29" mountain bike tires from Vee Rubber?

Old July 24th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default 29" mountain bike tires from Vee Rubber?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:22:29 -0700, Joerg

'It isn't. The Hutchinson Cobra came stock with the bike and that is
an all-purpose XC tire. Not a niche market.'

I would disagree. The bike factory stuck you with soft compound tires
enhancing bike's performance image.

Nope. The center knobs are 50 shore A, only the side ones are 42
durometer. The underlayment is 60. That is not a soft tire.

Univerals Cycles titre wall boggles. Tread tread tread
variations....work the designs over in your head....you'll see
there's an iron for every fairway or trying to get there. But one
size doahn fit all.

hmmm where's the wet red clay subase tread ?

1000 miles ? knobbies cut.lotta knobby designs.Ifn the knobs loose a
sharp edge then the design effectiveness/performance in grip goes
down down down.

so 1000 miles is imposseblay.

Looks like they will give me 1000 miles, but barely. I don't care so
much about top performance as long as they don't slip too much on gnarly
uphills and so far, at 40-50% of remaining tread, they don't.

How many miles do you get and on what tires?

tire life depends more on the cyclist/mechanic than the factory. Are
the wheels always TRUE ? bearings TIGHT ? are you scrubbing corners,
spinning rear without caws ?

but there's Pirelli....know several drivers mention Pirelli n they
convulse. I have a grudge on Michelin for designing a tread locks up
in puddles zzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng it went. deadly. cars
in ravines all over north yurp. then there's Badrich.....

Conti TT went from back sidewalls to brown 'gumwalls' losing weight
carrying capacity to gain response which was that Conti expletive
deleted an outstanding tire.

I just want a tire that lasts a long time. Or, if not available, one
that is cheaper and has similar performance. Hence my peek into what Vee
Rubber has to offer.

Amazon sells 29 x 2.1" off the road tires for 8.60 quid.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 24th 14, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 1.6 or + would be the road replacement for two Vapor 2.1 in the bag. I'll do the 1.6 n see what...

How far ? not far. I stopped commuting/touring without an IC vehicle abt 67 years ago. During the ten year bicycle time...we can ride 365 here no prob...semi tropical...I carried gear or supplies. Conti TT went @700 miles....Messengers maybe 1000 tops. I ran maybe 3-4 tires not more than 50 miles before coming to an end.

With a new van n different upscale mobile priorities, the cyclocrosser is an accoutrement to boots and kayak.

My opinion is an extra 20 bucks for top line tire is well spent. Tires are the connection not a CF frame.

Gravel is a PITA. A schwalbe is a good gravel tire ? turns like a boat anchor too much grippo. There are gravel races for ???? reasons...I should look.

My delight with the cyclocrosser geometry plateaued high when finding the crosser would bomb across the hill bottom gravity fed gravel pits without much expertise from the rider...just zoooom thru the rocks.

Before the Raleigh on 32c would thrown me down

Old July 24th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

wrote:
a 1.6 or + would be the road replacement for two Vapor 2.1 in the
bag. I'll do the 1.6 n see what...

How far ? not far. I stopped commuting/touring without an IC vehicle
abt 67 years ago. During the ten year bicycle time...we can ride 365
here no prob...semi tropical...I carried gear or supplies. Conti TT
went @700 miles...Messengers maybe 1000 tops. I ran maybe 3-4 tires
not more than 50 miles before coming to an end.

Not sure what an IC vehicle is but stopped commuting 67 years ago? Wow!

With a new van n different upscale mobile priorities, the
cyclocrosser is an accoutrement to boots and kayak.

My opinion is an extra 20 bucks for top line tire is well spent.
Tires are the connection not a CF frame.

$20 more for a tire that lasts only 700-1000mi? No way.

Gravel is a PITA. A schwalbe is a good gravel tire ? turns like a
boat anchor too much grippo. There are gravel races for ????
reasons...I should look.

My delight with the cyclocrosser geometry plateaued high when finding
the crosser would bomb across the hill bottom gravity fed gravel pits
without much expertise from the rider...just zoooom thru the rocks.

Before the Raleigh on 32c would thrown me down

A crosser would result in major back pain or nasty crashes out here.
Here is why:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/estavista3.JPG
http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Chapparal1.JPG
http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Chapparal2.jpg

Those are some of my normal "roads". Not so much for fun rides but also
to get from A to B. Plus the gravel ones along an old rail bed which I
often travel at 15-20mph.

