training/racing in Atlanta

Old March 7th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default training/racing in Atlanta

I'm considering moving to Atlanta soon, from Minneapolis. Excited about
the change in climate but wondering what the cycling situation's like.
How hard is it to get out of town? What's the terrain like? how hard is
it to find hils? I'll be working near Lenox Square Mall if that means
anything (north of downtown). Any real mountains within driving
distance? Healthy racing scene? What are the good pro bike shops?

Old March 7th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Chris Wiggins wrote:

I'm considering moving to Atlanta soon, from Minneapolis. Excited about
the change in climate but wondering what the cycling situation's like.
How hard is it to get out of town? What's the terrain like? how hard is
it to find hils? I'll be working near Lenox Square Mall if that means
anything (north of downtown). Any real mountains within driving
distance? Healthy racing scene? What are the good pro bike shops?

Atlanta's got some pretty good hills and has a pretty good roadie scene
along with a quickly growing fixie crowd. The north GA mountains are
only a couple of hours away as well.

Are you moving out to the 'burbs or staying inside I-285? (local lingo:
ITP=inside the perimeter, OTP=outside...) I ask b/c Peachtree Street is
on a ridge and relatively flat compared to the streets that run
perpendicular to it. As such, it makes for a great commute.

My uncle is more of roadie crowd and does about 3 large, fast-paced
group rides a week if that gives you any sort of reference.

Not sure what you mean by how hard it is to get out of town, but we've a
great interstate system (due to white-flight) if that's what you mean?

HTH & feel free to ask me any other questions.
\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology