Installing new chain

Old July 23rd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
waxbytes

Default Installing new chain

I was putting on a new HG73 chain when the directions fell out of the
box engrish side up. I made the mistake of reading them. According to
Shimano, the chain is stronger if the new connection is made on the
forward (in direction of travel) end of a link. They don't say why.
Anyone know why?

--
waxbytes

Old July 23rd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

waxbytes wrote:
I was putting on a new HG73 chain when the directions fell out of the
box engrish side up. I made the mistake of reading them. According to
Shimano, the chain is stronger if the new connection is made on the
forward (in direction of travel) end of a link. They don't say why.
Anyone know why?

I thought this was only an issue with Shimano 10-speed chains because
of their very thin sideplates. But I honestly can't visualize how it
makes a difference. I know it's been discussed here before.

Art Harris

Old July 23rd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Z The Wheelman

"Forward end of the link"??? Shimano has created directionally biased
chains now?

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old July 25th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roberto Divia

waxbytes wrote:
I was putting on a new HG73 chain when the directions fell out of the
box engrish side up. I made the mistake of reading them. According to
Shimano, the chain is stronger if the new connection is made on the
forward (in direction of travel) end of a link. They don't say why.
Anyone know why?

This was AFAIK mentioned only for 10 speeds chains. The reason was to ensure
a smoother engagement of the chain.

I would buy a QuickLink and forget about all this (and many other problems).

Ciao,
--
Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
Dep:PH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen
Old July 25th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Roberto Divia wrote:
waxbytes wrote:
I was putting on a new HG73 chain when the directions fell out of the
box engrish side up. I made the mistake of reading them. According to
Shimano, the chain is stronger if the new connection is made on the
forward (in direction of travel) end of a link. They don't say why.
Anyone know why?

This was AFAIK mentioned only for 10 speeds chains. The reason was to ensure
a smoother engagement of the chain.

I though so too. But follow the link below to see a pdf of the HG73
Manual.

http://tinyurl.com/ffm2v

Also, I seem to recall that there is preferred side to insert the
special pin (inside to out, rather than outside to in).

Sheldon? Peter?

Art Harris

Old July 25th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

waxbytes wrote:

I was putting on a new HG73 chain when the directions fell out of the
box engrish side up. I made the mistake of reading them. According to
Shimano, the chain is stronger if the new connection is made on the
forward (in direction of travel) end of a link. They don't say why.
Anyone know why?

That way if the outer plates are splayed out they would not be so likely
to snag on something.

Art Harris wrote:

I seem to recall that there is preferred side to insert the
special pin (inside to out, rather than outside to in).

Sheldon? Peter?

I don't use those (I'm a Sram Powerlink guy) but I'm pretty sure it
doesnt matter. Most folks install the pin from the right side, just
because it's more accessible that way.

Sheldon "Likes Lots Of Shimano Stuff, But Doesn't Use Their Chains" Brown
| As far as I know, none of my immigrant ancestors |
| arrived with a passport, visa or work permit. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 25th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Nelson

Sheldon Brown wrote:

(I'm a Sram Powerlink guy)

I avoid Shimano chains also but got frustrated with SRAM Powerlink as I
found them annoying to remove. I've had a much easier go at link
removal with the Wipperman Connex link. Anyone else find this to be
true?

Chris

Old July 25th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Chris Nelson wrote:
Sheldon Brown wrote:

(I'm a Sram Powerlink guy)

I avoid Shimano chains also but got frustrated with SRAM Powerlink as
I found them annoying to remove. I've had a much easier go at link
removal with the Wipperman Connex link. Anyone else find this to be
true?

For my road bikes Shimano chains (DA) work better for me than SRAM -- much
quieter, mainly -- but I use the SRAM Powerlink to join 'em. (All 9-spd.
stuff; no experience w/ 10-spd.)

It's SRAM all the way on the mtbs, however. Shimano chains broke too often
(might have just been a rotten apple, but impression tends to linger)...

Sorno

Old July 25th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
waxbytes

Hmm... well the right way to connect a chain sure is thought provoking,
especially when honkin' up a steep grade out of saddle. Oh well, I
followed the directions, guess I gotta hope Shimano's translator isn't
harbouring a grudge about Hiroshima...

--
waxbytes

Old July 26th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Starr

On 25 Jul 2006 10:40:22 -0700, "Chris Nelson"
wrote:

Sheldon Brown wrote:

(I'm a Sram Powerlink guy)

I avoid Shimano chains also but got frustrated with SRAM Powerlink as I
found them annoying to remove. I've had a much easier go at link
removal with the Wipperman Connex link. Anyone else find this to be
true?

Chris

I've never had a problem disassembling a 9-speed PowerLink. But I keep
my chain, reasonably clean.
if you study the link, so you understand how it works, I think that
helps.
As long as the Connex works for you, don't worry about it.

Life is Good!
Jeff