The secret of how to ride fast and far

Old November 2nd 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default The secret of how to ride fast and far

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:13:08 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 11/1/2013 2:56 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 10:25:43 AM UTC-7, Dan O wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 9:44:48 AM UTC-7, davethedave wrote:

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:19:03 -0700, Dan O wrote:

8. remain in good condition throughout the year , defeated age./p

Do you mean "throughout the years"? You can't defeat age; don't fight

it. You can age gracefully, though.

I prefer to age disgracefully.

I wasn't really comfortable with the term when I wrote it, but as

you can see had a lot more to write so just left the cliche and

moved on.

Speaking of which It's round about beer

o'clock on a Friday evening here.

Right behind you Cheers!

I don't have to worry about aging because I will most certainly die before I get too much older. I am not riding with a flasher in broad daylight, and I just ordered a super-cheap packable wind/rain jacket (for those iffy days) that is black and not fluorescent. They were sold out of the fluorescent. I will be hit.

Honestly, and even more O.T. (and not to channel Frank), the Danger! Danger! thing is infectious. I now worry about things that I never worried about -- flashers, bright colored clothes, even wearing my helmet on rides to the grocery store ten blocks away. Being on blood thinners affects my thinking, but even so, all this safety stuff is starting to weigh on me psychologically, even after 45 years of near daily riding and no car accidents in decades. None of this stuff (except a helmet) would protect me against the most recent causes of injury -- ice, invisible rain-filled potholes and my own impatience.

BTW, I rode to work in the drear this morning. I turned on my 750 lumen flasher as I was leaving home, and it drove me nuts just being behind it. I pity the foo's who have to look at it. I shut it off and used my low beam. I survived yet another flasher-less commute, but if I finally build my dynamo bike, I'll probably get a 1 watt auxiliary blinky because now I'm scared -- but only 1 watt scared.

I drove to work today because we have high wind warnings. Right now
it's gusting to 90km/h. I've not only been cheated and ripped off for a
low weight plastic bike that offers me no discernible benefit when
climbing hills and for buying light weight wheels that are going to fall
apart as soon as I hit one of those gazillion potholes around here but
now I have a bike that is too light to ride in a hurricane!

Should have taken the bike. Imagine the war stories you could have
told..."Yup, was doing about 85 KPH on the way to work this morning,
but had to push the bike down that big hill coming home" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 2nd 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:34:28 PM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
And there
are so many blinkies flashing around PDX the drivers have probably
adapted to it as the here comes a bike signal, and we *do* have plenty
of drear.

I talked to an online tech support person today who was astonishingly American. She said she was in Portland, OR.

I asked "How's your weather?" and she said "We had some blue sky yesterday, but that's probably the last of it until spring."

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 2nd 13, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ ) is
at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most expensive
in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the number one
spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Old November 2nd 13, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:34:28 PM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
And there
are so many blinkies flashing around PDX the drivers have probably
adapted to it as the here comes a bike signal, and we *do* have plenty
of drear.

I talked to an online tech support person today who was astonishingly American. She said she was in Portland, OR.

http://www.stream.com/

(You should see the inside - makes "Keep Portland Weird"
a gross understatement. They have a challenging intelligence
test, though ;-)

I asked "How's your weather?" and she said "We had some blue sky yesterday, but that's probably the last of it until spring."

:-)

RZ006-WAZ039-020615-
GREATER PORTLAND METRO AREA-GREATER VANCOUVER AREA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PORTLAND...FOREST GROVE...BEAVERTON...
GRESHAM...OREGON CITY...LA CENTER...BATTLEGROUND...VANCOUVER...CAMAS
214 PM PDT FRI NOV 1 2013

.TONIGHT...CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE EVENING...THEN RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.
LOWS 45 TO 50. LIGHT WIND BECOMING SOUTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH AFTER
MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT. RAINFALL AMOUNTS A
TENTH TO A QUARTER OF AN INCH.
.SATURDAY...RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.
WINDY. HIGHS 50 TO 55. SOUTH WIND 25 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40
MPH BECOMING WEST 15 TO 20 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN
NEAR 100 PERCENT. RAINFALL AMOUNTS AROUND A QUARTER OF AN INCH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY. LOWS 40 TO 45. WEST WIND 10 TO 20
MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT. RAINFALL AMOUNTS AROUND A TENTH OF
AN INCH.
.SUNDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY. HIGHS AROUND 50. WEST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
LOWS AROUND 40. SOUTHWEST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...THEN A
CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS AROUND 50. CHANCE OF RAIN
50 PERCENT.
.MONDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS 40 TO 45. CHANCE OF RAIN
60 PERCENT.
.TUESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS AROUND 50. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
LOWS 40 TO 45.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
HIGHS AROUND 50.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN.
LOWS AROUND 40.
.THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS 50 TO 55. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS AROUND 40. CHANCE OF RAIN
70 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS
AROUND 50.
Old November 2nd 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 02/11/13 03:44, davethedave wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:19:03 -0700, Dan O wrote:

8. remain in good condition throughout the year , defeated age./p

Do you mean "throughout the years"? You can't defeat age; don't fight
it. You can age gracefully, though.

I prefer to age disgracefully. Speaking of which It's round about beer
o'clock on a Friday evening here.

Did you know wine sales volume has reached beer sales volume in
Australia? Are people becoming more cultured? Or is our wine just a
cheap alcoholic beverage?

http://theconversation.com/the-rise-...e-nation-14875

--
JS
Old November 2nd 13, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:06:09 -0700, Dan
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ ) is
at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most expensive
in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the number one
spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 2nd 13, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:57:09 +1100, James
wrote:

On 02/11/13 03:44, davethedave wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:19:03 -0700, Dan O wrote:

8. remain in good condition throughout the year , defeated age./p

Do you mean "throughout the years"? You can't defeat age; don't fight
it. You can age gracefully, though.

I prefer to age disgracefully. Speaking of which It's round about beer
o'clock on a Friday evening here.

Did you know wine sales volume has reached beer sales volume in
Australia? Are people becoming more cultured? Or is our wine just a
cheap alcoholic beverage?

http://theconversation.com/the-rise-...e-nation-14875

Y'all make some pretty good wine but culture may be a different story.
I mean, a nation with a song about a sheep thief as a quasi national
anthem? :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 2nd 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ ) is
at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most expensive
in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the number one
spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

A clever falsehood. The key word is 'discretionary' where
the only Constitutional obligation, national defense, is
declared 'optional' and all the huge and growing welfare
programs are called 'non-discretionary'.

Good luck with that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 2nd 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ )
is at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most
expensive in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the
number one spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-

_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Are you implying that military spend and low fuel prices might somehow
be...

err...

how shall we say this?

Connected somehow?