London to Brighton 2009

Old June 15th 09, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
P Birch

Default London to Brighton 2009

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter
Old June 15th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob[_2_]

On 15 June, 10:08, P Birch wrote:
Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day *or is it frowned upon? *I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. *Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? *Thanks
Peter

You run the risk of getting the ride cancelled due to excessive
numbers and thereby losing the charity one of it's key incomes.

Your choice.
Old June 15th 09, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

P Birch wrote:

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

could do http://www.capitaltocoast.org.uk/ still got two weeks to get
sorted, essentally the same distance etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast
Old June 15th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
congokid

In article
, P
Birch writes
Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

Both times I've done it I entered and received the entry pack with
instructions, etc, but the crowds at the start point were so huge I and
my friend cycled a mile or so further south and joined the route there.

Like you I missed the deadline this year, and was considering doing what
you mention, but have had second thoughts. Apart from the prospect of
Ditchling Beacon, the return journey presents too many complexities. I
could stay overnight with a friend, but I still have the challenge of
getting home. And now I've got a party elsewhere in London to attend
that evening.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old June 15th 09, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andrew Richardson[_2_]

P Birch wrote:

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

I'd second Roger's recommendation and go for the Capital to Coast ride
instead. I did this when it was still called the Big H and had a great
ride from Hampton Court to Hove. I think it might go from somewhere
else now, but it's a great ride nonetheless, most of it on quiet,
unclassified roads. There are only around 3,000 riders so there's
enough riders to feel as if you're in a proper group ride without too
many people clogging up the route.

The only downsides are that the road is still open to general traffic
(although I didn't see this as a particular problem) and there's
Devil's Dyke to climb up at the end!

--
Andrew Richardson
Old June 15th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 02:08:58 -0700 (PDT), P Birch
wrote:

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

Cycle London to Brighton with the cars on 1st November 2009.

It can hardly be called a motor traffic free route, but with the only
motor vehicles being built before 1905, you will find the run great
fun.

http://www.lbvcr.com/

Bicycles are not banned from the train on the return to London.
Old June 16th 09, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

wrote:

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

Cycle London to Brighton with the cars on 1st November 2009.

It can hardly be called a motor traffic free route, but with the only
motor vehicles being built before 1905, you will find the run great
fun.

http://www.lbvcr.com/

Bicycles are not banned from the train on the return to London.

Or try the Friday Night Ride to the Coast.
--
Tim
Old June 16th 09, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Andrew Richardson -wanadoo-dot-co-dot-uk wrote:

P Birch wrote:

[...]

runs from esher college so 2 mins away from hampton court.

roger
Old June 16th 09, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_3_]

wrote:

Hi, anyone just joining the ride on the day or is it frowned upon? I
was too late to get an entry and was reminded about the ride yesterady
with all the road signs around Brighton. Can't really see a problem
as the ride is on public roads. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks
Peter

Cycle London to Brighton with the cars on 1st November 2009.

It can hardly be called a motor traffic free route, but with the only
motor vehicles being built before 1905, you will find the run great
fun.

http://www.lbvcr.com/

Bicycles are not banned from the train on the return to London.

Or try the Friday Night Ride to the Coast.
--
Tim

My club is on the route of the LtoB car rally and I had the fun of
overtaking some old wreck whilst cycling up hill. ;-)))

He was cold. I was hot!

Old June 16th 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:23:00 +0100, "Light of Aria"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Passing cars going uphill on the Veteran London to Brighton Car Rally
is not an uncommon experience even for people on foot.

I met Tim on the ride, though I did not know at the time Tim was Tim!

London to Brighton CJB UK 33 June 20th 06 11:54 AM
London to Brighton John Hearns UK 3 June 19th 06 09:54 AM
London to Brighton Phil Davies UK 0 June 18th 06 01:30 PM
London 2 Brighton Vivian UK 12 April 25th 04 10:15 AM
London 2 Brighton Frensley UK 9 February 9th 04 10:59 PM