How long do your splined cranks/hub last?

Old February 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Default How long do your splined cranks/hub last?

I am just curious as to what others have found for the long term
durability of splined cranks and hubs. I know they last WAY longer than
square taper, because I have broken two square taper hubs within my
first year of riding, and my splined hub has lasted me 3 years so far
but...

My cranks are starting to wiggle quite a bit now(read several
millimeters at pedal), they have been doing it for some time but they
are starting to bug me just a little bit. Before you start lecturing me
about maintenance and ant-sieze, I will say that I fully disassemble my
cranks, washers, and bearings, clean them all, and re-lather the
anti-sieze. I also checck my bolts for tightness every time I
ride.However, after 3 years of bad tecnique and abusive riding, there
is more play between the splines than I would like, but the splines
show no apparent damage. My spacers(2 per side per bearing) are severly
deformed, but I dont' believe that they are the problem.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is it just that the overall wear and
tear is catching up with me? This is my first pair of splined cranks,
so I can't say I have a huge base of personal expirience to lean back
on. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

-matt

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Old February 23rd 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I hope my splined crankset(s) will last indefinitely, but I'm sure it
depends on how much abuse they get. What's missing from your post was
anything to indicate what kind of crankset you were talking about. Mine
is Profile, and the right side always creaks. This leads me to believe
that wear & tear is happening just from hard cranking up & down the
hills. The many splines in a Profile crankset are very small compared
to the few, larger splines in most other brands of crankset.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 23rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Whoops sorry, I though I had mentioned that they are profiles. 170 mm. I
do mostly abusive riding on pavement due to the lack of dirt trails
around here... I've dropped up to about 5 and a half feet to flat
pavement with much less than perfect tecnique, and I do lots of stalls
and climbs and attempted grinds and crap like that, so I know that I am
very hard on them.

Old February 23rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
trials_uni

ive had my '03 KHs for a year now and they've been ridden relativey hard
by me and others. As long as you keep care of them up then you should
be fine...Do regular spline maintenance and your splines should last
forever....look in my sig for a link to a guide.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'And the Spline Maintenance Guide!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52195)*UPDATED!!!With
Video*

BillyTheMountain wrote:
Hey thanks! The unicycle community needs more people like you, willing
to out Bike Suprematists and stand up for the rights of unicyclists!
I'm puttiing you in for an Award at NAUCC!

Old February 23rd 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

I don't think you read my firts post. I do regular maintenance on my hub
and cranks. I was shown first hand by a very good rider how to maintain
splines and I have done so. My cranks were doing great after a year of
hard riding too... but not so great after 3 years.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

Sounds like keyway slop.

http://tinyurl.com/29qq72

--
mscalisi
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old February 23rd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
entropy

madmattunipro wrote:
I don't think you read my firts post. I do regular maintenance on my hub
and cranks. I was shown first hand by a very good rider how to maintain
splines and I have done so. My cranks were doing great after a year of
hard riding too... but not so great after 3 years.

The profile interface between spindle & crank will wear down over time
and become sloppy as you describe...abuse tends to wear away the metal
a bit faster. It's a fact of life.

If you ever get a chance, try a new(er) set of cranks and see if the
situation improves. I have no source to cite, but I seem to remember a
discussion about the crank interface wearing out faster than the
spindle. You might be able to get away with new cranks, but I'm not
really sure if that is the case.

Yours have been used for three years? Sounds pretty likely that they
are just wearing out. Although, like Scalisi said, it could also be
keyway slop. Does the whole spindle jiggle, or just the crank arms?

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old February 24th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

As far as I can tell it's just the crank arms. I might take a closer
look at this keyway slop though too... I've never totally disected my
hub, so I really don't know how it all works in there, but maybe
tonight is the night to find out...

Old February 24th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

The splines on the Profile cranks and spindle are going to wear. That
is obvious when you notice how hard they are to remove when brand new
compared to how easy they are to remove when used for a while. But I
don't think the slop just due to wear of the splines will get to be
that noticeable.

You should replace the deformed spacer washers. They're aluminum and
deform after some period of use. The deforming may cause the crank
bolt to bottom out which would contribute to additional slop. Make
sure you're using enough spacers so that the crank bolts don't bottom
out when fully tightened. Dan's Comp sells replacement spindle spacer
washers and so does Unicycle.com. Your LBS can also order them. See
if that tightens things up and reduces the slop.

Also check that the spindle is centered in the hub. If one side is
longer than the other you can correct it by using more spacers or by
getting more aggressive an physically recentering the spindle but there
are risks with that.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old February 24th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

madmattunipro wrote:
[...]

my DX cranks do the exact same thing. they have done it for a while and
its getting worse and worse, mine is probably 5mm. it SUCKS. I'm almost
ready to just smear some plastic epoxy alll over it and just say screw
it to maintaining them.

I think the problem is actually that the splines stretch (jsut a tiny
bit), because I know that I used to have a little trouble putting them
on, but now, its REALLY easy
they also fit on a QU-AX hub (perfectly), but they aren't supposed to.

I have had it for almost a year now
done up to 14 foot drops (into sand) I did it 2x.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272