2014 ultimate bike fail videos - mostly without helmets

Old August 2nd 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default 2014 ultimate bike fail videos - mostly without helmets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQjvrZ5KL4 (6:47)
I didn't count them, but my guess(tm) is only about 30% of the riders
were wearing a helmet, mostly during sponsored events. I wonder if
there's a connection between not wearing a helmet and crashing for the
camera.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 2nd 14, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/1/2014 8:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQjvrZ5KL4 (6:47)
I didn't count them, but my guess(tm) is only about 30% of the riders
were wearing a helmet, mostly during sponsored events. I wonder if
there's a connection between not wearing a helmet and crashing for the
camera.

???

I tried to count them. I got 24 incidents with helmets (some of which
had multiple riders crashing in helmets, so well over 30 individuals), 5
that I couldn't tell whether a helmet was worn or not, and 11 without
helmets.

So it's closer to truth to say only about 30% were not wearing a helmet.
IOW, if you put on a helmet, it enables you to do some really
crazy-risky stuff. That's almost the definition of Risk Compensation.

Of course, all 30+ had their lives saved by the helmets, and all 11
helmet-free cyclists died.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 2nd 14, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:03:06 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/1/2014 8:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQjvrZ5KL4 (6:47)
I didn't count them, but my guess(tm) is only about 30% of the riders
were wearing a helmet, mostly during sponsored events. I wonder if
there's a connection between not wearing a helmet and crashing for the
camera.

I tried to count them. I got 24 incidents with helmets (some of which
had multiple riders crashing in helmets, so well over 30 individuals), 5
that I couldn't tell whether a helmet was worn or not, and 11 without
helmets.

So it's closer to truth to say only about 30% were not wearing a helmet.

So much for my guess(tm). I ran it again, starting and stopping as
necessary, and got 42 crashes. I didn't know what to do with the
crash at the race finish line, so I just counted it as one crash:
26 with helmet 62%
15 no helmet 36%
1 unknown 2%
Ok, you're right and I can't count (or guesstimate).

IOW, if you put on a helmet, it enables you to do some really
crazy-risky stuff. That's almost the definition of Risk Compensation.

Right. With a helmet on, I'm invulnerable. Where's my Superman cape?

Of course, all 30+ had their lives saved by the helmets, and all 11
helmet-free cyclists died.

I only saw one crash that looked really bad (BMX face plant), and he
was wearing a helmet. I played the video again to see how many
crashes looked like the helmet may have prevented an impact with the
ground, tree, or some object, and got 15 saves out of 24 crashes where
the impact was visible. I can't claim that the helmet saved the rider
from injury, but I would guess(tm) that without a helmet, many of
those riders would have been in far worse condition.

I can't extract any definitive conclusions from the video, but I do
find it interesting.

Old August 2nd 14, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:03:06 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Of course, all 30+ had their lives saved by the helmets, and all 11
helmet-free cyclists died.

I knew that eventually we'd convert you to righteousness, Franki-boy.

But I have to tell you, I don't think wearing a helmet, or not wearing one, correlates to "crashing for the camera". And accident is by definition an unpredictable incident.

Of course, it may well be that the most knowledgeable and skilled riders, the ones most likely to avoid situations leading to accidents, are the ones who wear helmets, with the least knowledgeable and least skilled and most accident-prone riders more routinely (and ignorantly or willfully) bareheaded. That would really twist most data sets into a corkscrew. Enjoy the thought.

Ande Jute
Old August 2nd 14, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:58:57 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Right. With a helmet on, I'm invulnerable. Where's my Superman cape?

That's so 20th Century, Jeff, so Post Office snail mail. I'd rather than the cape have the phonebox he changes in, to connect to the power of knowledge.

Andre Jute
Clear thinking on demand
Old August 2nd 14, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/2/2014 6:31 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

... And accident is by definition an unpredictable incident.

The definition of "unpredictable" depends heavily on the knowledge and
intelligence of the predictor.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 2nd 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

That's what I said, Franki-boy. Check back and you'll see I said:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:31:14 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
Of course, it may well be that the most knowledgeable and skilled riders, the ones most likely to avoid situations leading to accidents, are the ones who wear helmets, with the least knowledgeable and least skilled and most accident-prone riders more routinely (and ignorantly or willfully) bareheaded. That would really twist most data sets into a corkscrew. Enjoy the thought.

Ande Jute

Of course, in the absence of data to prove the hypothesis, I said it in a more defensible manner than you have managed, Franki-boy; but then we're used to wildly categorical statements from you where none is justified by the known facts, and make allowances for your woolly way with words.

Andre Jute
Precision is overrated, except when speaking to idiots, when it is essential
Old August 3rd 14, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 03:34:13 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:58:57 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Right. With a helmet on, I'm invulnerable. Where's my Superman cape?

That's so 20th Century, Jeff, so Post Office snail mail. I'd rather
than the cape have the phonebox he changes in, to connect to the
power of knowledge.

