This weekend's ride report

Old June 16th 09, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Henry Lockwood

Default This weekend's ride report

There was a certain amount of booze consumed on Saturday, given one
thing and another, and I have an injured foot that means cycling is
less comfortable than usual. Still, Sunday was a bright and sunny day
so my brother and I went out for a spin.

Here's the route we took, more-or-less: http://preview.tinyurl.com/mwt3p3
For those who don't want the map, the route was Cambridge-Histon-
Oakington-Dry Drayton-Madingley-Coton-Grantchester-home, a total of 17
miles or so with a total climb of not very much at all.

We were out for 2 hours, though that did include a pleasant hair-of-
the-dog at the pub in Grantchester! All in all a very enjoyable
morning, and one that made me resolve to get out of town more
frequently.

I did notice that drivers of all sorts of vehicles seem to give
cyclists more space and tolerance on the country roads. One small
green car followed us from Dry Drayton to Madingley, about 1.5 miles,
giving plenty of distance and generally being very considerate. There
were other examples of such considerate driving, but that was the
outstanding one. My brother normally commutes through Highgate, and
he commented that the headwinds around Cambridgeshire are sufficient
that he doesn't miss the hills that much - even though there was only
a mild breeze. Maybe I should relocate.

Now to persuade people to give me new wheels for my birthday...
Old June 16th 09, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Henry Lockwood :
I did notice that drivers of all sorts of vehicles seem to give
cyclists more space and tolerance on the country roads.

It seems to vary wildly by where you are. Ben Harris and I did 4 200s in
March (well, I did 4, he unfortunately had a frame failure at 70km on one)
and rode quite a lot of them 2 abreast. Lots of mad honkers in Essex.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Gouday, June.
Old June 16th 09, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Henry Lockwood :
I did notice that drivers of all sorts of vehicles seem to give
cyclists more space and tolerance on the country roads.

It seems to vary wildly by where you are. Ben Harris and I did 4 200s in
March (well, I did 4, he unfortunately had a frame failure at 70km on one)
and rode quite a lot of them 2 abreast. Lots of mad honkers in Essex.

proximity to london or other large cities doesn't help, the surrey lanes
are lot busier than most of the lanes nr my folks place. and there is
corasponding lack of urgency to pass.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast

This weekend's rides Tom Crispin UK 0 January 25th 09 06:02 PM
One free registration for this weekend's CT two day MS ride dschroth Rides 0 September 12th 07 03:40 AM
Ride Report - Century Ride of the Centuries - Pendleton OR - May2006 John Calnan Rides 0 June 1st 06 11:59 PM
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
weekend's UPD counts! leadpan Unicycling 1 July 5th 05 07:23 PM