NY canal system

Old February 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default NY canal system

Hi All,

In June my wife and I are planning a vacation in NY. We are planning on
biking the Erie Canal area from Niagara towards Albany.

I would like to hear of any experiences any of you all have had doing this.
Are there shuttle services? Nice places to stay? Good restaurants? We are
both 62 years old so we are not going to be racing but we do have endurance.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

Old February 28th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

The canal does not go to Niagara.. you can get on in Tonawanda to Lockport..
Not sure where you need to be shuttled to.. but in general.. there are no
buses.

New York State has a ride each year , so you may want to look at their web
site for ideas on where to stay etc.
http://www.canals.state.ny.us/exvac/trail/index.html

I have bike parts of it around Rochester.. nice paths.. make sure to stop in
Brockport .. there is a restaurant called Mickey Ryan's.... good chili
cheese fries and burgers...

Old February 28th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

jtdickie wrote:
Hi All,

In June my wife and I are planning a vacation in NY. We are planning on
biking the Erie Canal area from Niagara towards Albany.

The canal path starts in Buffalo and is a very easy ride. I've done it twice,
both times starting near Peace Bridge and riding through Buffalo staying near
the river till we got to the canal.

Yes, there are plenty of places to eat, many of them Very good. Look at
http://ptny.org. They run a canal tour every year in July. Actually on the
home page there are 4 pictures, I am the left most rider in the lower right
picture (with the blue shirt). As for places to stay, there are small towns
all along the canal, and although our tour camps at schools/colleges along the
route, most towns have some accommodations - check ahead.

mike

Old February 28th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

There's info about a small part of the canal path at my website:
www.geocities.com/NYRides . My experience in riding the end near Albany
was somewhat different from the rest of the people who responded to you. I
found that part of the path a little too desolate and boring. The section I
describe on the site was nice, though, and I'm sure there are many other
very nice sections. A good attitude to begin your ride with is that it's
all about what you make of it. There will be long stretches of nothing but
overgrown grass and electrical wires. Then there will be the great little
trailside cafes and villages that make it all worthwhile. You just have to
figure out how to have fun in between.

FYI, there's also a recreational path that runs along the Niagara River that
will take you to the Falls and beyond. That's a whole different ride,
though. Perhaps you can drive to the start of that one and take it to
Niagara. Don't forget your passport!
"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...
jtdickie wrote:
[...]

Get a FREE Satellite System!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] General 0 June 15th 05 08:19 PM
New Product: The CELLO bike case/travel system for your BOB trailer! Wandertec Marketplace 0 March 3rd 05 12:54 AM
New Product: The CELLO bike case/travel system for your BOB trailer! Wandertec Marketplace 0 March 3rd 05 12:54 AM
Upgrading the gear system? Dan General 7 September 28th 04 02:05 AM
Trail Care Day Uwharrie Woodrun Trail System ... Central, NC (Supertree and Keyauwee) Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 13th 04 05:55 PM