Truing Park TS2 Truing Stand?

Old August 1st 05, 02:04 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Truing Park TS2 Truing Stand?

I adjust my Park TS2 stand using a front wheel, 100 mm axel, that I
know is centered on the axel. When I use the stand for a wheel with a
rear wheel, with 130 mm axel, the truing stand is off. The wheel dish
will come out with the rim to left of center. In other words, I need
to move the rim towards the drive side. I checked with 2 dishing
tools.

Is there something that I should be doing differently to adjust the
TS@ so that the self truing feature is not dependant on the distance
between the arms?
Old August 1st 05, 08:15 PM
Tom Reingold

Paul Kopit wrote:
I adjust my Park TS2 stand using a front wheel, 100 mm axel, that I
know is centered on the axel. When I use the stand for a wheel with a
rear wheel, with 130 mm axel, the truing stand is off. The wheel dish
will come out with the rim to left of center. In other words, I need
to move the rim towards the drive side. I checked with 2 dishing
tools.

Is there something that I should be doing differently to adjust the
TS@ so that the self truing feature is not dependant on the distance
between the arms?

Even when I used a professional truing stand, I never trusted it to make
a centered wheel. I always checked every wheel -- front and rear -- with
a dishing tool. Then when I saw how off-center a wheel was, I adjusted
it and rechecked, iteratively, until it was centered.

This was years ago when I had a job that involved sitting for hours at a
truing stand every day.

Tom

Old August 2nd 05, 11:55 AM
Michael Dart

Paul Kopit wrote:
I adjust my Park TS2 stand using a front wheel, 100 mm axel, that I
know is centered on the axel. When I use the stand for a wheel with a
rear wheel, with 130 mm axel, the truing stand is off. The wheel dish
will come out with the rim to left of center. In other words, I need
to move the rim towards the drive side. I checked with 2 dishing
tools.

Is there something that I should be doing differently to adjust the
TS@ so that the self truing feature is not dependant on the distance
between the arms?

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQts2.shtml

Depending on its age there may be a rebuild kit available for it.

Mike

Old August 2nd 05, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Paul Kopit wrote:
I adjust my Park TS2 stand using a front wheel, 100 mm axel, that I
know is centered on the axel. When I use the stand for a wheel with a
rear wheel, with 130 mm axel, the truing stand is off. The wheel dish
will come out with the rim to left of center. In other words, I need
to move the rim towards the drive side. I checked with 2 dishing
tools.

Is there something that I should be doing differently to adjust the
TS@ so that the self truing feature is not dependant on the distance
between the arms?

One of the arms is not moving equally when you widen the arms for the
130mm axle. Maybe some lube or something but the dish feature is
centering the guides for the rim(I know you know that) but it depends
on the arms opening equally...

Old August 3rd 05, 03:12 AM
jim beam

Michael Dart wrote:
Paul Kopit wrote:

I adjust my Park TS2 stand using a front wheel, 100 mm axel, that I
know is centered on the axel. When I use the stand for a wheel with a
rear wheel, with 130 mm axel, the truing stand is off. The wheel dish
will come out with the rim to left of center. In other words, I need
to move the rim towards the drive side. I checked with 2 dishing
tools.

Is there something that I should be doing differently to adjust the
TS@ so that the self truing feature is not dependant on the distance
between the arms?

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQts2.shtml

Depending on its age there may be a rebuild kit available for it.

Mike

my ts2 has been like that from new. imo, it's a very practical tool as
it allows work with the tire on the rim, but for radial work, it's
useless and for centering, as has been described by the op, it's not
much good either. trust to a proper dishing gauge if you want your
wheels to be centered and trust to a cheapo minoura if you want your
wheels round.

Old August 3rd 05, 01:56 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jim beam wrote:
s and for centering, as has been described by the op, it's not
much good either. trust to a proper dishing gauge if you want your
wheels to be centered and trust to a cheapo minoura if you want your
wheels round.

Altho I check my wheels with a dishing tool, my TS-2 does dish very
accurately, always has. Not sure why the two mentioned don't.