Remind me...

Old October 12th 04, 12:59 PM
the black rose

Default Remind me...

..... never to eat a big lunch in the middle of a 25 mile ride.

Especially remind me never to eat a big lunch in the middle of a 25 mile
ride with a big hill one block AFTER the restaurant stop.

It was only my second club ride, and the first one with a lunch stop in
the middle, so I wasn't really thinking about how much I ate.

I made it up the hill, but I was seeing spots by the time I got to the
top. I'm pretty sure that if I had any coronary artery disease, I would
have had a heart attack right then and there. My old carcass needed to
decide whether to give blood to my gut to digest my lunch, or to the
rest of me to get up the hill. Lunch won.

I think I hit 100% VO2max long enough to really blow the gunk out of
every disused corner of my lungs. I was coughing it up the rest of the
ride.

Lesson learned, hehe.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 12th 04, 01:13 PM
Roger Zoul

the black rose wrote:
|| .... never to eat a big lunch in the middle of a 25 mile ride.

Wow....you must be new to exercise, huh? Big meals and exercise don't work
together.

|| Especially remind me never to eat a big lunch in the middle of a 25
|| mile ride with a big hill one block AFTER the restaurant stop.

What did you eat? When I ride, I don't think in terms of "lunch" or regular
meals. It's small frequent feedings along the way.

|| It was only my second club ride, and the first one with a lunch stop
|| in the middle, so I wasn't really thinking about how much I ate.

Did they call it a lunch stop as opposed to a rest stop? What the the rest
of them eat? Was the stop just around lunch time? Curious.

|| I made it up the hill, but I was seeing spots by the time I got to
|| the top. I'm pretty sure that if I had any coronary artery disease,
|| I would have had a heart attack right then and there. My old
|| carcass needed to decide whether to give blood to my gut to digest
|| my lunch, or to the rest of me to get up the hill. Lunch won.
|| I think I hit 100% VO2max long enough to really blow the gunk out of
|| every disused corner of my lungs. I was coughing it up the rest of
|| the ride.
|| Lesson learned, hehe.

Hmm....newbie. Of course, 25 miles ain't that far, so maybe that's why they
were doing lunch. But I don't even like to get on my bike if I'm even near
feeling full.

Old October 12th 04, 01:24 PM
Bert L.am

"the black rose" schreef in bericht

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43981029fHkMTt
Michael is the one wearing a hat and waving his arms?

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 12th 04, 04:25 PM
dgk

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:59:50 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

[...]

I have no problems with biking right after eating a big meal. I often
stop for Taco Bell on the way home from work but that's only 12 miles.
Plus it's pretty flat with only a few modest hills so I don't have to
work too hard.

Seriously though, I find that I sometimes have to poop shortly after
eating. That bothers me when faced with a longish bike ride. But there
seems to be something about riding or perhaps exercise in general that
shuts down both that and the need to pee. I very rarely have to do
those while on even a longer ride, like the 43 mile 5 borough tour
here in NYC or one of the group rides. There must be something that
shifts the body into a pee/poop conservation mode.
Old October 12th 04, 05:15 PM
Leo Lichtman

"the black rose" (clip) My old carcass needed to decide whether to give
blood to my gut to digest my lunch, or to the rest of me to get up the
hill.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I was a kid, my mother used to tell me things like that--but then, she
used to tell me a lot of stuff I didn't believe. Now, sixty years later you
come along and confirm that she wasn't so dumb after all.

Old October 12th 04, 08:28 PM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
the black rose wrote:
|| Lesson learned, hehe.

Hmm....newbie.

Well, yeah. I never claimed otherwise.

-km

Old October 12th 04, 09:13 PM
Roger Zoul

the black rose wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: the black rose wrote:
::::: Lesson learned, hehe.
:::
::: Hmm....newbie.
::
:: Well, yeah. I never claimed otherwise.
::

no, and you are not alone, either.

Old October 12th 04, 09:59 PM
Badger_South

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:13:25 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

the black rose wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: the black rose wrote:
::::: Lesson learned, hehe.
:::
::: Hmm....newbie.
::
:: Well, yeah. I never claimed otherwise.
::

no, and you are not alone, either.

What I'm wondering is why we glossed over the fact that this is km's second
club ride. Way to go! Which group did you ride with, and how was the rest
of the ride?

We want all the details, leave nothing out! ;-D

-B

Old October 12th 04, 10:10 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
:: On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:13:25 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::: the black rose wrote:
::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::::: the black rose wrote:
:::::::: Lesson learned, hehe.
::::::
:::::: Hmm....newbie.
:::::
::::: Well, yeah. I never claimed otherwise.
:::::
:::
::: no, and you are not alone, either.
:::
::
:: What I'm wondering is why we glossed over the fact that this is km's
:: second club ride. Way to go! Which group did you ride with, and how
:: was the rest of the ride?

That's a good point. i've never been on a club ride. I wonder if km was
able to keep up, as that seemed to be a concern before, as I recall.

::