My Cannondale Broke . . . Again

Old July 19th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default My Cannondale Broke . . . Again

BEATTIE is this your name ? BEAT TEE ? Jay, tellus: why are you breaking frames ?
Old July 19th 12, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Andy,

after years experience sizing riders, can you categorize frame breakers, equipment destroyers ???

beyond 210 pounders riding 28c Cannondales
Old July 19th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jul 18, 7:06*pm, James wrote:
On 19/07/12 11:25, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Jul 18, 11:31 am, *wrote:
right. rational purchase. also why I do not own or look for Al or Ti. Cdale's always impress when I walk in for artfulness in exploiting consumer visual satisfaction. Yet when I rode a Cypress, lightness and quickness came with hard inflexibility. Prob caws their wheels are 100% tighter than mine.

Interesting marketing approach. Kinda unique. Racing cars mmay do this.. OUAT Lotus was know for it. You were faster but always with a prob of the car falling apart at 150.

15X ! *geee that Tuscan was expensive

http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/material-world.html

I've had (and have) Cannondales that have lasted decades. *I still own
a 1987 T1000 and have a Cannondale cross bike. *That bike is solid as
a rock, and rides like one too. *Good for cross and commuting, but it
can't take the place of a light racing bike.

I like light bikes -- not bleeding edge, super-light *-- but
reasonably light. *So I get light-ish frames with good warranties.
This warranty cycle was started with the purchase of a Cannondale 2.8
in 1991/92 -- my wife and I were practically Beta testers on that
one. *This will be my third warranty replacement for that frame. *I
don't know what I'll get this time in the way of a warranty
replacement -- I haven't heard from the rep yet.

Look at it this way, I had no lifetime warranty on all the steel
frames I broke, although I did have access to a torch and some brass
filler, but then I had to pay for a paint job -- and ultimately, my
tastes in geometry changed. *And those frames were boat anchors
compared to my Al frames -- and some re-broke. *BTW, I got my first
Cannondale -- a first generation 1984 model, after breaking a steel
frame and as a quick replacement. *I broke the derailleur hanger on
that one and got a free replacement, even though there really was no
warranty issue. *The bike that replaced that one, a Black Lightning,
lasted 20 years of hard riding until it just wore out and broke. That
one was not replaced on warranty -- Cannondale had to draw the line
somewhere.

In the long run, my Cannondale frames have been the gift that keeps on
giving. *I have no problems with lifetime warranties. Now, if any of
them had broken catestrophically, I might feel differently. *And I
don't like being without a bike while I go through the replacement
cycle. But that is a relatively small price to pay. -- Jay Beattie.

This is the way many go. *A friend is on his 3rd or 4th Avanti CFRP
frame. *Every 2 years or so, a tiny crack develops (that may just be in
the paint), and Avanti replace with the latest top of the line in their
range.

How much do the Cannondale Al road frames weigh?

Just curious. *My current steel is 1.7kg (no fork). *My previous 2 steel
frames were about 1.8kg each. *Same friend as above has a custom Ti
frame from Baum (expensivo) that weighs 1.2kg.

I haven't been so good at breaking frames, though I did break one Al
frame. *I have bent a couple of steel frames in crashes, and retired one
after 10 years. *Someone else now rides it, and loves it probably more
than I used to!

Many plastic fantastic frames are under or around 1kg these days.

I have never owned a "modern" steel frame. My old frames were SP or
SL or 531. The 2.8 was 2.8 lbs -- 1270 g -- without fork, and the
CAAD 4 was probably about that. Frame and fork maybe 1700-1800g. My
old steel frames were probably twice that with cast BBs and lugs and
crowns. One of those Cinelli fully sloping crowns weights a lot.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 19th 12, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/18/2012 10:02 PM, datakoll wrote:

Andy,

after years experience sizing riders, can you categorize frame breakers, equipment destroyers ???

beyond 210 pounders riding 28c Cannondales

I can't.

As with wheels, some riders just chew up equipment. Those
risers are not always the bigger more muscular guys either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 19th 12, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Ura breaking frames is the frames fault ?

not likely

you're doing something unusual.

other wise Cdale would be out of biz.

occasionally.

do you break rims ?

is the garage piled deep with debris ?
Old July 19th 12, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

some ride on tho there's a GREAT CLATTERING SQUEEKING NOISE from the dropouts...

some never look or analyze then POP CLACK

'oh, I never thought of that'

but some are kinda absent minded preoccupied storng but uneven on their feet, shifty like given to jumpings cars at Caesars Palace even in the imagination.
Rust on the car's bodywork...there's a qualifier

keeps wanderingh off to unrelated seemingly subjects conversation....never uses subjects in sentences...incomplete thoughts....

We could do a survey in Portland vs Cambridge

Old July 19th 12, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

Old July 19th 12, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Jay, have a Specialized Tarmac contest email ? Spec is dying to have you as a customer.
Old July 30th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Eh, I've broken my '99 Litespeed Ultimate, sounds like roughly the same spot. Had Bilenky weld in a new bullet end. Ti is durable stuff (as my oft-crashed Ocoee can attest), but nothing is forever.

This thread kinda reminds me of when I was working construction. Guys would drop a Craftsman saw off a roof to get it no-questions-asked warranteed.

Not that I'm accusing you of foul play. 20 years would be a bit excessive.

I broke my T7 ridingwithscissors Unicycling 1 January 28th 08 08:24 AM
Broke 100 on RSU underdog Unicycling 2 April 27th 06 07:07 AM
oh no! not again! (broke something) wobbling bear Unicycling 5 March 10th 06 04:12 PM
I broke it again BigWheelTex Unicycling 8 October 3rd 03 09:32 AM
Big toe might be broke onefiftyfour Unicycling 15 August 28th 03 05:04 PM