Unicycle insurance company - UK

Old February 20th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

Default Unicycle insurance company - UK

I've just received a press release from EcoInsure, who donate 10% of
premiums to Sustrans and give a 5% discount online. They cover most
things pedal-powered, even things called mountain bikes as well as the
usual unicycles, recumbents, electric bikes, tandems...
'www.ecoinsure.co.uk' (http://www.ecoinsure.co.uk)

I hope that their premiums are around the same as other insurers rather
than 10% higher because of the donation...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 20th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

mikepenton wrote:
I hope that their premiums are around the same as other insurers rather
than 10% higher because of the donation...

The broker (Butterworth) is the same one as the CTC use for their
insurance scheme. So we should be able to tell if they're adding a big
markup by comparing their quotes with the CTC's. A couple of my more
valuable bikes are insured through the CTC, so I could try to make a
comparison.

Personally, the name puts me off - anything with an "eco" prefix just
smacks of self-righteous bandwagon jumping.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 20th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Too late to edit...

OK, the quick quote screen on the Ecoinsure site says £325 to cover my
two bikes (combined value a bit over £3000). I'm currently paying £135
through the CTC for what at first glance would appear to be pretty much
the same cover. OK, so the CTC policy is only available to CTC
members, so you should perhaps take the £30 or so membership fee into
account, but even so it looks like they could afford to give a lot more
than 10% away and still be doing very well.

But that was based on a quick scan through and I could have missed
something somewhere - before anybody from Ecoinsure tries to sue me for
slander or whatever!

Rob

--
rob.northcott
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 20th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

What kind of insurance coverage is it? What we need most is liability
coverage, especially for people who want to perform, use spaces for
practice, or putting together conventions/competitions. Theft insurance
would be nice too, I suppose, but much less important to me.

The Unicycling Society of America is supposed to be (finally) working
on a scheme to share its big liability policy sith members and/or
clubs. I'm still waiting to hear some details. Having insurance will
often be enough to get you in the door, but with weird stuff like
unicycles you want to know what's actually covered.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 20th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

johnfoss wrote:
What kind of insurance coverage is it? What we need most is liability
coverage,

It looks to be theft plus a bit of personal accident cover - but as I
said I haven't read all the policy details. My policy through the CTC
(Cyclists' Touring Club) is for theft cover, but accident and liability
insurance is provided with the membership (and I noticed on this year's
renewal letter it actually mentions unicycles in the description of the
cover).

Rob

--
rob.northcott
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 21st 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sarah.miller

CTC summary of insurance provided
Cover is for injury or damage to a 3rd pary while you are cycling
anywhere inteh world except USA and Canada. 3rd party is NOT someone
employed by you. No cover for damage to family members property. You
are covered if you are cycling on a cycle 9 unicycle, bicycle, tandem
or triplet) unless it is driven by mechanical assit other than
electric.
You are insured while you are using your cycle for private and
professional purposes including busines cycling. You will not be
insured if you are employed as a cyclist - ie cycle courier.
You are insured while cycling in touring competitions, reliability
events, Audax events, time trails and record breaking, not insured for
other forms of competitive cycling.

So not quite what your looking for John Foss. Not bad for a Uk cycle /
uni commuter or leisure rider.

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 21st 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Thanks Sarah! In fact it's much better than I thought, for people who
live in the target market. I wonder why not USA and Canada? Probably
because we're too sue-happy.