A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

randonneur



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 24th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default randonneur

jbeattie writes:

Fuji touring bike.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8654
[...]
Even cheaper at Nashbar.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...ing-bike-nb-tr


Thank you, Fuji and Nashbar added

Oh, I forgot one thing on my "demand list",
rim brakes!

--
underground experts exiled
Ads
  #22  
Old May 24th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default randonneur

Sepp Ruf writes:

Shipping to SWE:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/fuji-touring-road-bike-2018/rp-prod166407


8806 SEK! Great!

Anyone has any experience from if not this bike in
particular but the brand? Fuji, quality
Japanese/Taiwan/China stuff?

--
underground experts exiled
  #23  
Old May 25th 18, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default randonneur

On Thu, 24 May 2018 20:34:12 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I think that you are getting all tangled up in
definitions. Try the Blayley's site. I think in one
description The Fixie Pixie (the female member of
the team) describes a Brevet Bike (what you are
calling a Randonneuring Bike) as "reliable and
comfortable has enough storage capacity that you can
carry what you need for the distance and conditions
(including clothes and tools) and/or store what you
no longer need, and since the longer brevets require
lights and usually involve sustained night riding,
a bike used for longer brevets should have reliable
long-lasting lights". Which might equally well
describe a long distance touring bike :-)


I'm getting all tangled up? Because that's what
*I* said, basically


Your just posted questions about the Fuji touring bike is an example.
Whoopee! Real Elios 2CrMo! But in a quick perusal of the Fuji site I
found no technical specs of the frame tube sets. So how great is it?
(In comparison have a look at the upper end of the Columbus tube sets
where they list the chemical and physical specs of each of the
available tubes. In some cases where the heat treatment is critical
specific temperatures and times (where required) are listed.

Some years ago a guy got together with a custom frame maker and they
built two frames. One from a specific tube maker's top end tube sets
and a second from the same tube maker's lowest end stuff. If memory
serves the only physical difference in the two frames was the color.
Pink in one case and blue in the other.

They when the frames were completed they built two bicycles and gather
a group of the most vocal pundits to evaluate them.

What they discovered was that there was no consistency whatsoever in
the evaluations. One mob would pick the "low end" tube set bike and
rave about the road holding and great ride while a second mob would be
writing an equally enthusiastic report about the great ride and
unbelievably great cornering of the frame built from the "high end
stuff".

Ask Frank for the details if you are interested as I believe he
maintains a file of that sort of information :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.


  #24  
Old May 25th 18, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default randonneur

On Thu, 24 May 2018 20:53:56 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

jbeattie writes:

Fuji touring bike.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8654
[...]
Even cheaper at Nashbar.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...ing-bike-nb-tr


Thank you, Fuji and Nashbar added

Oh, I forgot one thing on my "demand list",
rim brakes!


But why? When I was a little fellow I had a bike, for a while, that
had no brakes at all. Just drag your feet to stop. Much lighter then
actual brake sets complete with cables.

(I will admit however that by the age of 12 I had learned how to
repair lever brakes and went back to using them (with appropriate
claims of superiority :-))
--
Cheers,

John B.


  #25  
Old May 25th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,167
Default randonneur

On 5/24/2018 2:39 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane writes:

No, it’s just a touring bike like you can find
anywhere. Mine was a Bianchi Volpe purchased in
a typical bike shop in Albany NY. If that’s what
you’re looking for you should have your pick.


Bianchi Volpe, thanks, I'll add that to the list of
possible bikes.


A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it very much.
Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #26  
Old May 25th 18, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default randonneur

On Fri, 25 May 2018 00:14:00 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/24/2018 2:39 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane writes:

No, its just a touring bike like you can find
anywhere. Mine was a Bianchi Volpe purchased in
a typical bike shop in Albany NY. If thats what
youre looking for you should have your pick.


Bianchi Volpe, thanks, I'll add that to the list of
possible bikes.


A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it very much.
Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.



But in essence, isn't that "IT"?

If you firmly believe that in picking this whatever, be it bicycle
frame, motor car, or female partner in life, that "You got the Good
One" your life is going to be a lot more satisfactory then if one goes
through life with a faint feeling that you, "should have taken the
other one" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.


  #27  
Old May 25th 18, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default randonneur

Frank Krygowski writes:

A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it
very much. Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.


Good! Because it is just a bike. Perhaps she is good
at something else instead.

On the Fuji bike, can one get a rack for the
front/front sides (2 or 3 bags), as well, and a pair
of them vertical/horizontal extentions (?) to the
brake levers so one can get to them (the brakes) from
other hand positions?

Tires only 32 tho. That's too thin IMO.

--
underground experts exiled
  #28  
Old May 25th 18, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,653
Default randonneur

On 5/24/2018 11:14 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/24/2018 2:39 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane writes:

No, it’s just a touring bike like you can find
anywhere. Mine was a Bianchi Volpe purchased in
a typical bike shop in Albany NY. If that’s what
you’re looking for you should have your pick.


Bianchi Volpe, thanks, I'll add that to the list of
possible bikes.


A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it very much.
Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.



High praise indeed!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #29  
Old May 25th 18, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 174
Default randonneur

On 25/05/2018 8:08 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it
very much. Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.


Good! Because it is just a bike. Perhaps she is good
at something else instead.

On the Fuji bike, can one get a rack for the
front/front sides (2 or 3 bags), as well, and a pair
of them vertical/horizontal extentions (?) to the
brake levers so one can get to them (the brakes) from
other hand positions?

Tires only 32 tho. That's too thin IMO.


You are really looking for a loaded touring bike then. The Volpe is
what used to be called a Sports Touring bike. Probably closer to what
someone would use to do brevets. Mine was a 90s model but even then I'm
not sure tires much bigger than 32 would fit. No idea what the current
models are like.
  #30  
Old May 25th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 161
Default randonneur

Duane wrote:
On 25/05/2018 8:08 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it
very much. Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.


Good! Because it is just a bike. Perhaps she is good
at something else instead.

On the Fuji bike, can one get a rack for the
front/front sides (2 or 3 bags), as well, and a pair
of them vertical/horizontal extentions (?) to the
brake levers so one can get to them (the brakes) from
other hand positions?

Tires only 32 tho. That's too thin IMO.


You are really looking for a loaded touring bike then. The Volpe is
what used to be called a Sports Touring bike. Probably closer to what
someone would use to do brevets. Mine was a 90s model but even then I'm
not sure tires much bigger than 32 would fit. No idea what the current
models are like.


Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul Trucker. Front and rear racks
and fenders. Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake while
upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't clip your panniers. CroMo
frame. 36 spoke wheels. Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame. Blah, blah, blah...

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New randonneur handlebar bcdrums Techniques 7 June 17th 10 11:02 AM
Vivente World randonneur burnt Australia 6 April 17th 07 08:39 AM
mongoose randonneur [email protected] Australia 1 March 8th 07 11:07 AM
Mongoose Randonneur LE Pro noom Australia 1 March 7th 07 10:43 AM
Raleigh Randonneur headset Paul Boyd UK 9 February 10th 06 06:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.