Knackered bottom bracket.

Old August 10th 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default Knackered bottom bracket.

wrote in
:

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 2:35:14 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/7/2016 3:59 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Among the bikes I've stripped for salvage recently; there
seems to be an increasing number with totally wrecked bottom
bracket bearings.

Can't ever remember wrecking one myself - even a very old
rusty Raleigh.

Is quality going downhill just lately?

Older (pre-1980s), products which have had no maintenance
since new are just about at life's end. Lubricants dessicate
and fail, bearings and bearing surfaces shortly after.

Just about anything except very top-end models after roughly
1990 were mostly built without significant shop prep as
labor costs rose. Most shops quit full all-parts-off new
bicycle prep and the factory setup was marginal at best.
There are exceptions but that's the general run of it.

That said, regular cleaning and lubrication can keep even
midrange hub and BB bearings running for a cyclist's
lifetime. We see Record hubs regularly (mailed in for new
spokes and rims) which are running well after 40~50 years
with annual or 2-year bearing service.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I've taken apart 10 or 12 year old bike bottom brackets and the grease
is black with dirt and wear from rollers running on bare metal.

With maintenance old fashioned open roller bottom brackets will last
forever.

The new enclosed BB's will required replacement at regular intervals
but what that is I haven't discovered yet.

Campagnolo's warranty of its sealed BBs is three years against
manufacturer's defects, so I would take it from there that mine could fail
any time thereafter.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 10th 16, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"John B." wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:30:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Most of the real old bikes I ended up with probably never got any oil
since
leaving the shop.

Very often rusty, but advanced lubricants hide many sins. Once or twice
I've
had to adjust bottom bracket bearing on old bikes - but never had to
repair
a broken one.

A relative had a complete BB bearing failure on a very recent bike, the
spacer cage had been crushed and the shop didn't have any, so I filled the
cup with balls. AFAIK: My brother sold the bike when the relative passed
on.

If you do that again the old rule of thumb was always one ball less
than full. You put balls in the outer race, shoulder to shoulder, as
it were until it is full. Then take out one ball and assemble the
bearing.

Utter bollox as I'd expect from you.

Leaving one ball out creates a gap that the cone settles into - then the
cone will be resting the entire force on the 2 balls that are either side of
the gap.

The cup is always designed so too many balls won't fit, and too few will be
obvious.

Old August 10th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Ian Field wrote:

:"John B." wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:30:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
: wrote:
:
:
:
wrote in message
[...]
: --
[...]

Take your meds, dude. He's right.

--
sig 91
Old August 10th 16, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"David Scheidt" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

:"John B." wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:30:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
: wrote:
:
:
:
wrote in message
[...]

No he's not - the right number of balls leaves a gap that's way too small to
take one too many.

If you take one out as he says - you'll end up with a couple of cracked ball
bearings that break up and ruin the others.

He's a ****wit - and I despair of anyone who can't recognise that!

Old August 10th 16, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 4:39:37 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
"David Scheidt" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

:"John B." wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:30:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
: wrote:
:
:
:
wrote in message
[...]

Not that you'll believe it but for the sake of others; full minus one ball bearing in any bicycle cup and cone system is NORMAL. A Google Search gets the reasoning behind the normal full minus one ball bearing that any Competent bicycle mechanic uses.

"In practice most bearings spread a little as you tighten the cones so "full" when you're adding balls is not actually full in use. You can usually see this - when you're adding balls they generally sit in against the axle, then when you add the cone it spreads the bearings slightly. So filling the race is almost always fine.

Don't be tempted to add one more to fill in the extra space created when you tighten it up, this is exactly the situation the "full less one" guide is trying to avoid. That "full plus one" means all the load is on one bearing (and one section of the cone), plus the bearings are really grnding against each other as the wheel rotates. If you're lucky the wheel won't rotate in this situation, but if you're unlucky you're wreck the cups and have to replace the cups (or hub, if the cups are not replaceable)."

Cheerio
Old August 10th 16, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

For any given standard cup-and-cone design, the correct
count minus one will ride at the exact same diameter and run
just fine (albeit with faster wear from fewer wear points).

Add one more than correct count and balls contact sections
of the cup and/or cone the designer never intended. The
system will chew itself up in short order. Hence the general
rule of thumb to run short when in doubt.

Old August 10th 16, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/10/2016 3:40 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"David Scheidt" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

:"John B." wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:30:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
: wrote:
:
:
:

wrote:
[...]

If you have a point it escaped me even on second reading.

I see plenty of examples both ways and one short works just
fine. One over is a mess of chewed edges and damaged balls.

Old August 10th 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

WUHWUHWUHW WUH....

YASEE, the assembly in one too many may look as if there's a gap left over but not when the assembly is tightened down to turn.

the minus one off full in correct form LEAVES A GAP GAP begging for...

one mo ball

but that GAPEING GAP DIVIDED BY 8 balls or 7 ...you either get an 8 ball or an odd lucky ball I forget which, is a small gap between balls...

check gaps on a retainer set. fairly wide, no ?

this assumes yawl have the correct size balls.

This 2 will become obvious if incorrect.

long live the cartridge bearing.

Old August 11th 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 20:45:15 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Yup, Certainly!

Of course a great many others don't agree with you. For example:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...icle-section-7

But of course, the fact that probably the largest maker of bike tools
in the U.S. doesn't agree with you is no cause for alarm.

Nope, Straight Ahead! Full Speed! And just like the Titanic. Crash!

One can only speculate whether you represent Modern America? Not
overly bright, poorly educated and too stupid to research the question
before you pop up with the wrong answer.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 11th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" wrote in message
WUHWUHWUHW WUH....

YASEE, the assembly in one too many may look as if there's a gap left over
but not when the assembly is tightened down to turn.

the minus one off full in correct form LEAVES A GAP GAP begging for...

one mo ball

Only ever had that problem on the first bearing I ever reassembled - the
balls stuck in the smear of grease in the cup looked like they fit. When I
tried to adjust the cone - it became very obvious that they didn't.

Is the torque on a nutted bottom bracket different than a bolt-onbottom bracket? TomYoung Techniques 3 June 25th 08 09:44 PM
Bottom bracket lardyninja UK 14 April 16th 08 08:46 PM
Bottom Bracket Bob[_2_] UK 18 March 21st 08 12:03 PM
Bottom bracket Alex UK 11 May 10th 04 02:05 PM
What bottom bracket do I need? Sheldon Brown Techniques 1 July 29th 03 09:24 PM