Cycling Sports Bar or Ken's Bike Racing Only Study Group

Old October 15th 04, 03:55 AM
TritonRider

Default Cycling Sports Bar or Ken's Bike Racing Only Study Group

I'd just like to get a handle on how people feel about this and nobody seems
to want to bring it to a topic so I will.
I've made it pretty clear that I view this as a great place to discuss racing
AND the world with people who care about the same things I do. That has worked
really well for me as we have a wide range of opinions and experiences that
contribute to great discussion.

The other side is that this is a Bike Racing newsgroup by charter. I
understand people's desire to keep it on topic and there is a lot of good
on-topic discussion.
Bill C
Old October 15th 04, 04:46 AM
Tim Lines

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Which means there's no provision for
controlling what people post. That's just the way it is.

I think the T-Mobile colors are gay. There. Now this post is on topic.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old October 15th 04, 06:10 AM
warren

In article , TritonRider
wrote:

I'd just like to get a handle on how people feel about this and nobody seems
to want to bring it to a topic so I will.
I've made it pretty clear that I view this as a great place to discuss racing
AND the world with people who care about the same things I do. That has worked
really well for me as we have a wide range of opinions and experiences that
contribute to great discussion.

The other side is that this is a Bike Racing newsgroup by charter. I
understand people's desire to keep it on topic and there is a lot of good
on-topic discussion.
Bill C

I find it annoying to click on a thread that used to be about something
related to cycling only to find out it's gone off into yet another
political discussion-mostly a rant. And then it happens the next time I
click on that same thread-I mean, who would guess that some of these
thread subjects have become just another political rant? At least the
stuff about Kerry and his bike was a little funny but then that got
hijacked too.

There, that's my vote.

-WG
Old October 15th 04, 06:45 AM
Tim Lines

From: Tim Lines

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Which means there's no provision for
controlling what people post. That's just the way it is.

I think the T-Mobile colors are gay. There. Now this post is on topic.

--

Tim, I do feel guilty occasionally, when the **** hits the fan for being OT. I
haven't been here that long, and I have great respect for what Ken has put into

That was before my time, but I think I know what you mean. That's kind
what I was getting at. I can't get too wound up about controlling Crit
Pro. I might as well try to supervise the migrations of lemmings for
all the good it would do me.

I didn't notice Ken complaining in all those baseball threads. There
were a lot of them, so could have missed something, I suppose. Even a
lot of the cycling threads are only barely about cycling and there's
room for complaint. If he truly wanted to police the group, I imagine
it'd be a full time job. Since he doesn't raise the issue multiple
times a day, he seems flexible. The place where I've noticed him
suggesting that we need to drop it has been in political discussions.
Maybe that's just because he called me a "dork" earlier tonight that it
stands out. I haven't been called a dork since 8th grade. Anyway, I'm
not completely oblivious to his complaints about political discussions.
They tend to get especially disrespectful, so I can see his point.

At least that's the way it looks to me. Ken can straighten me out if he
wishes.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old October 15th 04, 08:27 AM
Sierraman

"TritonRider" wrote in message
I'd just like to get a handle on how people feel about this and nobody

seems
to want to bring it to a topic so I will.
I've made it pretty clear that I view this as a great place to discuss

racing
AND the world with people who care about the same things I do. That has

worked
really well for me as we have a wide range of opinions and experiences

that
contribute to great discussion.

The other side is that this is a Bike Racing newsgroup by charter. I
understand people's desire to keep it on topic and there is a lot of good
on-topic discussion.
Bill C

When this OT stuff becomes commonplace, someone needs to bring it back to
center. I am glad Pappy is doing it, as he takes a lot of heat along the
way. Someone needs to do it. I stay clear of political threads and just
about everything else except cycling, leaning more conservative toward less
is better and on target, race related of course, especially the other half.

Old October 15th 04, 12:00 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

I have little ability to not respond to certain off-topic posts, but
would greatly prefer if those posts were not started at all.

I at least promise not to start them.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 15th 04, 04:33 PM
Danny Callen

From: "Sierraman"

When this OT stuff becomes commonplace, someone needs to bring it back to
center. I am glad Pappy is doing it, as he takes a lot of heat along the
way. Someone needs to do it.

I agree that without Ken and a few others to keep things under control

this
place would be a mess. RBS is a disaster IMO and I don't think any of us

want
that here. I was just trying to guage where the line is, or what. I did

like
the fact that during the Tour when there was a lot to discuss we stayed
on-topic on purpose.
Bill C

I've been around for quite a while (not as much as others), although
obviously I go in and out. Some of the off topic posts are hilariously
entertaining which I thnk adds a little color to the group; however, I have
noticed that unless I'm on every day that weeding through the "crap" becomes
difficult. I think keeping technical discussions to rec.b.tech is a good
idea and keeping "FS" and auctions to rec.b..marketplace is a good idea as
well. (Pappy certainly help with that!) However, part of me thinks if we
stayed anally on-topic the group would become boring and die. I mean if I
didn't have Warren busting my chops for riding my snowmobile down to dunkin
donuts and henry calling me a dumbass every minute or so, I would go insane.
Thanks for keeping me in check!!!!!! Maybe now I'll get my fat ass back
training and on the racing circuit and go kick a little bootay!

Danny Callen