Looking for a 0degree, 120mm, 31.8 road stem...?

Old February 27th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Looking for a 0degree, 120mm, 31.8 road stem...?

I would have scoffed at this question 10 years ago, and have used them
interchangeably on various incarnations of various bikes. What can I
say, I guess I'm getting matchy-matchy in my early-onset middle-age.
The slower I get, the fancier the bike

I recently picked up a full-carbon fork. A zero degree, 120mm, 31.8
stem would put me dead on the sweet spot. 0degree road stems, however,
seem pretty ususual, though I think Thomson makes an mtb one.

So, in my trepidation about cracking my steerer and whatnot, I wanted
to see if anyone knew of any practical difference between the two? I'd
assume that the mtb stem would be a skootch heavier, which is fine. Is
that it? Anybody know of any manufacturers beyond Thompson making
them?

Thanks,
Scott

P(reemptive)S(trike): Yes, I know, torque wrenches, steel is real,
flip a z degree stem, carbon is _____, greasy tapers, holy wars, yada
yada....
Old February 27th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SconnieRoadie

On Feb 27, 11:53*am, Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

Salsa useda make a buncha different road stems matching your
criteria. Not sure they do anymore. The Thomson x4 is like 175
gms... vs around 150 for the same dimensions in x2 road. Don't sweat
the 25 gms. Maybe wear only one sock if you are really concerned.

SconnieRoadie
Old February 27th 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Feb 27, 2:27*pm, SconnieRoadie wrote:
[...]

Yep, what I figured.
Old February 27th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Feb 27, 8:53*am, Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

Easton EA90. I have one. It's light. 130g for the 120mm model, about
20g more than the EC90 carbon one. Easton markets it for both road and
XC-MTB use.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Easton-EA90-Stem-11

Thomson Elite Road Stem (120mm) $45 shipped Andy M-S Marketplace 0 May 31st 08 01:15 AM
WTB: 120mm road stem SL Marketplace 3 March 25th 06 03:22 PM
FA: Easton EA70 Road Stem 120mm 31.8 Perfect 4 Carbon Bars Phatykoko Marketplace 0 May 17th 05 05:45 AM
WTB: 1" 120mm 0 degree quill road stem [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 2nd 05 03:44 PM
FS: Ritchey WCS Road Stem 84/120mm 26.0 Bikeparts Marketplace 0 August 26th 04 07:29 PM