More bicyclists behaving badly

Old September 21st 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More bicyclists behaving badly

On 9/20/2020 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2020 7:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2020 8:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I meant to include a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/u...-arrested.html

Right I'm familiar. Meanwhile, same story different players:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/feds-...-bribery-case/

You call that a scandal? Implicated and subpoenaed and cooperating with
the investigation? That's chicken feed.

Our guy got arrested by the FBI. _That's_ a real scandal!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/20/2020 7:38 PM, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

Good catch. You're right!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/20/2020 9:08 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:38:18 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

“Desire” is a bit strong, but some might claim that “deserve” would work in
that sentence.

Deserve fits better. But even that is tricky. Practically speaking, it's
not unusual to have to choose between two much-less-than-ideal candidates.

And it's not unusual to have people of better motivations find it's not
so easy to run things well.

On a very tiny local level, I recall a time in this little suburban
village when the six members of Village Council really had people
disgusted with their incompetence and infighting. A group of four
neighbors, all smart guys, decided to run as a team. They promised to
take control and run things using good sense.

They campaigned and won and lasted maybe two years. I think they learned
that governing is hard.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 20, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 21:08:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/20/2020 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:

wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

Desire is a bit strong, but some might claim that deserve would work in
that sentence.

I'm not sure, although I am familiar with the quotations of Joseph de
Maistre, but I'm not certain that it accurately describes the
scenario, although certainly if one elects the individual that is
desired one could be said to deserve any and all results there of.

However I much prefer the following and earlier quote, "False opinions
are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter
circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing
what they are doing." as it so aptly describes modern society.

I was reminded of Baltimore's Best. Mr Mencken:
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_163179

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what
they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

But offering the electorate something for their vote is essentially
the basis of the democratic system... "Vote for me and I will give you
...."

Or do you really believe that a candidate that promises to, "Reduce
minimum wages to make our industry more competitive in the world
market", or, perhaps, promises to "increase taxes in order to pay down
the national debt", could be elected?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 20, 10:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 12:35:38 +0700, John B. wrote:

Or do you really believe that a candidate that promises to, "Reduce
minimum wages to make our industry more competitive in the world
market", or, perhaps, promises to "increase taxes in order to pay down
the national debt", could be elected?

Yep, it just depends on who they make that promse to and if those people
pony up enough donations for te election advertising.

Old September 21st 20, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

..."

Or do you really believe that a candidate that promises to, "Reduce
minimum wages to make our industry more competitive in the world
market", or, perhaps, promises to "increase taxes in order to pay down
the national debt", could be elected?

There is ample precedent:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ac/8a/e1/a...cf79bd7a51.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 21st 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Career politician! The guy never worked in private industry -- one government job after another. Drain the swamp!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 21st 20, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Mostly yes although he was a war correspondent in S.A,
captured by the Boers and successfully escaped a POW camp.

Then again he held many conflicting positions over time in
both parties. And Gallipoli...

Old September 21st 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I love how “career politician” is an insult. Strange how nobody ever
applies the same criteria to brain surgeons or lawyers or bike mechanics.

Old September 21st 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

How successful do you believe a brain surgeon with a history like Biden's would be? He has spent his life in politics and has held the wrong position on absolutely everything. Do you suppose your bike mechanic would have any patrons with such a record?