through a lot of names, Garmin, Cannondale, etc., etc.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, you guys have managed o make me lose all interest in the grand tours now.

Why is that? Are you that naive?

Lou
Old August 6th 20, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/5/2020 4:11 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:58:24 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
I just got another disinteresting copy of Velonews and it showed the teams that will ride the Tour de France. And there wasn't a single Italian team on it. This brings up the question - Are there any Italian based teams anymore? There are a lot of Italian Teams and Ineos is British.

https://www.uci.org/road/teams

There are ZERO Italian UCI Worldteams (men). There are a total of 19 UCI World teams. Which I assume means no sponsoring company/group chose to register/set up in Italy. Due to money or legal or hassle reasons most likely. Kind of like many/most USA corporations are officially incorporated in Delaware in the USA. And some have become officially Ireland companies recently. MMM 3M is a Minnesota company. Everyone knows that. Their corporate headquarters are in a suburb of St. Paul. But the company was incorporated in Delaware in 1929. Medtronic, the medical supplies company, is incorporated in Ireland. They were started near Minneapolis 70 years ago.

I think we're in an age where corporations have about as much power and
relevance as nations.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 6th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Really? Maybe Yellow Jersey, Ltd could declare war on
Vanuatu. Or Andorra!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 6th 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 22:30:07 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/5/2020 4:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

The way that many LARGE corporations call the shots with governments it sure seems like it.

Cheers
Old August 6th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I dunno about Vanuatu (1) but the Andorran paramilitary cops are heavily armed.

Andre Jute
(1) I once owned a piece of an island down under which my friends and I declared a tax-free sovereign state, and for which I designed some beautiful passports, but the Revenue Commissioners of the country where we actually lived had no sense of humour.
Old August 6th 20, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Who knows. You might win.

bicycle travel on plane to France/Tour De France [email protected] General 11 June 3rd 09 07:56 PM
Tour of Cali - Only 8 teams? CoBikeRacer Racing 0 January 11th 06 07:37 PM
Pro tour teams peacock suit UK 5 August 22nd 05 02:17 PM
a question about the tour de france teams dwjones45 Racing 1 June 17th 05 12:43 AM
Tour de GA teams psycholist Racing 3 February 23rd 05 03:35 PM