Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cycles away.

Old June 9th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cycles away.

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 1:14:38 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/06/18 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on
cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing
to with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills. In a car
you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.

In a car, I feel hemmed in and constrained. A bike gives a very
different view of the world. I believe I transfer some of the feeling of
vulnerability, the spatial and defensive skills learned on a bike into
driving.

As I have said before, safe driving is more about attitude than machine control.

In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to
cooperate with their fellow man. Just look at the way drivers push
into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the
past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

There is a massive level of hypocrisy amongst people that only see the
the world through the windscreen and mutter about various perceived
faults of a person they see riding a bike.

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

Nugent has some serious mental health issues.

Old June 9th 18, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

He does not ride a pedal cycle in the ****ing down rain, the snow and the
high winds. He does not need to dodge pot holes in the road as he will not
fall out of his car as you may fall off your silly little bicycle.
He does not arrive to the workplace stinking of sweat and needing to have a
shower and to change his clothes before he does a days work.
Now, who has mental health issues, bollock brains?

Old June 9th 18, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 09/06/18 15:23, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 1:14:38 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/06/18 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on
cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing
to with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills. In a car
you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.

In a car, I feel hemmed in and constrained. A bike gives a very
different view of the world. I believe I transfer some of the feeling of
vulnerability, the spatial and defensive skills learned on a bike into
driving.

As I have said before, safe driving is more about attitude than machine control.

Machine control is not about speed at all cost. A driver with all the
attitude in the world but operating at the limit of ability is not safe.
A technical driver has better ability to respond to conditions.

In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to
cooperate with their fellow man. Just look at the way drivers push
into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the
past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

There is a massive level of hypocrisy amongst people that only see the
the world through the windscreen and mutter about various perceived
faults of a person they see riding a bike.

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

Nugent has some serious mental health issues.

Not necessarily serious, I suggest. But definitely issues.

Old June 10th 18, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 10/06/18 07:16, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
silly little bicycle

I live my silly little bicycle. It is a thoroughly convenient economical
delightful viable means of transport.

I have no ****ing interest in looking good in YOUR eyes.
After all I ride a bicycle.
And we all know what YOU think of bicyclists. You think they are the
****witted pits of humanity.
And because it is YOU who think that, that is an extremely great
compliment.
We must be doing something right.
Old June 10th 18, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 11:02:49 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

F1 drivers take corners at the raged edge of the machines ability.
Some people equate than with being a good driver, I disagree.
Obviously you need the skills to make the machine do what you want it to do but once that skill is mastered it is more about how you interact with other road users.
I passed my test in 1984 and have no further training yet I have no problem passing cyclists safely, or giving way to pedestrians at junctions.
Why is that?

In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to
cooperate with their fellow man. Just look at the way drivers push
into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the
past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

There is a massive level of hypocrisy amongst people that only see the
the world through the windscreen and mutter about various perceived
faults of a person they see riding a bike.

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

Nugent has some serious mental health issues.

Not necessarily serious, I suggest. But definitely issues.

Peter Pan Syndrome?

Old June 10th 18, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:
[...]

It would certainly be a completely different activity to driving on
public roads.

Sometimes I thrash a go-cart. Going all out I have no trouble with left
foot braking yet when it comes to pottering on yellow lights I sometimes
have to think about it, probably because the pace becomes like driving a
normal car. I've also done some gliding - something quite unlike a
wheeled vehicle.

I am now a volunteer minibus driver for a charity. Giving the 14 people
behind a comfortable journey is the first consideration and the art is
just as much a "performance" activity as anything else; thrashing a
go-cart or gliding may seem worlds apart from this but I am certain
there are pathways lodged in the neurons that contribute.

Obviously you need the skills to make the machine do what you want it
to do but once that skill is mastered

There is no defined end point.

it is more about how you
interact with other road users. I passed my test in 1984 and have no
further training yet I have no problem passing cyclists safely, or
giving way to pedestrians at junctions. Why is that?

It's not about "cyclists", "pedestrians", "motorists". Using the road is
about people going from one place to another, for whatever purpose, and
encountering a person crossing the road is no different to having a 44
tonne lorry in the way. Some people don't seem able to cope with that.

Locally there is a plan to build a new road intended only for buses and
bikes. Obviously there is muttering in the local press about how unfair
it is giving "cyclists" the benefit (riding "dangerously", obviously;
usually a euphemism for going faster than them - how dare they). The
whingers don't seem to realise that "cyclists" are people like them,
going where they are going, are just as ****ed off about sitting in a
traffic jam but they do something about it rather than complaining.
Old June 10th 18, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:
[...]

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there no old bold pilots.