Bang for buck with a new bike?

Old March 27th 08, 10:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Default Bang for buck with a new bike?

I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
somewhere between $500-1500.

What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000, and look at bikes from
all major compaines at that price, will there be much of a difference if you
go for the same style, ie, downhill, xc....?

Thanks

Micheal

Old March 28th 08, 03:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marz

On Mar 27, 5:04*pm, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:
I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
somewhere between $500-1500.

What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000, and look at bikes from
all major compaines at that price, will there be much of a difference if you
go for the same style, ie, downhill, xc....?

Thanks

Micheal

For a $1000 you're looking for the best frame you can get with maybe
lower end components. For example the Specialized BigHit is $2900 with
quality components and $1750 with lower quality components, but uses
the same frame. You're going to break and wear out components anyway
so you can upgrade over time.

The major companies are all competing very closly so there's not alot
of difference in pricing. Look at some of the slighty small companies
(mongoose, jamis, scott) as you may get a better deal there.

Don't buy an '08, but a new unsold '07 or even '06 bike.

For a $1000 you going to get a...

low end DH bike
mid to low end XC bike
nice single speed rigid.

Best of luck looking.

Marz
Old March 28th 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per Micheal Artindale:
I will be looking at getting a new mtn bike this spring. I will be spending
somewhere between $500-1500.

What I was wondering is if you take a price of $1000

My take is that the best bang for the buck would be a used bike
if you could find one that's appropriate.

When I think of the baths I've taken when selling bikes that
didn't fit me, it's almost pathetic.....

Only catches are that you have to know what you are looking
for... and you have to find it.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 2nd 08, 04:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

My take is that the best bang for the buck would be a used bike
if you could find one that's appropriate.

When I think of the baths I've taken when selling bikes that
didn't fit me, it's almost pathetic.....

Only catches are that you have to know what you are looking
for... and you have to find it.
--
PeteCresswell

What he said. I've given up buying new, but I'm cheap and don't mind
working on stuff to get it right. When I've sold bikes, I've tried to make
sure they go to somebody who gives me a good feeling about the deal, because
certainly I've taken a "bath" as Pete says.

On the buying side, I was amazed to chat with a lady in our neighborhood the
other day and find out she had just purchased a Cannondale Rush from a local
retail outlet. I asked her if she intended to take up serious riding, and
she replied that she just wanted to ride some rougher "walking" trails in
comfort and was told this was just the ticket. I can only assume the
salesman told her about the ticket, but I don't know that for sure. She is
a sweet lady, but off-roading is NOT her style.

I expect that bike will be on the market next year to clear out the garage.
Regardless of your opinion of Cannondale (or other major brands), it will be
a screamin' deal for somebody, at least compared to retail.