You want a Tardis? Well, ok... How do these look?
http://www.pacinfo.com/~eps/Used.html
or if you want something more modern:
https://www.payphone.com/Booths-and-Enclosures/
or just get your phone booth directly from BT:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9229954/BT-puts-red-phone-boxes-up-for-sale-for-2000.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/9252219/Inside-the-red-phone-box-graveyard.html
Better red than well read.

For the knowledge connection, I suggest you inquire about the library
on Kar-Charrat, which is reputed to contain all the knowledge of the
universe:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Library_on_Kar-Charrat

Old August 3rd 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

By golly, Jeff, you're the man! Nobody can beat you on the trivia quiz!

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:46:39 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

You want a Tardis? Well, ok... How do these look?

http://www.pacinfo.com/~eps/Used.html

or if you want something more modern:

https://www.payphone.com/Booths-and-Enclosures/

or just get your phone booth directly from BT:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9229954/BT-puts-red-phone-boxes-up-for-sale-for-2000.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/9252219/Inside-the-red-phone-box-graveyard.html

Thanks but I have one already. See about three-quarters down the page at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLEKilmacsimon2.html

Better red than well read.

Rather not. I lectured on the marketing applications of statistics in Russia under Breshnev during the first mini-perestroika. I wasn't impressed with the communist model. In fact, I coined the black joke that was rejuvenated under Gorbachev's Perestroika:

Q: "What comes after perestroika?"

A: "Perestrelka."

Perestoika is, loosely, the liberty to choose. Perestrelka, in case you've lost your Russian, is "shooting".

For the knowledge connection, I suggest you inquire about the library

on Kar-Charrat, which is reputed to contain all the knowledge of the

universe:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Library_on_Kar-Charrat

Mmm, I was slightly chummy with Douglas Adams, who was script editor of the Doctor Who in its golden era (I think -- I'm not a fan of Doctor Who and we never discussed it) and later wrote the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy books, and he never mentioned a library at the end of the galaxy. Of course, I don't look like the sort of chap who knows where the library is...

Andre Jute
Why couldn't I know beautiful loose women instead?
Old August 3rd 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 11:32:57 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

By golly, Jeff, you're the man! Nobody can beat you on the trivia quiz!

Not really. My memory isn't that great, but I'm fairly good with
doing lookups using Google.

It's not what or who you know. It's how well you are able to find
things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9229954/BT-puts-red-phone-boxes-up-for-sale-for-2000.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/9252219/Inside-the-red-phone-box-graveyard.html

Thanks but I have one already. See about three-quarters down the page at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLEKilmacsimon2.html

http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLE%20Kilmacsimon%20return%20288pix%20high/IMG_4901.JPG
Nice, but I thought that all the Tardis police boxes were blue?
https://www.google.com/search?q=tardis+police+box&tbm=isch
A white Tardis would be heresy.

Better red than well read.

Rather not. I lectured on the marketing applications of statistics in Russia
under Breshnev during the first mini-perestroika. I wasn't impressed with
the communist model. In fact, I coined the black joke that was rejuvenated
under Gorbachev's Perestroika:

Q: "What comes after perestroika?"
A: "Perestrelka."
Perestroika is, loosely, the liberty to choose. Perestrelka, in case
you've lost your Russian, is "shooting".

I hadn't heard that one. I thought perestroika was "restructuring"
which was the Communist reaction to the economy operated essentially
as a black market leaving little for the government to plunder.
Chernobyl in 1986 seemed to have inspired a "do something, even if
it's wrong" attitude, mostly due to fear of open revolt. So much for
glasnost (openness) where the government kept the incident and dangers
of Chernobyl to itself.

My Russian language skills are a lost cause. I was planning to fly to
Moscow for the 1980 Olympics. I learned a few phrases and sorta
learned to decode Cyrillic, but gave up after the US bailed out after
the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Library_on_Kar-Charrat

Mmm, I was slightly chummy with Douglas Adams, who was script editor of
the Doctor Who in its golden era (I think -- I'm not a fan of Doctor Who
and we never discussed it) and later wrote the Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galazy books, and he never mentioned a library at the end of the galaxy.

I watch old Dr Who movies when I need a kick in the imagination. I
don't like the newer versions, which replace imagination with computer
graphics. I've never read anything by Douglas Adams, which I guess
makes me culturally deprived. He replaced the library at the end of
the universe, with the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
http://www.amazon.com/Restaurant-Universe-Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-ebook/dp/B001ODEQCU

Of course, I don't look like the sort of chap who knows where the
library is...

Libraries are a bit passe in todays computerized world. Today, it
would be the server farm, or data center at the end of the universe.
Visiting one in the UK might be a problem:
http://www.thebunker.net/about-us/facilities/
Perhaps it's time to fine a new metaphor for places where information
tends to concentrate.

Andre Jute
Why couldn't I know beautiful loose women instead?

Smart, loose, beautiful... pick any two.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

2014 Cannondale Rush 29'r 2 [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 30th 14 04:29 PM
2014 Giro U.S. television coverage OccasionalFlyer Racing 2 May 10th 14 04:27 AM
2014 a record? Gilberto UK 1 February 12th 14 08:55 AM
Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert 2014 [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 28th 14 05:19 AM
Ultimate safety mod for helmets? Werehatrack General 7 May 10th 06 04:38 AM