Sometimes "bigger gravel":

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/PineHill2.JPG

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 25th 14, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

I don't know about cheap tyres, Joerg; those I had years ago from the LBS lasted the same thousand miles you're getting. But I've had excellent luck with Schwalbe tyres. My current set of Big Apple Liteskins have 7500km on them, and will definitely see 10k in kilometers, over 6000 miles, which makes them economical, though the initial purchase isn't cheap. Guys on another conference where I hang out are well satisfied with the durability of Schwalbe's Dureme and Supreme.

Andre Jute

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:23:14 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

After only 500 miles the Hutchinson Cobra tire on my 29" MTB rear wheel

is down to less than 50% tread. Considering that it is a $50 tire this

disappoints a bit. The tires on my SUV don't cost much more but last at

least 50 times more miles.

Sooo ... since MTB riders told me that tires pretty much all wear down

fast I am looking for a better bang for the buck and found:

http://www.pricepoint.com/Components...no=1&fq=price:[10+TO+20]

Reviews that I saw on mtbr.com and other places were generally ok. Or is

there anything I should be concerned about? And which one should I pick?

I am an XC rider, not a downhiller, but I do ride some very gnarly

trails with rock gardens. I still got time since I can switch front and

back, so maybe another 1000mi if lucky but then they'll be really bald

in the center and I think I must replace them before the wet and muddy

season starts here in Northern California. I do not care about weight at

all. What matters is sturdiness (against punctures, rock hits, side wall

scrapes and such), tread wear and price. In that order. Regarding

traction I found that the $12 Maxxis 1040 on my old 26" MTB are not

worse and they show similar tread wear. Unfortunately Maxxis does not

make those in 29".

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Old July 25th 14, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

Andre Jute wrote:
I don't know about cheap tyres, Joerg;

Well, if the bicycle tire industry can't get a decently durable tire
together I will go by price and if that works the mainstraem
manufacturers won't see me back as a customer.

those I had years ago from the
LBS lasted the same thousand miles you're getting. But I've had
excellent luck with Schwalbe tyres. My current set of Big Apple
Liteskins have 7500km on them, and will definitely see 10k in
kilometers, over 6000 miles, which makes them economical, though the
initial purchase isn't cheap.

They aren't really MTB tires though, not for the tough turf or powdered
clay like we have a lot. Price isn't so bad if one waits out a sale.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...d/rp-prod70854

I don't necessarily need knobs. The Maxxis on my old MTB don't have them
in the middle and are just fine. But I do need a litle deeper tread than
on these Schwalbe tires.

... Guys on another conference where I hang
out are well satisfied with the durability of Schwalbe's Dureme and
Supreme.

Those are Cyclocross tires. What I need is "SUV tires for bicycles".
BEcause my SUV tires last forever and handle well in mud and rocky turf.
My MTB tires also handle that very well but their lifetime is almost two
orders of magnitude lower. I can't believe that the difference in
durability has top be that extreme.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 26th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

6-7 YEARS, internal combustion..

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ind...action=search2

MTbr forms wouldn't search 'tires'

most 'trails' like your photos were picked free of rocks at least as a line of travel.

looks like a hard knobby but not too many and spaced laterally and radially so there a knob for a rock surface not multi knobbs float over rocks...need some grip there...or maybe you want float ?

local Walmart..and the area is deserted in summer now...sports a coupla Pugsly type bikes in bike shop.
Old July 26th 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

wrote:
6-7 YEARS, internal combustion..

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ind...action=search2

MTbr forms wouldn't search 'tires'

mtbr.com has many reviews.

most 'trails' like your photos were picked free of rocks at least as
a line of travel.

Definitely not around here. A normal day in paradise out here, a very
typical trail, with my old MTB:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/PineHill1.JPG

Those Maxxis tires are great and also cheap at about $12 a pop. I sure
wish they made them in 29".

looks like a hard knobby but not too many and spaced laterally and
radially so there a knob for a rock surface not multi knobbs float
over rocks...need some grip there...or maybe you want float ?

Sparsely knobbed tires is pretty much all you get in the world of 29"
tires. The 26" world is much better equipped, see link above.

local Walmart..and the area is deserted in summer now...sports a
coupla Pugsly type bikes in bike shop.

When buying a pump I saw a fat bike at Walmart. But it was single-speed
and didn't have disc brakes, so not very useful on our trails. More like
a beach bike.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 26th 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/KwgmYi
Old July 26th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
http://goo.gl/KwgmYi

There I only get the Google main page.